Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #461
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I found the reverse to be true. Because I didn't have to put up with all the BS if I didn't want to, I found it less irritating. I could sit in a meeting and listen to others drone on and on while smiling to myself, knowing I could walk anytime I wanted to.
This is definatly my case. Also find my inbox to have less stuff in it and it almost appears that they are just happy to have me come in and piddle around. Had one person this morning comment that she probably couldn't slap the smile off my face and she is right. It feels a bit strange but in a very very good way. Having a lunch retirement farewell gathering on the 27th which is my last day. I told my boss that I will just eat and fade off into the sunset. Pinching myself to really believe that it is almost here.

T-bird
Class of 2013 (9 days and counting)
DW Class of 2012
__________________

__________________
T-bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #462
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tequesta
Posts: 279
I have 2 more weeks to go. I feel like I'm chasing my tail--too many loose ends. Some of them, I just can't totally walk away from, but most I can. The clients will get over it. But boy, I sort of expected to just spend the last couple of weeks handing stuff off, getting 30 years worth of personal stuff out of the office and all that, but it's been really busy. I'm so looking forward to saying, "that ain't my problem".
__________________

__________________
67walkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:22 PM   #463
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Helen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67walkon View Post
I have 2 more weeks to go. I feel like I'm chasing my tail--too many loose ends. Some of them, I just can't totally walk away from, but most I can. The clients will get over it. But boy, I sort of expected to just spend the last couple of weeks handing stuff off, getting 30 years worth of personal stuff out of the office and all that, but it's been really busy. I'm so looking forward to saying, "that ain't my problem".
Congratulations, Walkon. I have 2 more months. I am already saying "that ain't my problem". I've been moving away from the longer term stuff and doing more of the daily IT operations work. I like that work better anyway, I find it more rewarding.

I have been busy outside of work too. I just finished our taxes, I have a relative coming for a visit on Saturday and I have an 8 hour GPS class on Sunday. In addition, my mind is moving toward retirement. I am lookiing for a small used van to buy and starting to plan where I want to go and what I need to take with me.

I've also been sidetracked by the ankle I broke in early January.

It's all good, the time is flying by.
__________________
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:23 AM   #464
Moderator
Ronstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: A little ways southwest of Chicago
Posts: 9,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67walkon View Post
I have 2 more weeks to go. I feel like I'm chasing my tail--too many loose ends. Some of them, I just can't totally walk away from, but most I can. The clients will get over it. But boy, I sort of expected to just spend the last couple of weeks handing stuff off, getting 30 years worth of personal stuff out of the office and all that, but it's been really busy. I'm so looking forward to saying, "that ain't my problem".
I'm in a similar situation - two weeks to go (kind of). After that I'm going to the office a day a week to continue training my replacement. (in exchange for the co buying me out). So I'm not really chasing my tail. My replacement has been doing most of my work for the last few months, so I really have nothing to wrap up, and I've taken all of my personal stuff home. My clients are working with my replacement, but I haven't mentioned specifics to them.

And I have a similar "that ain't my problem". Shortly after selling the last of my co stock, I still found myself dictating workflow/scheduling. The president of the co said "that is no longer your concern", so "no longer my concern" is my motto.
__________________
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:31 PM   #465
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tequesta
Posts: 279
The only issue is that I have clients who want me to do things and I can't really just walk on them. But I'm working on it. There are 2 categories-those I like and those I don't care all that much about. I'll deal with both, but one group is sure easier than the other. And about 100% of the "those I like" category applaud me not going to work.

It may take a few months of adjustment by the clients, but I am so ready to just get past it.
__________________
67walkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #466
Moderator
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Eee Bah Gum
Posts: 21,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Congratulations, Walkon. I have 2 more months. I am already saying "that ain't my problem". I've been moving away from the longer term stuff and doing more of the daily IT operations work. I like that work better anyway, I find it more rewarding.

I have been busy outside of work too. I just finished our taxes, I have a relative coming for a visit on Saturday and I have an 8 hour GPS class on Sunday. In addition, my mind is moving toward retirement. I am lookiing for a small used van to buy and starting to plan where I want to go and what I need to take with me.

I've also been sidetracked by the ankle I broke in early January.

It's all good, the time is flying by.
It all sounds great, and the time should just fly by.

With a GPS class you shouldn't have any problem finding your way home

Reading your post has reminded me to change the maps card in our hand-held GPS for our hiking trips in England in a few weeks time.
__________________
Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55, moved to England in May 2016
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:42 PM   #467
Recycles dryer sheets
KM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 391
1. martyb - 55
2. DFA - 54
3. Chris2008 - 54
4. mystang52 (Glenn) - 60
5. SteveNU - 56
6. T-bird - 58
7. misty57 (DH) - 55
8. Coaster - 53
9. Helen - 56
10. Rita-61
11. KM - 55 - March 15, 2013 - RETIRED
12. Lau_Ann - 55
13. Ronstar - 57
14. Spokane2303 - 56
15. Donna - 58
16. ChrisC (and DW) - 58
17. Bikeknit - 60
18. Traineeinvestor - 47
19. Sheehs1 - 58
20. smurray5991 - 57
21. obgyn65 - 48
22. DFW_M5 - 63
23. Cjack-49
24. urn2bfree - 52 - December 1, 2013
25. ChainsBeGone-48
26. Seraphim - 57
27. Sarah in SC's DH -50 6/28/2013
28. BTravlin - 55
29. kyounge1956 - will be 57 - spring
30. jon-nyc - 44
31. Rickochet - 58 DW - 53 (She wants to work!!)
32. Lcountz
33. boatfishandnature - July 31
34. Jager (Jeff) - 60 - November 1, 2013

I will go in for a couple hours the week after next to be sure the new guy is all set, turn in my badge, computer, Blackberry, etc, etc

Didnt do much this week - but was surprised with a great retirement party on Wednesday.

Imagine spending your entire career trying to to be a certain type of manager.... You know some days you do better than others, but you hope that in the end you held true to your beliefs and values....and maybe made a difference. And then at your retirement party, one of your employees gets up to read a statement they put together about what you meant to them and what it was like to work for you. And it describes everything you tried to be....and you realize that maybe you didnt do too bad after all. It reduced me to tears.

Yeah - I am glad to leave the stress and anxiety behind - but I was truly blessed to work with some wonderful people.

I dont think it will really sink in until we hook up the fifth wheel in 3 weeks, hit the road, and realize we don't have to come back until we want to. That will be pretty awesome.
__________________
KM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #468
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 339
Congrats KM! Enjoy.
__________________
LauAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:52 AM   #469
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Duesseldorf, Germany
Posts: 1,005
I did the next step.
Have told my boss and HR that I will leave as DH will retire in summer.
We agreed that I will work full time till end of June and 3 days per week till end of Sept.

Company has the benefit of a smooth transfer.
I have the benefit of spending long weekends with DH all summer while I still have the company car ;-))
On Sept 15 we will leave to travel one month in Namibia - our first trip in ER.
DH is 61 and I will be 55 by then.
Life is good.

Thanks to this forum. I am not sure to have been determined enough without your life stories here.
__________________
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #470
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DFW_M5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2008 View Post
I did the next step.
Have told my boss and HR that I will leave as DH will retire in summer.
We agreed that I will work full time till end of June and 3 days per week till end of Sept.
That step does tend to provide increased peace of mind and less stress afterwards, congrats!
__________________
Doing things today that others won't, to do things tomorrow that others can't. Of course I'm referring to workouts, not robbing banks.
DFW_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #471
Recycles dryer sheets
Jager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 103
Congratulations, KM! Sounds like the perfect note to end things on...
__________________
Jeff
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #472
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,572
I have officially handed over my biggest single management responsibility - a committee that chewed up over 600 hours of my time last year. For some reason that I can't quite put my finger on my successor does not seem to be too enthusiastic about his new appointment.

Retirement date: 30 September, 2013
__________________
Budgeting is a skill practised by people who are bad at politics.
traineeinvestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:36 PM   #473
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
I have officially handed over my biggest single management responsibility - a committee that chewed up over 600 hours of my time last year. For some reason that I can't quite put my finger on my successor does not seem to be too enthusiastic about his new appointment.

Retirement date: 30 September, 2013
You obviously didn't sell the role well enough.
__________________
UserRequested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #474
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags View Post
You obviously didn't sell the role well enough.
Either that or the smile on my face has I did the handover.
__________________
Budgeting is a skill practised by people who are bad at politics.
traineeinvestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:20 AM   #475
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tequesta
Posts: 279
One week left! There are a few clients that want me to stay involved on some things, but I'm hoping that ends sooner rather than later. And I will get paid for that, even though I won't be coming to work. And if I generate any new work for the firm after I'm gone, I'll get a percentage of the revenue for the first year, so that isn't all bad.

It's a little scary and a little sad, but it is time and I'm looking forward to it.
__________________
67walkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:35 PM   #476
Recycles dryer sheets
Retire2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 392
Please add me to this Class of 2013. One more week till ER. Thank you!!!!!
__________________
Formerly known as "Retire 2014" Due to aggressive saving and a lot of luck managed to get out at end of March 2013, hence, the name change :)
Retire2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #477
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
obgyn65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: midwestern city
Posts: 4,061
Congrats !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire2013 View Post
Please add me to this Class of 2013. One more week till ER. Thank you!!!!!
__________________
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #478
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Live And Learn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tampa Bay Area
Posts: 1,689
Ok - I'm going to officially add my name but its contingent upon getting a severance package at work which I am dilegently trying to convince them they need to do !

1. martyb - 55
2. DFA - 54
3. Chris2008 - 54
4. mystang52 (Glenn) - 60
5. SteveNU - 56
6. T-bird - 58
7. misty57 (DH) - 55
8. Coaster - 53
9. Helen - 56
10. Rita-61
11. KM - 55 - March 15, 2013 - RETIRED
12. Lau_Ann - 55
13. Ronstar - 57
14. Spokane2303 - 56
15. Donna - 58
16. ChrisC (and DW) - 58
17. Bikeknit - 60
18. Traineeinvestor - 47
19. Sheehs1 - 58
20. smurray5991 - 57
21. obgyn65 - 48
22. DFW_M5 - 63
23. Cjack-49
24. urn2bfree - 52 - December 1, 2013
25. ChainsBeGone-48
26. Seraphim - 57
27. Sarah in SC's DH -50 6/28/2013
28. BTravlin - 55
29. kyounge1956 - will be 57 - spring
30. jon-nyc - 44
31. Rickochet - 58 DW - 53 (She wants to work!!)
32. Lcountz
33. boatfishandnature - July 31
34. Jager (Jeff) - 60 - November 1, 2013
35. Live And Learn - 50 - Targeting August 15 (OMG I can't believe it !)
__________________
"For the time being no discipline brings joy, but seems grievous and painful; but afterwards it yields a peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it." ~
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:28 AM   #479
Recycles dryer sheets
Retire2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
Ok - I'm going to officially add my name but its contingent upon getting a severance package at work which I am dilegently trying to convince them they need to do !

1. martyb - 55
2. DFA - 54
3. Chris2008 - 54
4. mystang52 (Glenn) - 60
5. SteveNU - 56
6. T-bird - 58
7. misty57 (DH) - 55
8. Coaster - 53
9. Helen - 56
10. Rita-61
11. KM - 55 - March 15, 2013 - RETIRED
12. Lau_Ann - 55
13. Ronstar - 57
14. Spokane2303 - 56
15. Donna - 58
16. ChrisC (and DW) - 58
17. Bikeknit - 60
18. Traineeinvestor - 47
19. Sheehs1 - 58
20. smurray5991 - 57
21. obgyn65 - 48
22. DFW_M5 - 63
23. Cjack-49
24. urn2bfree - 52 - December 1, 2013
25. ChainsBeGone-48
26. Seraphim - 57
27. Sarah in SC's DH -50 6/28/2013
28. BTravlin - 55
29. kyounge1956 - will be 57 - spring
30. jon-nyc - 44
31. Rickochet - 58 DW - 53 (She wants to work!!)
32. Lcountz
33. boatfishandnature - July 31
34. Jager (Jeff) - 60 - November 1, 2013
35. Live And Learn - 50 - Targeting August 15 (OMG I can't believe it !)
36. Retire2013 - 52 Last day of work is March 29, 2013

I just added myself to the list above. Hope this is how it is done.
Yeah!
__________________
Formerly known as "Retire 2014" Due to aggressive saving and a lot of luck managed to get out at end of March 2013, hence, the name change :)
Retire2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #480
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Live And Learn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tampa Bay Area
Posts: 1,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire2013 View Post
I just added myself to the list above. Hope this is how it is done.
Yeah!
I love how you were able to get out a year earlier than planned !!!

Must feel good to have 4 days left !!
__________________

__________________
"For the time being no discipline brings joy, but seems grievous and painful; but afterwards it yields a peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it." ~
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Microsoft workers to pay part of health care in 2013 dex FIRE and Money 40 11-02-2010 12:53 PM
FDIC limits raised until 2013 burch64 FIRE and Money 6 05-24-2009 09:51 PM
Obama Plans to Reduce Budget Deficit to $533 Billion by 2013 dex FIRE Related Public Policy 53 03-10-2009 03:39 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:59 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.