Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-03-2012, 09:32 PM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
Gonna try to do that as much as possible, but with my mom being 82, I feel like I need to go visit at least once or twice, and she lives 1000 miles away.

If I go back again at Christmas 2012 to visit, maybe I can postpone further trips till after I decide to retire, later in 2013. But, then it goes back to my mom's age...I don't want to find myself feeling regret....
Marty, don't short yourself on spending time with your Mom. You could always work a couple of extra weeks to make up for the couple of extra weeks you spend with her. I'd give about anything to have a couple of more weeks with my Mom.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

June 1, 2013
Old 06-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #142
Recycles dryer sheets

June 1, 2013

My fire date set to June 1 - 347 days, 129 play days, 218 work days- DH has been 'retired' for the past 6 years and its time for me to join him. I really do like my job, if I could only have more sleep/play time

Old 06-18-2012, 10:33 AM   #143

I've known for quite a while, but this is my first entry to this thread, that I'm also in Class of 2013. Date not quite fixed, likely to be March 1, and worst case scenario should be no later than April 1.
I have SO MUCH fun away from work, and conversely hate my 9-5 life, that my RE can't come soon enough. I've mentally practiced my notice (just good ol' fashioned 2 weeks) untold number of times.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:58 PM   #144

Still undecided about an exact date...but it sure is sweet knowing I CAN do it on January 18th!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Skipping ahead a Year!
Old 06-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #145
Dryer sheet aficionado

Skipping ahead a Year!

Thanks to Obamacare; and, my new hero Chief Justice John Roberts, we're skipping ahead a year!

Health Insurance costs have vexed our ER plans for years due to DW's poor health. We had planned to ER in 2014, take advantage of Washington State's conversion rights to a group policy if you have current group HI coverage, and to pay the high insurance and pharmaceutical costs that this would have entailed.

Now (we're still hedging our bet and watching the Fall election) with guaranteed access; and, with the added bonus potential for subsidized premiums through careful control of our MAGI taxable income level, we're optimistically joining the Class of 2013!

365 Days to go!
Old 06-30-2012, 01:19 PM   #146

Congratulations, Spokane2303! What a great feeling to know you are now within a year of ER.

We are planning on bailing next year and were planning on COBRA then onto Oregon's portablity plan. The law won't change our retirement date, but it looks like it will make our health insurance premiums more affordable. Perhaps we will go from COBRA to the new Federal plan. It will be nice when we have access to more information on this.

I am happy for you! I think this New Year's Eve will have much cause for celebration
Old 06-30-2012, 06:43 PM   #147
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks Helen!

We will be on COBRA too for the last 5 months of 2013 to bridge us over into the insurance exchange in 2014. Fairly expensive; however, you can't take it with you and life is too short!

Yep, we really look forward to New Years Eve!
Old 07-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #148
Recycles dryer sheets

There's a possibility I may join the class of 2012. Things are looking that way. I'll have to cut back on expenses for a few months, but it looks like we will do ok. Still holding my breath!
Old 07-10-2012, 03:23 PM   #149
Full time employment: Posting here.

Okay, gonna go ahead and join up. December 31, 2013 it is. Might take a few months extra to wind things down in the business but I will back away from the keyboard and hand in my timecard for the paper mines and become one of the unproductive masses.. : o )
Old 07-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #150

While I will be eligible on January 18th in 13, it's more likely I'll wait till later in the year. The optimum time in 2013 (financially speaking) would be closer to the date mentioned by Koogie. I don't know if I can hold out that long, though........

Old 07-10-2012, 09:05 PM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
While I will be eligible on January 18th in 13, it's more likely I'll wait till later in the year. The optimum time in 2013 (financially speaking) would be closer to the date mentioned by Koogie. I don't know if I can hold out that long, though........
Marty-

As You are the founding member of the Class of 2013 thread...we are all rooting for you. You gotta do it in 2013, or we will all get 'one more yearitis', we will lose our resolve, the entire Class of 2013 will lose their mojo, the whole E-R forum will collapse upon itself, and the world as we know it will end.

No pressure though.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:24 AM   #152

I decided to transfer to this class from the class of 2012.
DH will work till 7/2013 and then retire at age 61 from his job as teacher. I will ER with him at age 54.
However, if my employer throws a nice package my way some months earlier I will just grab it and run ...
Old 08-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #153
Recycles dryer sheets

I am still sitting firmly in my seat on this 2013 bus, May 15 to be precise. The only ?? are: what investments are going to do between now and then, selling our house, and the election and its implications for the economy. But it would have to be dire for me to wait another year! Although some have said I am not really retiring, since I plan to do some free-lancing and adjunct work--but who knows how much of that I'll find? Perhaps none, so to me, leaving a tenured professorship for uncertainty means I have to consider that it may mean never working again. This does not exactly break my heart, to think of my time being my own to do with what I wish. I've the idea to volunteer at a museum (thus getting free museum admission to all!) and to volunteer at Habitat.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #154

Still looking at 2013, also still not quite sure about the exact date...

Old 08-09-2012, 02:52 PM   #155
Recycles dryer sheets

If I have my ducks in a row it will be 7 months and 20 days or end of March 2013 for my SIRE date. It cannot get here fast enough and then after that it can slow down so I can enjoy it. DW retired in May at 55 so I have some catching up to do. Things are falling into place rather nicely it's starting to make we wonder

Fingers crossed and full speed ahead!!
Old 08-09-2012, 06:17 PM   #156
Recycles dryer sheets

Four months twenty two days here!
Old 08-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #157
Recycles dryer sheets

I am trying my hardest to join the 2013 Class but it may not happen as you can tell by my Forum name of Retire2014. I can dream though, can't I?

Best of luck to everyone and enjoy your countdown. So exciting, isn't it?!!!!
Old 08-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #158
Recycles dryer sheets

8 months; 13 days.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #159

I have been retired 10 days now. It's awesome! Welcome.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:49 PM   #160
Recycles dryer sheets

*retirement envy*
Four months and twenty days!