Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-08-2011, 11:29 AM   #141
Recycles dryer sheets

It’s general election day, and today when I voted I realized that a year from now when we are all voting for the next president of the United States, that I will be retired.

Now that brought a smile to my face!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2011, 02:16 PM   #142
Recycles dryer sheets

Nice!

I went to the dentist, and they gave me a reminder card about my appt in 6 months. I went to my work computer and started to put the appt in my calendar, then realized I would not have the account in 6 months. :-)
BellBarbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:31 PM   #143
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellBarbara View Post
Nice!

I went to the dentist, and they gave me a reminder card about my appt in 6 months. I went to my work computer and started to put the appt in my calendar, then realized I would not have the account in 6 months. :-)
I remember doing that, and thinking, "what will I do? I rely on calendar reminders all the time!"

Google calendar is great. And for the really important stuff you can have it send a text to your cell phone.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:42 PM   #144
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I remember doing that, and thinking, "what will I do? I rely on calendar reminders all the time!"

Google calendar is great. And for the really important stuff you can have it send a text to your cell phone.
Google calendar is indeed great. If it seems like overkill once you are retired, you can always just leave text note reminders on your computer desktop. I leave mine in my Excel file (the one I check every day, with my investments, personal finance, budget, etc). That seems to work for me.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:16 AM   #145
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

OMG!! I had to mention my plans to retire in 2012 yesterday. My boss came up to me and asked if I would like to get the next installation of several very nice advances in technology. Of course I would! I am a geek. But, the learning curve is steep and in reality i would not be putting it to full use until the next school year. So, I turned acted very indifferent to it.

Later, to explain my seeming indifference, I informed the boss that since I probably would not be here next year, it would be better for somebody else to get the technology this year, and start to master it.
I believe this was the right thing to do.

So the cat is out of the bag, the beans have been spilled and the pancakes have hit the griddle. And I am getting nervous at the thought of actually not working and not getting a paycheck. What have I done

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:40 AM   #146
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
OMG!! I had to mention my plans to retire in 2012 yesterday. My boss came up to me and asked if I would like to get the next installation of several very nice advances in technology. Of course I would! I am a geek. But, the learning curve is steep and in reality i would not be putting it to full use until the next school year. So, I turned acted very indifferent to it.

Later, to explain my seeming indifference, I informed the boss that since I probably would not be here next year, it would be better for somebody else to get the technology this year, and start to master it.

So the cat is out of the bag, the beans have been spilled and the pancakes have hit the griddle. And I am getting nervous at the thought of actually not working and not getting a paycheck. What have I done
It's not bad to let the business know you intend to retire or leave. And it's normal to have some butterflies. If you are confident in your preparations you can change that confused face for a smiley one.
Quote:
What have I done

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:43 AM   #147
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post

Google calendar. I was not aware of this - but I don't use The Google very much. I do need a calendar and like that text reminder function - very helpful for those of us approaching senility. Good tip. Thanks

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:14 AM   #148
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

I think you have a great set of ethics in passing on the latest technology based on your plans. Hopefully your boss appreciates it as well.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:47 PM   #149
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm really a 2013-er, but....lately the fed govt. has stepped up offering "early outs" to employees who meet certain time & age requirements, and I'm well past those, so....

They made the offer last year & I wasn't ready. Next time, if & when...I might have to really consider it. As it stands right now, I'm due to check out in January '13. If they make an offer sometime around the mid-year mark, I might be persuaded to jump into the class of 2012.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:15 PM   #150
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
I'm really a 2013-er, but....lately the fed govt. has stepped up offering "early outs" to employees who meet certain time & age requirements, and I'm well past those, so....

They made the offer last year & I wasn't ready. Next time, if & when...I might have to really consider it. As it stands right now, I'm due to check out in January '13. If they make an offer sometime around the mid-year mark, I might be persuaded to jump into the class of 2012.
That sounds like a good plan. I hope it works out for you.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:38 PM   #151

Right now, it's more of a dream than a plan...

Old 11-10-2011, 06:55 PM   #152
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think my agency has had any early outs since I retired in 2009, so I know what you mean; it's a dream that could come true, but not something you can count on. Still, either way you will retire before too long. You can't lose.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:11 PM   #153
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:

My wife and I work for the Fed too and after 26 years of service we both decided to take the VERA early out with the 25K buyout each. At age 50 and 51 it is a big move, but with our little FERS pensions and our saving over the last 26 years we will be free at last Jan 31,2012. We plan to not dip into Tsp/401k funds until age 65 letting it grow tax free and just use our after-taxed saving. Looking forward, Federal Taxes will be our greatest headache. We have zero deductions.
aeross60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:50 PM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeross60 View Post
My wife and I work for the Fed too and after 26 years of service we both decided to take the VERA early out with the 25K buyout each. At age 50 and 51 it is a big move, but with our little FERS pensions and our saving over the last 26 years we will be free at last Jan 31,2012. We plan to not dip into Tsp/401k funds until age 65 letting it grow tax free and just use our after-taxed saving. Looking forward, Federal Taxes will be our greatest headache. We have zero deductions.

That sounds great to me! I wish my wife was a fed, but she's not. No pension at her job, just her 401k which isn't so much now, but she'll continue to max out for another 4 yrs till she retires at age 55. As far as my situation, I'm under CSRS, so even though I do have money in my TSP, and have been maxing out for the last few years, still isn't as big as it would be if I were getting matching $$. Also, mister stock market has been less than friendly to me lately However, I'm currently have nearly 35 years service, and will do ok with the pension. In addition, at age 60, my AF reserve pension will begin. Hoping to not have to touch wife's 401k or our Roth IRA's, but more than likely will be dipping into my TSP to some degree. Due to WEP, I'll get a very small SS (maybe $250) at age 62, and wife will get her SS at 62 as well. She is designated to receive 55% of each of my pensions if I pre-decease her.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:56 PM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I don't think my agency has had any early outs since I retired in 2009, so I know what you mean; it's a dream that could come true, but not something you can count on. Still, either way you will retire before too long. You can't lose.

I work for Defense Contract Management Agency, which is a sub-agency of DoD. Last year they circulated an email to see who might be interested in signing up for an early-out to occur in Sept. 2010. I could have gone, but they weren't offering any cash incentives, plus going out 2 years early would cost me 4% off my pension (2 yrs x 2%) plus....my TSP wasn't where I wanted it to be yet (doubt it ever will be) so I declined. Next time I'm thinking I might have to look seriously at it. There's a lot of buzz about another offer maybe early to mid 2012. The TSP still needs some help, but like I said, probably always will to me. I could probably live with taking maybe a 1% or 2% cut to get out early. I hear WalMart is looking for a greeter..

Old 11-10-2011, 08:08 PM   #156
Full time employment: Posting here.

While I told my principal of my plans last spring to retire after this school year and most of my colleagues know, i never intended to tell the students. It just didn't seem cool.

Today a third grader raised his hand and asked if this was my last year. When i asked him where he heard that, he replied, from Mrs. C*****. (their teacher). I went ahead and admitted it and they were sweet to moan and act bummed. But, I am bummed that they know. Can't pinpoint why it bothered me, but it did.

However, a new librarian will be exciting and fun for them and that part is good.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:21 PM   #157
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
I work for Defense Contract Management Agency, which is a sub-agency of DoD. Last year they circulated an email to see who might be interested in signing up for an early-out to occur in Sept. 2010. I could have gone, but they weren't offering any cash incentives, plus going out 2 years early would cost me 4% off my pension (2 yrs x 2%) plus....my TSP wasn't where I wanted it to be yet (doubt it ever will be) so I declined. Next time I'm thinking I might have to look seriously at it. There's a lot of buzz about another offer maybe early to mid 2012. The TSP still needs some help, but like I said, probably always will to me. I could probably live with taking maybe a 1% or 2% cut to get out early. I hear WalMart is looking for a greeter..
We are lucky that we took the offer when we did cause now they are trying to backout of the initial offer by adding a quota to the language for the number of employees who can retire early. I don't think they can do that, but they will try anyway and at the same time we are still hiring. Go figure, that's our government.
aeross60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:15 PM   #158
Give me a forum ...

I guess I could squeeze more out of retirement by working longer, but in the last 3 years I have seen so many of my friends and relative either die or face life-changing illnesses that I want the time not the money. I can make up for the 6% it will cost me by not buying a few things every year. What I can't get back is the time and my health.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:25 PM   #159
Dryer sheet aficionado

I may very well be joining this crowd. Looks like we'll be selling our business in the early part of the year, and part of the deal is working for the buyer for 6 months as a consultant. Not looking forward to that part. However, the goal will be for us to take a vacation for 2 weeks in September for our 20th anniversary and to celebrate retirement.

Still working out the details of the purchase so I can't start counting my chickens yet, but it certainly gets you thinking/dreaming.
marylandcrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:17 PM   #160
Give me a forum ...

Egads! Every day brings another.reason to retire.