Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-10-2012, 10:50 AM   #101
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalou
Well, I am formally exiting the class of 2012 and joining 2013. The annoyingly flat market of 2011 did us in. But to make 2013 more certain, I have applied for a second part-time job (in addition to my full-time job plus a bit of independent consulting). After today, if I could retire in an hour, I would! But, wisdom prevails, and May 2013 it will be.
Sorry to hear about the delay, but I'm sure the time will pass quickly (especially while working so much). You will be glad that you were absolutely sure before making such a major change as retirement.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yeah, come on into 2013...we'll hold a seat for ya.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #103

I'm going to try to hang on until 12/31/2013. I've been cutting hours for a few years without a reduction in benefits. I should be working 2-3 days a week later in 2012 and 2 days a week or less in 2013. Sooner or later someone higher up on the food chain will catch on and give me the ultimatum - either work more, cut benefits, or retire. Then I'll have a decision to make.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:58 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I'm going to try to hang on until 12/31/2013. I've been cutting hours for a few years without a reduction in benefits. I should be working 2-3 days a week later in 2012 and 2 days a week or less in 2013. Sooner or later someone higher up on the food chain will catch on and give me the ultimatum - either work more, cut benefits, or retire. Then I'll have a decision to make.

That's probably what I SHOULD do (12/31/2013). I'd be able to stick another $22k in my TSP, which is in need of some healing after last year. I'd also like to get paid for another year's worth of vacation time. I'm officially eligible on 1/18/2013. I've got some thinking to do....cause I really wanna go as soon as possible. I would feel a little more confident if I waited though.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I probably shouldn't post on this thread (I'm so last year!), but I thought I might mention that it's a good idea to be able to leave with your head held high if you can
Old 01-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #106
Dryer sheet aficionado

I haven't picked an exact date but I'm 99.9% sure 2013 is my year. I am in the process of sorting things out. It will probably be either January or July. Right now I have several choices and options. I am still in the stages of enjoying the choices and options. It feels good to just be thinking about it.
CJ
Old 01-19-2012, 09:48 PM   #107
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't believe I have previously added my name to the Class of 2013 so I'm doing so now -- to be specific April 25, 2013 is the date I'm shooting for. The plan is to give the boss the news when we return from Christmas break 2012 so that I'll be giving about 3.5 months notice after 34 years at the same place of employment. Yeah -- pretty much my entire life. It's been mostly good and satisfying w*rk, though not overly lucrative, financially speaking. But after 30 years of LBYM I'll be able to ER @ 55.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:52 PM   #108
Full time employment: Posting here.

While I can retire on 12/31/2013 with full retirement benefits, my actual retirement date will be the following month. I don't want to take a chance on them screwing something up, like "helping me," by paying my last check and accrued leave on the last day of the year. I don't need to deal with a big tax hit in my last year of work.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #109
Confused about dryer sheets

I'll be turning 56 on the 25th. of December, 2013 and then I'll be checking out on: Tuesday, December 31, 2013.

Let's hang in there gang.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:35 PM   #110
Dryer sheet aficionado

I turn 56 on May 30th and on May 31,2012 I will retire with 35.5 years of service.

Happy Birthday too me!
Old 01-29-2012, 07:02 PM   #111

I learned a great figure of speech from one of my coworkers the other day. I don't know if she is ex-military herself or picked up the expression from someone else, but she told me that a deployment on board ship is typically for a year—when there are under 100 days remaining and you start getting antsy to be finished, it's called the "two-digit fidget".

Except for those who don't plan to retire until after mid-December, all members of the class of 2013 have under 100 weeks of work remaining before retirement and should be on the watch for symptoms of the "two digit fidget", such as
  • difficulty concentrating at work
  • making checklists of what you need to do to prepare for retirement
  • talking about your post-retirement plans
  • repeatedly checking your financial calculations
Old 02-04-2012, 07:28 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
I learned a great figure of speech from one of my coworkers the other day. I don't know if she is ex-military herself or picked up the expression from someone else, but she told me that a deployment on board ship is typically for a year—when there are under 100 days remaining and you start getting antsy to be finished, it's called the "two-digit fidget".

Except for those who don't plan to retire until after mid-December, all members of the class of 2013 have under 100 weeks of work remaining before retirement and should be on the watch for symptoms of the "two digit fidget", such as
  • difficulty concentrating at work
  • making checklists of what you need to do to prepare for retirement
  • talking about your post-retirement plans
  • repeatedly checking your financial calculations

I guess I've had the "two digit fidget" for 3 or 4 years....

Old 02-04-2012, 03:01 PM   #113
Recycles dryer sheets

Me too, Martyb!
Old 02-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #114

I guess it is time to declare my intentions to retire Dec 31, 2013 at the latest. So for now, I will assume I will make it out with the class of 2013! I will be 61 and DW will be 59. Not exactly RE in comparison to many here but earlier than anyone I know.

I am close to or at FI now but want to add a bit more padding. Since I will be totally on my own, no significant pension or medical coverage, I want to be sure.

So right now I have 23 months to go!

Tom
Old 02-23-2012, 08:56 PM   #115

Hey Tom52,

Congratulations on being able to see the light at the end of the tunnel...!

2013 for me
Old 02-25-2012, 04:18 PM   #116
Dryer sheet aficionado

2013 for me

Out in 453 days, short time after almost 30 years of same ol' same ol'.... but sometimes it seems far away and not real...
Old 03-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #117
Recycles dryer sheets

I've done 23 years in a part of the country I hate, in two jobs that I have not enjoyed (there was one good year). Been in present job for 7 years. I try telling myself that in retrospect bad years just telescope--I can't tell you much about the last five years, for example, or being in the hospital years ago--so the next year or two will also seem to evaporate after they have passed, no matter how long they seem to take to go by.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #118
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm planning to cut the cord June of 2013. To keep myself from getting too antsy, I'm making a checklist - or rather 2 checklists, of things to take care of pre-retirement - and things to tackle once I'm free.

The pre-retirement list includes things like buying individual health insurance and reviewing our budget, focusing my clothing buys on things like hiking shoes rather than pumps.

the post-retirement includes a long vacation my husband and I plan to take once I'm done, cleaning the attic... Some fun, some things that have been horribly postponed.

I find some old threads on this topic, but nothing recent. Any of you 2013 retirees making a list?
Old 03-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #119

DW has chosen July 1 2013 as her ER date. I regret that I could not convince her to ER when I did in 2009. At that time she enjoyed her job. Since then not so much.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:31 AM   #120
Dryer sheet aficionado

I am doing the same thing with lists- things that I want to get or do to be ready for retirement, and things I want to do once I get there, especially the first years. I'm getting out early to enjoy life, so I want to make sure I do that, the rockin' chair can come later.

Gee, the number has gone from 453 to 442 days since my last post, maybe it will go by faster than I thought.