Class of 2013

Cjacks sorry you have to end such a long stay with the same company on a somewhat sour note. I am looking at 32 w*rking days and have gone through a number of changes at work that while not as severe as yours sounds still make you wonder a bit. One thing for sure by the time I get to my "day" you would have already started to sort things out for the better I'm sure. For me the w*rk was just a means to an ends. It's hard after so many years to look at it that way but for me it helps that and how much I have been looking forward to not having to worry if I turned on the clock before going to bed. You know we put in our years, do the best we can, and after that we walk out the door saying we have given all we had to give. Try to enjoy the last few days and feel good about what you have added to the company during your tenure. Best wishes and as I would say the folks I have w*rked with for many years that were retiring before me "I will be glad to see you go as it will be one less person for me to have to move past for my own retirement.

T-bird
Class of 2013
DW Class of 2012

I have a very active future planned.

I sure hope when I wake up on March 2, I feel better.
It might take a little longer, but the sooner you start the active future part, the better. :)

T-bird & Michaelb,
Thanks for your words of support and encouragement. I did speak to our former sales mgr. who retired last year. He experienced similar feelings, especially in the last few days. However, he said the first Monday he got up and realized he didn't have to deal with work was the best feeling he experienced in years. And each day it even got better.I am hoping for a similar experience. Thanks again!

Well, I'm down to 15 get up days. For me the end has been really strange. Hollow and disappointing are the first words that come to mind. Our company started in 1985 with 4 people in a one room office. Today we have 250 people in a 500,000 sq ft. Mfg facility. I have served as the VP of Operations for almost 28 years. At 63 I am just walking away. Many seem puzzled as to why I have no interest in part time or consulting. I don't even know why I feel the way I do. The owner's son is taking over the company and he is nothing like his father who I have worked for for over 40 years. While I like and get along with the son, I don't care for his approach to business and ever day affairs in the company. The son has an MBA and over reacts a lot but he does have good intentions. However, he is continually adding rules and policies. The environment has become sterile and by the book. I have found peace by saying things are just different. (As opposed to worse) I just want the last 15 days to end. I think once I can concentrate on my new future I will feel much better. I have a very active future planned. I found out they are planning a big "surprise" retirement party which I was hoping to avoid. I feel like I gave it everything thing I had, I just ran out of gas. I am trying to care, or act like I care, but underneath I just don't give a dam anymore. I sure hope when I wake up on March 2, I feel better.

Cracks-

I'm sure you will feel better on or around 2 March. Congrats on FIREing and on having the guts to exit.

cjacks, remember patience. You are KMA, so don't sweat the small stuff.

I've been in the same position for almost as long as you (38 years), have some good friends I will miss and a bunch of stuff I won't miss. It is kind of a bitter sweet thing for me and perhaps for you. I think we'll get over it.

35 days to go!

Like cjacks, sometimes I'm not sure how I feel about it. Today, I am very much at peace with it. Part of me thinks there will be a bit of a hole in my life and I know I'll be sad to leave behind the people and work that have been such a big part of my life. On the other hand, the work seems unimportant anymore and the people, while still nice, are becoming kind of strained in our relationships. Like looking for new space when the current lease expires or dealing with a few employee problems. Stuff like that doesn't bother me anymore.

Can't wait to get going on the next phase of life! There is so much to do.

Ahhhh, this is my last week of not being a lame duck. I give my notice this Friday! Counting today, 13 work days to go. Somehow, I didn't have the Monday-morning blahs this morning!

The deed is done! I gave my notice. Surprisingly, I have some mixed emotions. After all my planning and looking forward to this moment -- strange mix of exhiliration and stomach willies. Admittedly, more of the former but still a weird feeling. I guess the reality hasn't quite set in yet (after all, I do have 2 more weeks of w*rk).

Just dropped the retirement papers in the mail yesterday for a last w*rk day of March 27th. It felt real good to know that it is almost over and that someone else can play the "game" for me after that. No big surprise at w*rk as all knew but it's nice to know that it really is going to happen, pinching myself. :dance:

T-bird (28 w*rking days to go)
Class of 2013
DW Class of 2012 (waiting at home for me to get on my "list":LOL:)

Last Day!

Today was the last day!

Four weeks ago I gave notice and I just finished wrapping everything up this afternoon.

Hard to believe this day has arrived. I almost fell victim to the "one more year" syndrome.

Without the support of this forum, where I'm admittedly more a reader the a writer, it would have happened.

The whole thing feels a little unreal!

In a really good way..:D

Posted a few mo ago on this thread 'bout transitioning to employee status due to takeover of business I was a partner in. It's been a challenge over past few mo to say the least :banghead:. Recently talked to immediate boss & he offered to try arranging unpaid leave to help me recharge the old batteries. I'm basically FI (per FP), in good health, & recently vested in last company retirement account $$. No pension, BTW, so no other financial carrots to stay for other than saving up a bit more $$ by w#rking (OMY Syndrome). DW was happy with the offer as this unpaid leave could be a trial ER (class of 2013!??). She's already talking about summer roads trips:dance:. Part of me agrees with her, but also feel strangely uncomfortable about walking away from ~25yrs with the group while still able to contribute. Maybe ER equivalent of survivor's guilt (vs others till w#rking), or perhaps just emotional inertia. Like the long-time prisoner reluctant to rush out the open cell door ;)

Last edited:
class of 2013

I posted earlier that i retire in march, 3/22 to be exact. My immediate leadership made sure i got the package and then went so far as to extend me 2 weeks so i'd have another year of service and an extra 4 weeks of severance. How do you complain about that?
However, I am going through "withdrawal pangs" and some of them are painful. The BS never ends. We had a huge layoff and my good fortune was outweighed by those who are ruined. Early 50's, little real hope of getting a similar job. The ones who "survived" are just waiting for the ax to fall on them. How do you compete with someone overseas who lives in a cardboard box and will work for a fraction of what you get. I look at the kids coming in and realize how lucky i am. Generation Y is criticized for focusing more on life that the J*B, but I think that have it right. There is no loyalty anymore and I'm glad I'm hitting the trail.
On a happier note, getting the RV tuned up, on my way to the Jersey shore by May. After that, DW and I will flip a coin. I've learned a lot on this site, I plan to visit from time to time.
:greetings10:

one of my goals it to reach 1MM miles on United AA. This way I will be lifetime gold. I estimate that it will take me another 15-20 months. Currently 49 and FI.

Man, one of my goals is to fly less. I hit 2 million on AA 6 years ago. I still want to travel in retirement but not like that. Lifetime platinum isn't bad though.

Congrats to all new retirees while I have been gone. Just got back from a 2 week cruise and now I have 4 weeks left. I am kind of a Type 1 personality, so even after I gave my notice back in Nov, I still found myself pretty vested and getting pretty stressed out at work. After Xmas, not as much....although more than I expected. I am curious to see how I feel when I get back now. I checked my work email last night and I have a bunch of "OMG, what will we do when you are gone" meetings that have been set up. Those should be interesting.....

Cute story - DH received a nice 39 week severence package just as he was planning to retire in Dec. So for the next 39 weeks, along with his pension, he will receive a weekly paycheck in the mail (no idea why they wouldnt do direct deposit....). So every Thursday, he takes his check and heads to the bank to deposit it.

The teller smiles and says to him one day "Just coming from work?"
He responds: "No, ma'am, I'm coming from my mailbox."
:)

40 work days left, I start interviewing candidates tomorrow to replace me. Hopefully can get someone on board soon to start training/transitioning.

Another milestone down. Today is my 20th anniversary as a Federal employee (my boss was sweet enough to bring in cookies to acknowledge it). On to the next milestone of reaching age 56 in May.

Today was the last day!
Four weeks ago I gave notice and I just finished wrapping everything up this afternoon.
Hard to believe this day has arrived. I almost fell victim to the "one more year" syndrome.

Congrats!!!! Look forward to hearing more as you transition to ER lifestyle.

Ironic that you mentioned it, as OMY Syndrome just proved deadly to "healthy" 60yo guy in my neighborhood last week. Ya just never know.

Another milestone down. Today is my 20th anniversary as a Federal employee (my boss was sweet enough to bring in cookies to acknowledge it). On to the next milestone of reaching age 56 in May.

Congrats Helen! I'll have 36 years as a fed in May this year. Time has sure flown by.

Looks like OMY may get me! My son can't get all the classes he needs to graduate from college as early as we were planning. I will have to remain a resident of this state into 2014 to keep in-state tuition. If a voluntary layoff package comes along, I'll be gone in less than a month, if not I have scheduled 9 weeks of vacation this summer and may squeeze in a couple more. In any case, it doesn't look like I will move permanently to Colorado until 2014.

Hermit, I'm sorry to hear this. I would have a really hard time changing my plans at this point. I hope you can move on to your new life soon.

Back
Top Bottom