Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-02-2014, 05:05 PM   #141
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Money View Post
I, too, am aiming to get out of The Firm in 2015. The plan is to retire mid-year after (a) end-of-2014 bonus and (b) tax distribution to cover partnership "phantom income." I also have a continuous siren-song of OMY. But it's just that, a siren song designed to tempt me to crash on the rocks if I stay one more year, during which I would probably have a coronary or something. So I have a bit less than 14-or-15 months to go.

Apart from OMY, I fear boredom a bit. What does this board call the fear of boredom in retirement? I assume there's an acronym for it (FOB?)

I too wonder a little bit about cocooning too much in retirement. I've started a list of things to try, places to go, setting some goals for the next phase of life.
Vireo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2014, 06:51 PM   #142
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, Vireo, maybe we can nudge each other forward if need be!
Old 03-07-2014, 08:51 PM   #143
Recycles dryer sheets

OK my peeps, we got to have some people getting close to giving notice and taking the eternal vacation. I know some people have to be getting pretty excited about the last day at work. Personally, I have 389 days to go. I'll probably talk to my boss in January about leaving in April 2015. Has any of our class of 2015 given notice yet, and if so, how did it go?
Old 03-07-2014, 09:29 PM   #144
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikubak View Post
OK my peeps, we got to have some people getting close to giving notice and taking the eternal vacation. I know some people have to be getting pretty excited about the last day at work. Personally, I have 389 days to go. I'll probably talk to my boss in January about leaving in April 2015. Has any of our class of 2015 given notice yet, and if so, how did it go?
Funny you post that, because I was just thinking about my own situation today. I'll be fully vested in Feb 2015. The "golden handcuffs" fall off, and I don't plan on sticking around after that.

I'm torn between not showing my hand, and only giving two weeks notice right before I leave. But that means I have to suffer through all the corporate BS right up to the end.

Or...

Lately, I've been thinking of giving them notice in November, about three months ahead of me leaving. Not because I feel some sense of owing them as much notice as possible, but I figure there's no chance in hell they could replace me or get rid of me early over the Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years holidays once I tell them I'm leaving. And, with the company growing larger, our projects are turning into multi-month huge strategic monsters that they wouldn't put a short-timer on. I figure the only thing I'd be doing during my last three months is enjoying the holidays, doing some documentation and training, and burning up remaining vacation time.

If I give notice in November, that's "only" eight months away. Definitely light at the end of the tunnel.
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:37 PM   #145
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post

Lately, I've been thinking of giving them notice in November, about three months ahead of me leaving. Not because I feel some sense of owing them as much notice as possible, but I figure there's no chance in hell they could replace me or get rid of me early over the Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years holidays once I tell them I'm leaving.
Personally I would be careful. Getting rid of folks before or during the holidays is no longer a difficult thing to do. In addition, I've known too many who were let go just short of some vesting anniversary after making their intentions known. You know your company better than I do. I am just wary of this type of assumption these days.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:32 AM   #146
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree Jolly, I wouldn't give notice until I vested. Would give as much notice as I could so they can find a replacement and not have a gap...but only after I vested.
haloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:23 PM   #147

Normally, I would never tip my hand in advance. I've always given only two weeks notice. One time, I even walked out without giving any notice at all after only five weeks at an IT contracting job that was the worst job I've ever had.

But...even if I did give notice a couple months before being fully vested and they got rid of me, I don't think I'd care. Yeah, I'd leave a little bit of money on the table, but nothing so large it would damage my (semi) retirement plans. And, if they did get rid of me in November instead of me leaving in February, that would just give me the perfect excuse to go back to Colorado early and spend the winter enjoying the ski season - something I want to do anyway once in my life.

In the back of my mind, there's a part of me that would actually hope they'd let me go early, LOL.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:53 AM   #148
Recycles dryer sheets

LoneAspen,
Good point! There is potential goodness, or peace in them making the decision for you. I can relate - currently serving in the military as we downsize over 120k Soldiers. I'm FI, so if forced to leave, I get to enjoy my retirement a little earlier. Certainly would get me out of my OMY trap.
HaloFIRE
Old 03-09-2014, 08:57 AM   #149
Recycles dryer sheets

Y'all are causing me to rethink my strategy. I was thinking of talking to my boss in January so they could hire someone by April to take my place. I vest April 1, 2015. There is probably a less than 1% chance they would try to get me out the door before April 1 if I told them in January. I don't think they could get someone hired and in place by the end of the month. If they complain, I guess I'll say, "You know what that sounds like to me? Not my problem." Maybe I'll just tell them on April fool's day 2015 that they have until the end of the month to find someone.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:50 AM   #150
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think waiting until the last minute might be a good idea in your case.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:33 PM   #151

My boss just sent an email that makes me want to give notice tomorrow, LOL.

He wants to use our next team all-hands meeting this coming Friday to present our projects. To ourselves.

Just another example of a typical "manager" (he's certainly not a leader, and not even a good manager) trying to make it look like he's doing something to justify a paycheck. Why do we need to waste all the prep time putting slides together, and an hour of presentations, telling each other what we do? I already know what I do, and I'm not involved in the other groups' projects at all (and the way our business is structured, have no need to be) so I don't care.

*sigh* Just another useless meeting in corporate America. If I were a bit closer to being fully vested, I would have left by now. I can't wait to give notice. I already have my resignation letter ready to print out and hand in.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:33 PM   #152
Recycles dryer sheets

Am convinced Power Point lowers life expectancy. Ok, maybe a bit dramatic. It sure does waste time though.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:07 PM   #153

Less than a year to go for me ! I'm ready NOW but I worry about the market tumbling and then me panicking. Of course those same risks will exist in a year, but at least I don't have to think about it at the moment.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:26 PM   #154

In the extended endgame now myself. I had always assumed I would exit right around my 55th birthday in mid-2015, but there's a big error bar. On the short side, work is scarce and a RIF could come as soon as this summer. On the long side with the recent announcement of the Boeing Pension Freeze on 12/31/15 I may just try to hold out long enough to max that out. So I guess I have OMY (+- 9 months).
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:19 PM   #155
Dryer sheet wannabe

Count me in! If I can survive another year, I'll be in the class of 2015 --perhaps July 2015. Will be 43 by then, single no kids. No mortgage or debt. My "number" is around $3M, plus a small pension that will kick in after 65, plus SS. I want to quit my job NOW and just pack up my stuff and travel! But I am waiting to see --have 2 possible job offers that may send me overseas which I'll enjoy. So I'm sticking around to find out. If nothing great comes along, I'll be joining the rest of you by July 2015!

1. Ikubak - April 2015- age 52
2. LoneAspen - Feb 2015- age 48
3. Neihn - Dec 2015-
4. Fourchristians - June 2015
5. ABQ2015 - March 2015- 59
6. Live and Learn - March 2015- 52
7. DanD76 - June 2015
8. Utrecht - Jan 2015 - Age 50
9. haloFIRE - August 14, 2015 - age 47
10. Phil1ben - June 1, 2015 - age 55
11. SonnyJim - January 1. 2015 - age 48
12. Theseus - July 2015 - age 59 (moved up to 2014 - congrats )
14. biker4life - July 2015 - age 45
15. Options - January 2015 - 59.5
16. Al - June 2015 - age 52
17. Siamond - July 2015 - age 53
18. Shabby - January 2015 - age 48
19. jcretire77 - April 2015 - age 55
20. Fermion - Oct 2015 - age 45
21. BrianB - January 2015 - age 56
22. RobLJ - May thru August - age
23. FreqFlyer - Feb 2015 - age 43
24. Hiker88 - August 2015 - age 55
25. Enjoylife133 - December 2015 - age 60
26. Jpearl - July 2915 - age 43
JPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:20 PM   #156
Dryer sheet wannabe

2015, I meant
JPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:26 PM   #157
Recycles dryer sheets

Hoping for April 2015 at exactly age 63.5.

Will have to work PT though, but that means an average of 1.25 day/wk and providing supervision (minimal work for me) of 3 nurse practitioners.
iac1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:34 AM   #158
Recycles dryer sheets

Are we there yet?

Looking forward to ER, but have to remember to smell the roses along the way
Old 03-24-2014, 06:35 PM   #159
Confused about dryer sheets

My plan since 1999 has been to retire when my youngest graduates from HS -
June 17, 2015. House in New England goes bye bye after one more winter.
Rent something in AZ, travel, volunteer, fiddle with cars and spend time with DW.

2015 Year of the Sheep (for what it's worth)
kern44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:36 AM   #160

Count me in as a class of 2015. Hoping to retire Dec 2015 @55.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote