Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-11-2011, 01:05 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Not really worried about TSP/401k money; I retired from Active USAF in '96 wife will retire FERS/ANG in 2-3 years (she hasn't decided) and with SS and pensions for both of us we never touch TSP/401k moneies; we intend on just using post tax accounts to live on. Downsize house to someplace we could rent and not have to worry about the maintenance. Do a bunch of traveling and maybe stay awhile in Europe if we like it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2011, 01:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
Nice! I could conceivably go out a little early, but I don't want the hit on my penson, plus it would complicate my plans for my TSP/401k money. So...gotta stick it out another 23 months.
I was in a similar situation, I needed to hang on until age 55 to qualify for retiree health insurance otherwise I'd have been out at 53.

In my case the 18 months after age 53 were such a drag, but once I got within 6 months things got easier and easier as the finish line was well in sight.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFA View Post
Not really worried about TSP/401k money; I retired from Active USAF in '96 wife will retire FERS/ANG in 2-3 years (she hasn't decided) and with SS and pensions for both of us we never touch TSP/401k moneies; we intend on just using post tax accounts to live on. Downsize house to someplace we could rent and not have to worry about the maintenance. Do a bunch of traveling and maybe stay awhile in Europe if we like it.

When I do retire, it will be under CSRS, and then at 60 I'll start getting my Air Force Reserve retirement pay, then at 62 a small SS check. Wife will keep working her private sector job until shortly before the military pay kicks in, so she can keep stuffing money into her 401k. My TSP is going to go for paying cash for our retirement home. If I didn't have the CSRS defined benefit pension, and later the military pension, I'd most likely feel more like I needed to hang on to the TSP money. But, since I'm CSRS and only started maxing it out a few years ago, there's going to be enough to buy our home but really not much more than that. Everybody's got thier own ideas about the importance of having a paid off mortgage, and to us, it's high on the list. The wife's 401k & our Roth IRA's will stay put, though. We'll continue to fund both until she retires. Wife will also qualify for SS at age 62.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:59 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I was in a similar situation, I needed to hang on until age 55 to qualify for retiree health insurance otherwise I'd have been out at 53.

In my case the 18 months after age 53 were such a drag, but once I got within 6 months things got easier and easier as the finish line was well in sight.

Fortunately, even if I did take an early retirement, I'd be able to keep my employer-subsidized health care benefits. Retiring early would only be possible if my employer, the US Govt. offeres it. They offered this past Sept. & I declined. I'm fairly confident the offer will come up again sometime this year, or next year. No insider info, just a hunch.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:10 PM   #25

Quote:
Fortunately, even if I did take an early retirement, I'd be able to keep my employer-subsidized health care benefits. Retiring early would only be possible if my employer, the US Govt. offeres it. They offered this past Sept. & I declined. I'm fairly confident the offer will come up again sometime this year, or next year. No insider info, just a hunch.
Keep us posted, we're all rooting for you back here on the bleaches.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:17 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

NLT 1/3/2013, 690 days, or 3 bad days in a row. Wife has 902 days.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:22 PM   #27

Old 02-25-2011, 06:22 PM   #28
Confused about dryer sheets

481 work days!
Old 02-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

748 Changed date to retire sooner based on projected bonus payout.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:40 AM   #30

I haven't calculated how many of my 692 remaining days are acutual work days, after subtracting weekends, holidays & vacation days. That number is the total of all days. Maybe I should do that. It might make me feel good!

Old 02-28-2011, 06:28 PM   #31

The class of 2011 (the one I'm in) has started a list in their thread collecting all the names of people in that class along with their age at date of ER. It's kind of fun to watch it grow... maybe you guys might want to do that as well? And... here's to your year!
Old 03-02-2011, 01:12 PM   #32

Name & age at projected year 2013 ER

1. martyb - 55

Old 03-02-2011, 01:13 PM   #33

Old 03-02-2011, 01:59 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Name & age at projected year 2013 ER

1. martyb - 55
1. martyb - 55
2. DFA - 54
Old 03-09-2011, 03:47 PM   #35

Old 03-18-2011, 12:11 PM   #36

672...!

Old 03-18-2011, 04:12 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

727!!
Old 03-19-2011, 06:56 PM   #38

Well...I just did the math, & if I subtract weekends, holidays & my other regular days off (I work Monday - Thursday, 10 hrs a day, off on Fridays), I can subtract a whopping 260 days from my total. That means I only have 411 actual working days left. I like that MUCH better!!!

And...that still doesn't include the 4 weeks vacation I'll be required to take this year or else I'll lose it, and any miscellaneous sick days that might come up. I won't take much sick leave though, if I can help it. Whatever I have left will get added to my retirement calculations.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:12 PM   #39

668/409
Old 03-25-2011, 10:33 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

Okay....I was originally was in the class of 2008, but the market plummeted and I am a worrier and decided against a 72T. I went back to work in late 2009 and things were going well until a merger and I was RIF'd in late 2010. I just accepted a new job and have a new min/max plan. I plan to work a minimum of 2 years maxing out the 401k plan to get me to the age of 55. If I enjoy the job, then I will work until 58 when DH retires. We are positioned well once we hit 59 1/2 for retirement....it was those in between years living off of one income (which is much less than 1/2 of what I can make) that got me back to work. I also realized that I would enjoy retirement more if we both were retired. So...I'm either class of 2013 or 2016.