Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-31-2013, 07:56 AM   #361
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Good idea. I'm taking off every Friday and a whole week sometime, so I have 30 working days until April 1st.
Although the work load hasn't changed at all, I am amazed at how much stress this has relieved for me, alot of which was caused by commuting back and forth to work. I almost can't imagine what the full time effect will be

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #362
Dryer sheet wannabe

I was originally planning on this being my last day of work. Upcoming layoffs, and the generous severance package, caused me to not give notice yet. Boss says its unlikely ill be hit, but 60 day notices go out in about two weeks. My lead wants me to stay on two months longer to complete one of his projects.

I guess the problem is that I am not able to "let go" of this job. I thought that deciding to retire and better yet, get a layoff, would cause me to relax and not stress about work anymore. Its not happening that way. Instead, it seems ive put my personal life on hold, waiting for retirement to start on my "to do" lists.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #363
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by azauthor View Post
Boss made sure i was on list. (Good guy, not bad guy).
I'd love to swing this one...any tips?
Old 02-03-2013, 07:33 PM   #364
Recycles dryer sheets

40 work days to go! And yes, I am counting.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #365
Dryer sheet wannabe

73 scheduled work days left, we shall see how many sick days there end up being in that number.....

Congrats to us!!
Old 02-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #366
Recycles dryer sheets

Poor Heather. 40 sounds pretty good. Although I have lots of stuff to do in those 40 days and now things are getting scheduled past my departure date. Gotta work on that issue.

My official position is that I am not retiring, I'm just not going to work as of April 1 and they're not going to pay me. IF, and unfortunately there will be a few things for a bit, I have to work on something, I will get paid 30% of the receipts from my work. My wish is that there isn't much of that, but on the other hand, my hourly rate is $350, so getting paid $105 for each hour of work somebody makes me do isn't all that bad. I won't have to go to an office, I won't have to worry about overhead and I won't have to do any work if I don't want to do it. But my wife and I don't want me to do anything work wise unless it is just absolutely necessary.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #367

It's starting to feel real to me. I submitted my TSP forms to max out my 401k + catch-up in the next 7 paychecks. I will retire mid May, hopefully on Friday the 10th.

I'm also plotting out my summer road trip plans. Since breaking my ankle 4 weeks ago I've had to adjust my long distance backpacking plans. I think I will head to the Canadian Rockies and do a series of 3 - 5 day backpacking trips instead of one long multi-week trip.

I am getting excited! Here's to the class of 2013 !!!!!
Old 02-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #368

I've been asking myself recently, why do I bother continuing to work? Is it just inertia, I planned to retire in May, so I'll retire in May? Why don't I just bail now? Called the retirement office and discovered that given the time needed to process the paperwork, if I waffle for just a little while longer, "retire now" and "retire in May as planned" become the same thing for all practical purposes.

Another of life's thorny little problems solved by a bit of judicious procrastination.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #369
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Don't ya just love it when a plan comes together...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #370
Recycles dryer sheets

Days to retirement - 1 Meeting with accountants at 9, haul unaccompanied baggage up to Perth, move furniture out of apartment. Party tonight. Fly home on Tuesday.....Can't believe it is finally here.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:22 PM   #371

Congratulations Thowdownmyaceinthehole.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #372
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwdownmyaceinthehole View Post
Days to retirement - 1
Congrats!!!
Old 02-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #373

Congrats ...Ace...! It's good to see some 2013'ers starting to fall out of the working world.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #374

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67walkon View Post
My official position is that I am not retiring, I'm just not going to work as of April 1 and they're not going to pay me. IF, and unfortunately there will be a few things for a bit, I have to work on something, I will get paid 30% of the receipts from my work. .... I won't have to go to an office, I won't have to worry about overhead and I won't have to do any work if I don't want to do it.
I've been offered a similar deal once I take my "career break" later this year (I'm not supposed to use the "R" word). Having an office + secretarial and tech support for a while longer is convenient and I won't have to do anything unless I feel like it.

234 calendar days to go ....
Old 02-10-2013, 06:13 AM   #375
Dryer sheet aficionado

Well, I'm down to 15 get up days. For me the end has been really strange. Hollow and disappointing are the first words that come to mind. Our company started in 1985 with 4 people in a one room office. Today we have 250 people in a 500,000 sq ft. Mfg facility. I have served as the VP of Operations for almost 28 years. At 63 I am just walking away. Many seem puzzled as to why I have no interest in part time or consulting. I don't even know why I feel the way I do. The owner's son is taking over the company and he is nothing like his father who I have worked for for over 40 years. While I like and get along with the son, I don't care for his approach to business and ever day affairs in the company. The son has an MBA and over reacts a lot but he does have good intentions. However, he is continually adding rules and policies. The environment has become sterile and by the book. I have found peace by saying things are just different. (As opposed to worse) I just want the last 15 days to end. I think once I can concentrate on my new future I will feel much better. I have a very active future planned. I found out they are planning a big "surprise" retirement party which I was hoping to avoid. I feel like I gave it everything thing I had, I just ran out of gas. I am trying to care, or act like I care, but underneath I just don't give a dam anymore. I sure hope when I wake up on March 2, I feel better.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:27 AM   #376
Recycles dryer sheets

Cjacks sorry you have to end such a long stay with the same company on a somewhat sour note. I am looking at 32 w*rking days and have gone through a number of changes at work that while not as severe as yours sounds still make you wonder a bit. One thing for sure by the time I get to my "day" you would have already started to sort things out for the better I'm sure. For me the w*rk was just a means to an ends. It's hard after so many years to look at it that way but for me it helps that and how much I have been looking forward to not having to worry if I turned on the clock before going to bed. You know we put in our years, do the best we can, and after that we walk out the door saying we have given all we had to give. Try to enjoy the last few days and feel good about what you have added to the company during your tenure. Best wishes and as I would say the folks I have w*rked with for many years that were retiring before me "I will be glad to see you go as it will be one less person for me to have to move past for my own retirement.

T-bird
Class of 2013
DW Class of 2012
Old 02-10-2013, 07:37 AM   #377

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjacks View Post
I have a very active future planned.

I sure hope when I wake up on March 2, I feel better.
It might take a little longer, but the sooner you start the active future part, the better.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #378
Dryer sheet aficionado

T-bird & Michaelb,
Thanks for your words of support and encouragement. I did speak to our former sales mgr. who retired last year. He experienced similar feelings, especially in the last few days. However, he said the first Monday he got up and realized he didn't have to deal with work was the best feeling he experienced in years. And each day it even got better.I am hoping for a similar experience. Thanks again!
Old 02-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #379

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjacks View Post
Well, I'm down to 15 get up days. For me the end has been really strange. Hollow and disappointing are the first words that come to mind. Our company started in 1985 with 4 people in a one room office. Today we have 250 people in a 500,000 sq ft. Mfg facility. I have served as the VP of Operations for almost 28 years. At 63 I am just walking away. Many seem puzzled as to why I have no interest in part time or consulting. I don't even know why I feel the way I do. The owner's son is taking over the company and he is nothing like his father who I have worked for for over 40 years. While I like and get along with the son, I don't care for his approach to business and ever day affairs in the company. The son has an MBA and over reacts a lot but he does have good intentions. However, he is continually adding rules and policies. The environment has become sterile and by the book. I have found peace by saying things are just different. (As opposed to worse) I just want the last 15 days to end. I think once I can concentrate on my new future I will feel much better. I have a very active future planned. I found out they are planning a big "surprise" retirement party which I was hoping to avoid. I feel like I gave it everything thing I had, I just ran out of gas. I am trying to care, or act like I care, but underneath I just don't give a dam anymore. I sure hope when I wake up on March 2, I feel better.
Cracks-

I'm sure you will feel better on or around 2 March. Congrats on FIREing and on having the guts to exit.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #380
Recycles dryer sheets

cjacks, remember patience. You are KMA, so don't sweat the small stuff.

I've been in the same position for almost as long as you (38 years), have some good friends I will miss and a bunch of stuff I won't miss. It is kind of a bitter sweet thing for me and perhaps for you. I think we'll get over it.