Class of 2015

Let me review my last 5 years 2 months after I quit my regular job,

1) We took two trips across the country in an RV, visiting many national parks & places lasting more than a month each. apart from many smaller trips on east coast. Rving was new to us & lot of fun.

2)Financially we are better off now, than when we retired.

3)Took up gardening, took a Master Gardener Course at the local County Extension Office & enjoy it almost every day & volunteer too at the County Office.

4) Volunteer at a local Free Clinic

5) Numerous trips visiting daughter , helping with two wonderful grand kids.

6) We took 2 overseas trips, visiting friends, relatives & new places .

7) Health wise, I took up Yoga, some strength work outs, walk regularly, BP came back to normal, have lost 25 Lbs.

8) I will be lying if I did not mention, there were times I would get bored, lost touch with most of work related friends, made lots of new acquaintances & a few new friends, but it is a work in progress.

9) I do not have many(any) responsibilities any more, do what I want when I want it. So, that way it is a great feeling, no time constraints.

So that is the way it goes in my case.

I'm coming up on my 5 year FIREiversarry--there have been a few ups and downs along the way but overall I am very happy I FIREd when and how I did.

So we retired in 2015. Traveled the country in our RV, then bought some mountain land in WA state, built a barn, now building a house on a small parcel in the middle of the town close to our mountain land. Oh and bought a 34 foot sailboat somewhere in there.

Pretty busy for retired! Hard to fit in sailing, snowmobiling, motorcycle, hiking, biking, building a house. Need to go back to work so I can have some free time.

Let me review my last 5 years 2 months after I quit my regular job,

1) We took two trips across the country in an RV, visiting many national parks & places lasting more than a month each. apart from many smaller trips on east coast. Rving was new to us & lot of fun.

2)Financially we are better off now, than when we retired.

3)Took up gardening, took a Master Gardener Course at the local County Extension Office & enjoy it almost every day & volunteer too at the County Office.

4) Volunteer at a local Free Clinic

5) Numerous trips visiting daughter , helping with two wonderful grand kids.

6) We took 2 overseas trips, visiting friends, relatives & new places .

7) Health wise, I took up Yoga, some strength work outs, walk regularly, BP came back to normal, have lost 25 Lbs.

8) I will be lying if I did not mention, there were times I would get bored, lost touch with most of work related friends, made lots of new acquaintances & a few new friends, but it is a work in progress.

9) I do not have many(any) responsibilities any more, do what I want when I want it. So, that way it is a great feeling, no time constraints.

So that is the way it goes in my case.

Did you rent an RV for the long RV trip? If so, how does that work?

It’s great to hear all these stories from the Class of 2015. I’m glad you’re all doing well and still enjoying retirement after five years. The financial success stories are also great to hear as I’m sure that will be a concern for me when I finally retire.

Realistically I’m probably looking at 5-7 more years before I can seriously consider calling it quits. My wife and I would love to get an RV and see the country. I know I’m blessed to be in the position I’m in but sometimes I get anxious thinking about the amount of work I have left.

Working from home has helped. Not dealing with a commute is great. The funny thing is I don’t hate my job. I think I’m just ready for my time to be my own.

I’ll consider cutting back my hours in a few years. I wonder if that would help or if it would just make me long for retirement even more than I already do.

Congrats again everyone! Hearing your success stories does help motivate me to keep going. I need that motivation and I’m thankful for it.

Did you rent an RV for the long RV trip? If so, how does that work?

We bought a new small self contained Trailer to test Rving in 2017, towed behind our SUV & after having fun travelling (roaming) around the country we sold it & are planning to buy a little larger one.

Try it

Back
Top Bottom