Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #441
Full time employment: Posting here.

My last day was 2/22, which is not only Washington's birthday but is also easy to remember in its own right, because of all the "2"s. It somehow didn't quite seem real then, but I just got my last check today. Now I definitely feel retired. It was for a little over $54,000 (gross), which mostly represents a cash payment in lieu of years of accumulated leave. It's a good feeling - all the years of preparation and planning have finally come to fruition and I'm home free.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #442
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by karluk View Post
It was for a little over $54,000 (gross), which mostly represents a cash payment in lieu of years of accumulated leave.
Wow - that's great. But if I was managing that company, I'd fire the CFO and the HR Director. Most companies won't allow their employees to carry forward that much unused leave. Imagine carrying millions of dollars leave liability on the balance sheet.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #443
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, I was kind of thinking I might work till closer to the end of the year, mainly so I could rack up more leave to get paid for, and to also be able to keep putting $$ into my TSP. For some reason though, things seem to be getting more & more of a pain in the azz lately. I honestly don't know if I can make it till the end of the year. I'm eligible now, but was hoping to stick around just a few more months. Not sure I can hang on that long.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #444
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
Well, I was kind of thinking I might work till closer to the end of the year, mainly so I could rack up more leave to get paid for, and to also be able to keep putting $$ into my TSP. For some reason though, things seem to be getting more & more of a pain in the azz lately. I honestly don't know if I can make it till the end of the year. I'm eligible now, but was hoping to stick around just a few more months. Not sure I can hang on that long.
OMY can definitely be OMPITA.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #445

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
OMY can definitely be OMPITA.
I wonder if it only seems to suck more because I know technically I can walk anytime I want to now?
Old 03-08-2013, 04:03 PM   #446
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I found the reverse to be true. Because I didn't have to put up with all the BS if I didn't want to, I found it less irritating. I could sit in a meeting and listen to others drone on and on while smiling to myself, knowing I could walk anytime I wanted to.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #447

Makes sense, not sure why it's suddenly such a PITA. Yesterday, I challenged my boss pretty forcefully on a tele-conference with the rest of the team listening in...

Later the same day, I jumped a co-worker's ass who tried to hand me some of his work. Long story, but trust me, I was justified.

Until this year, I was pretty mild-mannered but I find I'm less & less likely to put up with any bs at work anymore. Maybe I'm just getting old & grumpy...lol
Old 03-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #448

I think it's because the end is in sight and you don't have to worry about burning any bridges. You don't have to take the BS.

Right now, I'm doing one of my boss's assignments because he doesn't have a clue. They want me to combine spreadsheets so everything is in one place and it can be linked. Unfortunately for them, the sheets can't be automatically linked and a lot of manual linking needs to be done each year. He won't have a clue come next year, even with all the sheets in one workbook.

Even though I have to work to the end of the year before retiring, I haven't taken any BS from them. I got an email from him saying I wasn't taking the assignment seriously, so I fired back that he didn't have a clue as to what was needed, because I was only told to work on a subset of the task. Only later did I find out I was to do all of it. Even then, they don't have a clue because they just don't know (boss and his boss both less than 1 year on job).
Old 03-08-2013, 10:54 PM   #449

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
Makes sense, not sure why it's suddenly such a PITA. Yesterday, I challenged my boss pretty forcefully on a tele-conference with the rest of the team listening in...

Later the same day, I jumped a co-worker's ass who tried to hand me some of his work. Long story, but trust me, I was justified.

Until this year, I was pretty mild-mannered but I find I'm less & less likely to put up with any bs at work anymore. Maybe I'm just getting old & grumpy...lol
Me too !! I'm close and I can "taste it". Today I blew up pretty badly. I've found that I'm more "open" now - which means I speak my mind ALOT more. Most of it is griping about the BS. I wish I could more like REWahoo and sit back and smile to myself. Maybe I'll stick cotton in my cheeks to make it harder to talk LOL
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:51 PM   #450

Definite maybe on joining Class of 2013 in my mid 50's. Co just approved a roughly 3mo unpaid leave (with HI, FWIW). Two FA's say I'm comfortably FI based on last sev yrs actual expenditures, and last yr investment inc was well over actual expenditures. After Co's approval of leave request, I was at first exuberant at prospect of 3mo off..... then ER. Now somewhat uneasy. After 3mo off w#rk, what if I like it? ER earlier than I envisioned & constantly explaining to all why I'm "off w#rk" so 'young'. What if I DON'T like it? Then horrified at the thought of having to w#rk until the big dirt nap. FWIW- plenty of outside interests to keep me busy, but leaving behind 30+yrs of highly technical skill is tougher than I thought it might be. Overall I guess it's a good problem to have, but still not an easy decision to move on with next phase of life.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:00 AM   #451

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
Definite maybe on joining Class of 2013 in my mid 50's. Co just approved a roughly 3mo unpaid leave (with HI, FWIW). Two FA's say I'm comfortably FI based on last sev yrs actual expenditures, and last yr investment inc was well over actual expenditures. After Co's approval of leave request, I was at first exuberant at prospect of 3mo off..... then ER. Now somewhat uneasy. After 3mo off w#rk, what if I like it? ER earlier than I envisioned & constantly explaining to all why I'm "off w#rk" so 'young'. What if I DON'T like it? Then horrified at the thought of having to w#rk until the big dirt nap. FWIW- plenty of outside interests to keep me busy, but leaving behind 30+yrs of highly technical skill is tougher than I thought it might be. Overall I guess it's a good problem to have, but still not an easy decision to move on with next phase of life.
Congrats!, but IMO, it will be real tough for you to go back to work after 3 mo's off. I have a lot of outside interests also. I agreed to stay on at 2 days a week for a year, but now find that I still don't have time for my outside interests. Now I somewhat regret agreeing to part time work. I hope you don't have any strings attached to your leave - such as the co requiring you to stay for x amount of time after the leave is done. You'll probably develop more outside interests during your leave that will make going back to work tougher than what you currently imagine.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:31 AM   #452
Dryer sheet aficionado

During my last three months I experienced both emotions. Sometimes I would listen to others drone on or complain about stupid polices and just smile and not say a word. Other times I would blow up when people would do stupid things. On a couple of occasions I spoke out about dumb things that had been going on for years. I think when you know you are leaving you feel free to express yourself anyway you chose. Before I decided to retire, I was very careful not to say anything that might offend someone. Also, I really lost my patience towards the end. I just couldn't stand people repeatedly doing or saying things that they had been told about over and over. At one point I actually made a list of the top ten people I would miss the least. I have to admit I then felt really guilty after the grand send off they gave me. I am guessing it is probably a little worse if you've been at the same job for a long time. Things tend to accumulate. Oh we'll I got my first week of retirement in and I have never felt better. I do need to start pacing myself a little, I have been trying to do everything I always wanted to do when I retired in the first week. I just about wore myself out. Although, I have appreciated the slow starts in the morning with an extra cup of coffee and no rush to start my day. The problem starts once I get moving.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #453

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjacks View Post
Oh we'll I got my first week of retirement in and I have never felt better. I do need to start pacing myself a little, I have been trying to do everything I always wanted to do when I retired in the first week. I just about wore myself out. Although, I have appreciated the slow starts in the morning with an extra cup of coffee and no rush to start my day. The problem starts once I get moving.
so you need a vacation from retirement ? love it ! very nice problem to have
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #454
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
ERhoosier: I felt the same way about "leaving behind my 30+ years of highly technical skill". I panicked about that several times.
Many of us here talk about our identity being defined by what our careers are/were. It does take some time to develop another identity in retirement, I think. But what's interesting to me is that I still think of myself as a psychologist (although my career was in applied psychology: consumer research), observing human behavior and musing about it. But what's cool about retirement to me is that you can develop other aspects of who you are as a person, now that you're not all wrapped up in the career aspects. It's not just the hobbies and interests per se, but what those hobbies allow you to express, which is usually creativity in some form. I never had the time or energy to be creative when w**king. Now I feel like I've gone back to my teenage years when I used to make stuff all the time.
I also feel like I can be more of a "real person" in dealing with others now that I'm not so stressed.
Jeez, I'm getting a bit too zen here. Just wanted to make the point that our technical skills are still a part of our identity, and that retirement allows us to become more multi-faceted and excellent people.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:03 AM   #455
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, after spending a couple of hours reading this whole long thread, I can only say that it is a pleasure to see the hopes and dreams of so many hard-working lives finally move into focus. To see them realized. There is an emotional journey behind each and every poster here, underlit by joy and hope. My congratulations to all who have already met their cherished milestone; and to all those who soon will!

I'll add my name to the list. I'm planning on bailing on November 1st, giving notice in mid August.

Two weeks ago I paid off my mortgage early. That was done less for financial reasons than for emotional ones. One of the three must-meet milestones I long ago set for myself before retiring was to be entirely debt free. Felt almost surreal at first. But I'm getting used to it!

Now it's just a matter of tracking to my "Retirement Roadmap - 2013" - a long, involved spreadsheet that details all my revenue, expense, investment, and tax expectations through 2015.

1. martyb - 55
2. DFA - 54
3. Chris2008 - 54
4. mystang52 (Glenn) - 60
5. SteveNU - 56
6. T-bird - 58
7. misty57 (DH) - 55
8. Coaster - 53
9. Helen - 56
10. Rita-61
11. KM - 55 - March 15, 2013
12. Lau_Ann - 55
13. Ronstar - 57
14. Spokane2303 - 56
15. Donna - 58
16. ChrisC (and DW) - 58
17. Bikeknit - 60
18. Traineeinvestor - 47
19. Sheehs1 - 58
20. smurray5991 - 57
21. obgyn65 - 48
22. DFW_M5 - 63
23. Cjack-49
24. urn2bfree - 52 - December 1, 2013
25. ChainsBeGone-48
26. Seraphim - 57
27. Sarah in SC's DH -50 6/28/2013
28. BTravlin - 55
29. kyounge1956 - will be 57 - spring
30. jon-nyc - 44
31. Rickochet - 58 DW - 53 (She wants to work!!)
32. Lcountz
33. boatfishandnature - July 31
34. Jager (Jeff) - 60 - November 1, 2013
Old 03-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #456

Double congrats, Jager.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #457
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I found the reverse to be true. Because I didn't have to put up with all the BS if I didn't want to, I found it less irritating. I could sit in a meeting and listen to others drone on and on while smiling to myself, knowing I could walk anytime I wanted to.

I have 83 days left (1 June) and I find myself doing the same thing. Most of what is being said is important to them, but it just isn't really that important to me any more. I do have to be careful, because I'm still compensated and I care about the people and organization and purpose, but mentally, I just know that all of these very real problems just won't be mine for much longer, and it makes all the difference in the world.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #458
Confused about dryer sheets

Please add my name to the class of 2013. Gave notice yesterday and will work until the end of June. Wanted it to be earlier, say end of April, but was talked into staying a little longer for a replacement to be found. I am 57 years young and really looking forward to the freedom of retirement. It doesn't seem real yet, and probably won't until I am actually free.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #459
Dryer sheet aficionado

Congrats! Retired life IS all its cracked up to be.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:33 AM   #460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future beach bum View Post
Please add my name to the class of 2013. Gave notice yesterday and will work until the end of June. Wanted it to be earlier, say end of April, but was talked into staying a little longer for a replacement to be found. I am 57 years young and really looking forward to the freedom of retirement. It doesn't seem real yet, and probably won't until I am actually free.

1. martyb - 55
2. DFA - 54
3. Chris2008 - 54
4. mystang52 (Glenn) - 60
5. SteveNU - 56
6. T-bird - 58
7. misty57 (DH) - 55
8. Coaster - 53
9. Helen - 56
10. Rita-61
11. KM - 55 - March 15, 2013
12. Lau_Ann - 55
13. Ronstar - 57
14. Spokane2303 - 56
15. Donna - 58
16. ChrisC (and DW) - 58
17. Bikeknit - 60
18. Traineeinvestor - 47
19. Sheehs1 - 58
20. smurray5991 - 57
21. obgyn65 - 48
22. DFW_M5 - 63
23. Cjack-49
24. urn2bfree - 52 - December 1, 2013
25. ChainsBeGone-48
26. Seraphim - 57
27. Sarah in SC's DH -50 6/28/2013
28. BTravlin - 55
29. kyounge1956 - will be 57 - spring
30. jon-nyc - 44
31. Rickochet - 58 DW - 53 (She wants to work!!)
32. Lcountz
33. boatfishandnature - July 31
34. Jager (Jeff) - 60 - November 1, 2013
35. Future beach bum - 57__________________

There ya go. Welcome!