Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-18-2013, 10:42 AM   #341
Recycles dryer sheets

I like the "holding pattern" idea; I am there too; don't know what is going on with work, no one is talking.
We are FI now, but I am still working waiting to see what changes at work come down, may get laid off, with severance and vacation payout because the corp is being taken over by the banks.
The banks may offer key employees options to stay on after change of control, but I would probably take the payouts and RE.
Also, DW is looking at 2.5 years of working left to get to her goal of 30 years military time, but she is looking at jobs outside of the state which means a move, I would probably RE if we move since I don't really need to work anymore.

So “holding pattern” it is, maybe I will be able to set a date soon
DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #342
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67walkon View Post
70 days to go! But who is counting?

I'll be 63 so you youngsters should be showing me some respect! My wife is 58 but has been retired for quite a while.
"You talkin to me". Hey, I'll be 64 in June and DW turns 59 in July. I'm not yet in countdown mode, but the end of April is not far off.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #343
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
I'm officially in a "holding pattern". It's a nice feeling that I can go anytime I want to now. All requirements for pension eligibility are met. If I retired tomorrow, my net income would not be reduced, in fact it would go up just a hair, without withdrawals from my TSP. Of course, I'm used to contributing the IRS max, so my normal pay is a good bit lower than it would otherwise be. Still....between pension & withdrawal, we'd be just fine. Wife will work another 3 yrs or so, and we'll continue to pump up her 401k & the Roth IRA's as much as possible. I think it'll feel different coming to work now, knowing I don't have to if I don't want to anymore. When the time feels exactly right, I'll bail. It won't be long now...
MB-nice to see the "Days to Freedom: 0" in your sig line. Bet it feels good eh?
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
This, hopefully, last year at work is much tougher than I expected
Old 01-20-2013, 06:41 AM   #344
Full time employment: Posting here.

This, hopefully, last year at work is much tougher than I expected

I am still hoping/planning to pull the plug at w*rk by the end of 2013. I am not ready to make it official by adding my name to the 2013 list for a while yet. DW and I decided yesterday that we will make the decision on October 1st, and if it is a go I will give notice before Nov 1.

Problem is, this last year is turning out to be much more difficult at w*rk than I had hoped. I was hoping to get out before a new software system was implemented, but it was moved up to this year. This new software is proving to be a step backwards and basically requires more work and is much less user friendly than the software we already utilize. This implementation has alreadly been difficult as it requires me to travel a great deal the last several months and will continue another 3 months.

I would really like to get out now but I expect a very nice bonus coming my way just about the same time we "go live" end of April. Also, I don't want to jump out just as the going gets tough and leave my department in a lurch. So I bite my tongue and just keep plugging away. I truly hate going to work now much more than I ever did in the past.

I visit this forum daily just to keep my focus on our ER goal.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:13 AM   #345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
I would really like to get out now but I expect a very nice bonus coming my way just about the same time we "go live" end of April. Also, I don't want to jump out just as the going gets tough and leave my department in a lurch. So I bite my tongue and just keep plugging away. I truly hate going to work now much more than I ever did in the past.

I visit this forum daily just to keep my focus on our ER goal.
Tom-I'm in a different industry but a very similar situation; just a slightly longer timeline. I feel your pain. I've made a "To Do" list of things to complete before FIRE, which is helping me get through; helps me keep a positive focus. In addition to that, DW and I make sure we enjoy ourselves as much as possible in the meantime.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:28 AM   #346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
MB-nice to see the "Days to Freedom: 0" in your sig line. Bet it feels good eh?
Yep, it sure does!

Now all I have to decide is the exact date I WANT to stop working. Gonna be sooner rather than later...

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #347
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
Yep, it sure does!

Now all I have to decide is the exact date I WANT to stop working.
Gonna be sooner rather than later...
No time like the present, Marty. You're right in the middle of the Sharelunker program entry dates.
TPWD: Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center | ShareLunker Program

...open up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
i'm taking the plunge
Old 01-25-2013, 02:46 PM   #348
Dryer sheet wannabe

i'm taking the plunge

Been watching this site for years. Learned a lot. I think I was suffering from "one more year" syndrome until corp announced a huge layoff. Boss made sure i was on list. (Good guy, not bad guy). My last day is March 8th. Got a lot of work to do if i plan to be on the road in my rv by May!
azauthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:06 PM   #349
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by azauthor View Post
Been watching this site for years. Learned a lot. I think I was suffering from "one more year" syndrome until corp announced a huge layoff. Boss made sure i was on list. (Good guy, not bad guy). My last day is March 8th. Got a lot of work to do if i plan to be on the road in my rv by May!
Well that is definitely one of the better ways to go (DH got a similiar incentive in Dec). Congratulations!
KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:13 PM   #350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
No time like the present, Marty. You're right in the middle of the Sharelunker program entry dates.
TPWD: Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center | ShareLunker Program

Yeah, I know! Where I currently work and live 4 days a week, I'm 15-20 minutes from Sam Rayburn, and have never once fished there! I used to fish Toledo Bend, Caddo, Lake O' The Pines, etc etc regularly, but not at all lately. On the Louisiana side, I've spent countless hours on the Red River and all the lakes within a couple hrs of Shreveport. I've fished Lake Fork maybe a dozen times or so. You'd think I'd be dying to get out there, and I actually am. It's just that work is getting in the way these days. I'm holding off till I retire to get another boat. I put fishing on the back burner when I moved up north back in '08, except for just a handful of trips with friends. Sold my boat, and put it mostly out of my mind. That's about to change though...very soon. This year. Might be a little later in the year, though.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Thought i would ease into retirement
Old 01-29-2013, 04:47 AM   #351
Recycles dryer sheets

Thought i would ease into retirement

-So! Company decided that they didn't want me working remotely - I now just have 8 more days of work, then move back to the US, a slight transition as I turned down a big job, and I am off to RE land - floating between despair and giddyness. Looks like I am going to get what I wanted. I've got boats to build....
Throwdownmyaceinthehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:15 AM   #352
Recycles dryer sheets

43 working days after today. Or do I get President's Day off, making it 42?
67walkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:43 AM   #353

Wow, looks like several people targeting end of March.

I haven't fixed a date with w*&k yet but that will likely be my date as well.
jon-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:14 AM   #354
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm planning RE 10/15/2013

After 58th birthday (7/17/2013).
After vesting in company stock (8/29/2013).
After vesting in a small pension (7/1/2013)

And before that BIG pile of year end work starts 11/1/2013.
(I'll get 75% of the years pay, and do 25% of the years work).
Grigori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #355
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grigori View Post
I'm planning RE 10/15/2013

After 58th birthday (7/17/2013).
After vesting in company stock (8/29/2013).
After vesting in a small pension (7/1/2013)

Isn't that how it should be getting all the goodies and leaving a nice sampling of w*rk for those that will carry on once you leave. Congrats to the class of 2013! We are a happy lot not worried about the unlucky number 13. To us it is all good.

T-bird
Class of 2013
DW Class of 2012
T-bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:02 PM   #356

DW put her retirement paperwork in this week. She will retire june 1st.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:00 AM   #357
gone traveling

50 work days left till April 30, as I'm taking every Friday off
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:23 AM   #358

Ahhhhhhh, FINALLY this long month (basically it was 5 weeks) is nearing its end. And then that means only one more month for me (and 19 w*rk days)! No wonder I'm in a good mood today.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:00 AM   #359
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grigori View Post
I like it!
cinman2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:02 AM   #360
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
50 work days left till April 30, as I'm taking every Friday off
Good idea. I'm taking off every Friday and a whole week sometime, so I have 30 working days until April 1st.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote