Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #221
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

All else being equal, and if you have the time, I'd come back and finish the appraisals for your direct reports, and then go away for good. Others cannot give the people as fair a shake. Also, it will be remembered to your credit. Not as much as sticking someone else with the appraisals will be remembered to your discredit...but still.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM View Post
J...the question will be do I come back for a few weeks to finish up appraisals. I feel like it is the right thing to do. n.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2012, 09:05 PM   #222
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Definitely in 2013. Starting to shape up as either July or September. I put my house on the market this spring hoping it would sell before next spring. It sold in 11 days. The good news is my house sold. The bad news is I leased a townhouse for a year and am on the hook through June so I won't make my original time of May 1. When I retire, I'm outta here. I've got a cabin to build in Colorado before winter sets in.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #223
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
All else being equal, and if you have the time, I'd come back and finish the appraisals for your direct reports, and then go away for good. Others cannot give the people as fair a shake. Also, it will be remembered to your credit. Not as much as sticking someone else with the appraisals will be remembered to your discredit...but still.

Amethyst
In principle, I agree with you completely. And then I go to work and have days like today and wonder if my sanity is really worth it

But I suspect my respect for my current manager will convince me to do the right thing.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #224
Confused about dryer sheets

47 "get up" days and 92 calendar days left. 32 years with megacorp, outa there at age 50.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:49 PM   #225

I'm still undecided about the exact date...

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #226

I'm running into a snag. I gave a 6 month notice and tried to get my partners to buy my company stock. None of the partners are interested, but the company will buy it in exchange for a new employee contract. Their contract idea is me working 3-5 more yrs, 2 days a week in the office. I want a shorter time frame working remotely with less responsibility. This could get interesting.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:22 PM   #227
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar
I'm running into a snag. I gave a 6 month notice and tried to get my partners to buy my company stock. None of the partners are interested, but the company will buy it in exchange for a new employee contract. Their contract idea is me working 3-5 more yrs, 2 days a week in the office. I want a shorter time frame working remotely with less responsibility. This could get interesting.
Does your contract make them responsible for buying you out, or is it their option?
Old 10-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortInSeattle

Does your contract make them responsible for buying you out, or is it their option?
They will be responsible - they will not have an option. They'll do this in exchange for me working longer to give them a longer transition. I've sold stock twice already and I'm down to under $100k worth, but I don't want to leave this hanging when my current contract ends 4/1/2013.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:02 PM   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

Amethyst
+2

I'm in a similar position. If I go on 31 December 2012 (Plan B), it will have an adverse impact on bonus and promotion prospects for some of the local staff as well as resulting in my being excluded from the 2012 bonus pool. Plan C, is to hand in my notice immediately after the relevant decisions have been made in January/February which leaves me finishing sometime in the middle of 2013 (exact date to be negotiated). Oh well, at least it means I won't have to spend any of my nest egg until 2014.

(Plan A was to go at the end of last year but.....)
Old 10-20-2012, 07:31 PM   #230
Dryer sheet aficionado

Reporting in!

I haven't posted since January and I didn't start counting days until recently but I have chosen March 1, 2013 as my last day at work. Since I'm taking 3 weeks vacation in November and 1 week in December I think that makes me a short timer. I seem to be going thru a strange stage right now. I thought I would be really excited about retiring since I have disliked my job for quite awhile, but instead I am depressed and have a real empty feeling. Does anybody know if this is normal. I have plenty lined up to do when I retire but it really feels odd. I have been offered some part time work if I am interested. Sometimes I think that sounds ok but then I come to my senses and think I really want to break all ties. We are leaving on a 2 week cruise in early November and I am hoping that will get me out of this funk. I think I have around 72 actual work days left. I have met all my budget goals including paying off the mortgage. We are in good financial shape so I am not worried about that. I just can't beleive I am depressed over leaving a job I have so disliked. Many people at work have said they wish they were in my shoes. I agree but for some reason it just don't feel right.
CJ
Old 10-21-2012, 09:33 AM   #231

cjacks,

I can relate. I am tentatively planning to retire in Spring 2013. But I might have to force myself to do it, against my fear of the unknown.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #232

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjacks View Post
Does anybody know if this is normal. I have plenty lined up to do when I retire but it really feels odd.
I'm kind of barging in here (I'm so last year's class), but I think this is completely normal. No doubt everyone experiences it differently, but I think that some don't realize (myself included) that there can be two periods you may go through when you ER: first is the buildup and countdown to when you actually do it, and second is the adjustment time (cool-down) period afterward. Lots seem to immediately jump into all sorts of pursuits - as if they were still on a time clock - without taking their earned time-out.

Quote:
Many people at work have said they wish they were in my shoes. I agree but for some reason it just don't feel right.

I get more than a few "do you ever regret it?" type of questions from prior co-workers, and my answer is always an unhesitating "no". Sure, there is uncertainty, but there's also that when you emerge from the womb!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Class of 2013 update
Old 10-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #233
Recycles dryer sheets

Class of 2013 update

I told my partners at work that April 1, 2013 was it. There may be a few things I have to finish up that carry past that date, but I'm not coming to an office after that date and I'm not going to take on any new stuff that will run past that date.

After a really long time at the same place, it's a difficult trigger to pull, but financially and mentally, it's time.

The main comments I got were that they will miss me and "aren't you going to be bored?" Yes, I'll miss them, but no, I won't be bored.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:26 PM   #234
Recycles dryer sheets

Shoulda posted here, but I did another thread elsewhere.

I told my partners this week that April 1 is it for me. The comments I got were that they would miss me and "won't you be bored?". I think I will miss the people, but I'm sure I won't be bored.

We have some details to deal with-like health insurance, buying the company car I use, and finishing up any matters that run past April 1. There will be a few, but I'll do my best to avoid any new matters that will run past that date. As for the things that do, I feel it would be irresponsible to leave clients in the lurch.

As for the car, I told them when the lease ran out on my Infiniti M45 and I got the business to purchase a Subaru Outback for me to use that I intended to buy the Subbie when I retired and keep it for a long time, so this isn't a surprise to anyone. And the Subbie has performed just as expected-60,000 miles in 2.5 years, lots of trips to our other house and about 29 mpg on the highway. Good car for a retired coot.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #235

Hope you don't mind, 67, but I copied over your post from the new thread you started.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #236
Recycles dryer sheets

Its all good, Alan
Old 10-25-2012, 11:37 PM   #237

Quote:
I thought I would be really excited about retiring since I have disliked my job for quite awhile, but instead I am depressed and have a real empty feeling. Does anybody know if this is normal..... I just can't beleive I am depressed over leaving a job I have so disliked. Many people at work have said they wish they were in my shoes. I agree but for some reason it just don't feel right.
CJ
Quite normal. There are plenty of studies which show that major transitions in life do cause people stress.

But....I fell victim to "one more year" syndrome last year and I can tell you that the disappointment of deciding to stick it out for another year, and worry that "one more year" will become several more years, caused me far more anguish than any concerns I might have about the transition to early retirement.

If it really worries you, why not take the part time job you mention for a while to give you a gradual transition?
Old 11-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #238
Dryer sheet wannabe

Planning to go Jan/Feb just before turning 60. 32 years at a very Big corporation is enough, retiree medical makes it easier. At least Im staying to complete a current project. Much of the operation is moving to another state, so Its a good time to say goodbye, but I was unable to get a layoff/severance/unemployment deal out of it.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:15 AM   #239
Recycles dryer sheets

Was planning on June 1, 2013, but our office just took a big hit in loss of sales. Big boys are coming in from the US next week. Looks like I may end up the class of 2012. Don't know if I'm super excited or super depressed - maybe a bit of both. I'd have to move back to the US ahead of time and our house is leased until June. May need to just go sit on a beach somewhere.....be a Texas snowbird or Belize?? Oh the decisions I will have to make!
Old 11-04-2012, 05:22 PM   #240

Late to this thread, but my job situation might force me into joining. Around 6mo ago went from private business to employee status which has been a real (ahem) 'transition' to say the least. Now boss seems to be trying to force me into rather undesirable job (more hours & WAY more stress @ same-to-less pay). AM he approached me I was rather upset. I just could not accept new position and was facing difficulties of moving & re-starting my career elsewhere in mid 50's (due to contractual non-compete). But as days have gone by I'm coming to peace that I do have viable alternative. ER @ my age ain't THAT unusual, FP says DW & I are comfortably FI given our lifestyle, I have plenty of outside activities, and men in my family do not have great history of longevity. Ideally I was planning to w#rk few more years, but beginning to think matriculating into Class of 2013 (after contractual 90d notice by employer) may not be worst outcome to my occupational dilemma.