Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-03-2015, 02:01 PM   #421
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats, Taxman. Each day that decrements represents a larger and larger percentage of those that remain! I like your joke in the annual review doc. Too bad your manager lacks a good sense of humor.

-BB

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2015, 07:11 PM   #422
Full time employment: Posting here.

Today at a meeting, I forgot myself and voiced my opinion of the boss's pet project. Oops. Luckily I quickly recovered and let the issue die. It was sort of a "Emperor's New Clothes" moment. I only voiced what many others were thinking...

Little by little I am mentally disengaging from w*rk. Pretty soon I won't care one bit.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:39 PM   #423

Philliefan33 - Have you chosen a date yet? Don't see one in the list for you but it must be getting close cause you obviously are getting the itch pretty strong at this point!
Old 03-05-2015, 08:03 PM   #424

My date was going to be 3/31. But then a little birdie told me that I might get a severance package but the decision wouldn't be made until after Q1. So now my last day will be no later than June 12 (we have a trip planned and I want to be retired while on that trip). If the package comes sooner, or I learn that there will be no severance, then I'll bail sooner.

In the meantime I'm doing what I can to avoid the BS and make my days more enjoyable.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:21 PM   #425

Talked to the boss Friday. July 2015, I'll either retire or work over the internet part-time. I did some portfolio adjustments Friday and over the weekend. (I'm 56 and will be 57 in May, so 57 at retirement.)
Old 03-09-2015, 12:43 PM   #426
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'm officially Retired!

Today marks my 2nd Monday since retirement. My official FIRST day of retirement was the start of a Caribbean cruise. Not a bad way to start. I'm still trying to get my head around the idea that I have no place in particular to go every day. I hope it won't take too long to get used to that.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:13 PM   #427
Recycles dryer sheets

Today was my first Monday retired. A couple of observations:
- Sunday is way better when you don't have that "Crap tomorrow is Monday" moment.
- I already plan my day around everyone else being at work and off the roads.
- Watching the 7 day weather forecast from the gym and I was happy that on future nice days I don't have to go to w*rk. And, on bad weather days, I don't have to go to w*rk. Nice.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:29 PM   #428

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekward View Post
Watching the 7 day weather forecast from the gym and I was happy that on future nice days I don't have to go to w*rk. And, on bad weather days, I don't have to go to w*rk. Nice.
The enjoyment of that never goes away. That, and while I've been told that gloating isn't nice, I can't help it when I see the traffic reports.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:24 PM   #429
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekward View Post
- Watching the 7 day weather forecast from the gym and I was happy that on future nice days I don't have to go to w*rk. And, on bad weather days, I don't have to go to w*rk. Nice.

We've had several icy snowy days recently where I've had to drive in early to work and I hated it, but kept thinking I won't have to do this next winter. Today, it was terribly foggy and frightening to drive. Seriously, you couldn't see the traffic lights or cars. I soooo wished it was June! I am not going to drive early in the morning in bad weather again after June.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-12-2015, 08:27 AM   #430

I have recently realized something about working in a research lab and getting close to ER. When the boss asks me to start an experiment that will last three months...I won't be around to collect the data. It will be someone else's problem! Yippee! (I am so ready to be out of here)
Old 03-12-2015, 04:28 PM   #431
Recycles dryer sheets

OMM syndrome - one more month. One of the managers started to tell my facilities that I was ending on 4/6 but there was some confusion at one place. When I asked for clarification my GM called me today. Pleading with me to stay on a few more months. Told me he would do anything including rename one of his children. Can't offer me more $ because Medicare pays fee for service. Ugh.

My replacement doesn't feel he is ready and hasn't been able to complete all the work he needs to do to get up to speed in his other facilities where he has been working since January.

In medicine we used to say, "In the day of the giants..." Fill in the blanks - we made only $50 a week during our internship year and supported a family, we were on call every other night, etc., etc.

In my day you were handed a caseload and you plowed your way through seeing all the patients when you could and were thorough and efficient. There was no saying no as a doctor if you were employed by a practice or a hospital.

@EastWestGal - I need your guidance.

Anyway I said I'd think about it but first I have to write 21 notes.

If I had planned on retiring completely I would say no entirely but I was going to work one day a week until the end of the year.

So maybe for ONE MORE MONTH only, I will work another 1/2 day a week and do what I can. That's it. Take care of the 'psychiatric emergencies' and new patients only until they figure out how to replace me. May 1st. The end. Then back on plan.

Is anyone still questioning why I want to retire to Mexico where I just can't work in my once chosen field?

Oy vey.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-13-2015, 09:39 AM   #432
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just added 6 months to my departure date, which would be exactly 2 years from my original date (why do OMY when you can do two ?). I'm hearing rumors of layoffs coming and I'm hoping to be part of that reduction. Goodness knows that with my exuberant outspokenness about the BS at w*rk they may actually look forward to kicking my butt out the door. Financially I can go now with a 3% WR but if there is free money for hanging around another 6 months then I'll do. I've been w*rking from home nearly 95% and it's been alot less stressful, so it's less of a burden.

(REWahoo will probably be here shortly to say "told you so" about me delaying ER again!)
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:43 AM   #433
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
(REWahoo will probably be here shortly to say "told you so" about me delaying ER again!)
What on earth would make you say something like that?

Those of us on SS thank you for your continued contribution to our financial well-being.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:34 AM   #434
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm pulling my name off the Class of 2015 - I'm #14. A few things happened since I put my name on the list two years ago:
1. Change in top management, making work a lot more enjoyable. I have a long commute, and my boss has allowed me to work a few days a month from home.
2. My $ number looks good, not great. I recently read households in my area have an average $70K/year income - which is slightly higher than my yearly retirement number. I know it's not a race, however I never thought of myself as being below average in anything.
3. Work changed 401K plan to allow penalty free withdrawals in the year or after I turn 55.
So back to the grindstone for another 2 years for me, and I'll retire at age 54 1/2.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:15 PM   #435
Recycles dryer sheets

Updating as well from no specific date to May 1st

associated post

The Perfect Storm
Old 03-13-2015, 12:38 PM   #436
Recycles dryer sheets

And whoever revises the list next, please change my ER date to February 27, 2015; I'm# 28. I am done done done.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:10 PM   #437
Recycles dryer sheets

I think I'm #67 on the list, and I have just now completed my first full week as a retired person... it was nice, but I have GOT to stop making "to do" lists! (I'll just add that to my list...)

I had a pretty bad experience during my notice period so I dropped off all of my FIRE haunts due to worry. My boss had an extreme reaction to me turning in my notice due to his being unable to handle the idea of one of his slave workers leaving - he saw it as a direct slap in the face and started out pretty mean and nasty but fortunately it ended up with him just pretending I was invisible the last couple of days and then he was out my last day so I didn't have to make nice to him when leaving.

So yeah, just confirmation that I was wise to get the hell out of there - being under an insane boss does tend to cause extreme amounts of stress, and I realized that no, this wasn't normal behavior.

Fortunately, the rest of my coworkers that I worked closely with were typical - sad to see me go, happy I was leaving for something better, some discussion that many were also looking to leave, and how great it was that I could just go without having something else lined up. I received lots of cards and had many "keep in touch" chats and a lunch on the last day with some work friends.

I am soooo glad to be out of there tho. I feel like I have PTSD and am still waiting for the other shoe to drop. I hope that feeling of impending doom (that I have carried around for the last couple of years) goes away soon.

FIRE as of spring 2015!
FrankiesGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 04:55 PM   #438

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankiesGirl View Post
I am soooo glad to be out of there tho. I feel like I have PTSD and am still waiting for the other shoe to drop. I hope that feeling of impending doom (that I have carried around for the last couple of years) goes away soon.
In a work environment like that I'm not surprised. It'll go away though - just do whatever you feel like that is relaxing - think drifting down the river in an inner tube on a summer day, and do that or whatever works for you. Can't hurt, will probably help.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:54 AM   #439
Dryer sheet aficionado

Did it

I have made it to the other side- retired 3/5/15 at age 56. Good career with a good organization, but glad to be out and moving on.

Interesting how many people asked me what I'm going to do with my time, I wanted to respond "if I have to explain it to you, then you would not understand"...but I was polite

The future looks really bright from here!!
Old 03-16-2015, 10:18 AM   #440
Recycles dryer sheets

DW signed her papers for ER 12/31/2015 today, can't wait to spend more time doing the things we like to do.