Class of 2015

ikubak

Recycles dryer sheets
I can't believe we don't have a class of 2015 thread. Let's get this party started!

I am 50 and currently FI but going to put in 22 more months to vest in a defined benefit plan. I figure it's a small price to pay for a little more pension income.

I'm doing what I can to remain sane in the work place. I transferred from my stressful job to a diff department and start tomorrow. It's always fun to learn something new, and I think this will help keep me interested in my work for oh...at least 22 months.

2015 is not that far away. There must be some other 2015 retirees out there. What's your story?

I was waiting for a 2015 thread to start up. Seems like every other year had one but this one, so thanks for starting!

I'm 46 and hoping to FIRE in Feb 2015, which is the end of a four-year vesting period I have with the pre-IPO startup I'm at.

I've been doing IT work since my college days, with the exception of two years I spent doing real estate back in Colorado, and I just can't stand it anymore. I get no satisfaction nor enjoyment from it anymore. I'm also very tired of the 9-to-5 ratrace, politics, sitting in a cube, and pecking away on a keyboard all day.

If all goes well with this company (and it certainly looks good thus far), and there's some kind of liquidity event(s) by then, my intentions are to leave the IT and corporate world. No more OMY syndrome for me, no matter how much $$$ they might offer. I want to walk out the door, never look back, and get on with Life 2.0.

Looking really forward to it. I want to go back to Colorado for a couple years, and do all those outdoor things I enjoy but never could do much of because a job got in the way...hiking, camping, backpacking, week-long photography trips, etc. I also want to live somewhere near a ski resort and fulfill a bucket list item of being a ski bum for a season :)

So, here's to 2015 and all the folks planning to FIRE that year!

I'm kind of bummed at the lack of responses to the 2015 thread. I guess nobody's planning to FIRE in that year :(

Count us in!
We are targeting August 17th 2015 as my last day of work.
I believe we are caught in the OMY cycle....well 2MY cycle really.
Can FIRE now, but the extra time really increases our ability to travel....so we are sticking it out.
Looking forward to "graduation"!

I was waiting for this thread to show up. It has prompted me to finally stop lurking and become a member. I will introduce myself in the other thread. I have been planning my escape from the rat-race for years. My date, Saturday, October 31, 2015 (Halloween). The last day of the month and the last day of a pay period. Hopefully, if all goes as planned, last workday will be Friday the 30th. Counting the months now.

Last edited:
Wow very few responses.

My tentative date is the end of Feb 2015 after I get my annual bonus. I'll be 43 which is still quite young. Time will tell. I may put in say two more years but can't see it going beyond that.

I want to take at least a year off. After that who knows. I won't need to work but would be open to short term projects that aligned with my interests.

I would love to join you, but I'm one of those people deferring compensation in the form of a pension, and need to wait until I'm 55, in 2017. I'm cheering all of the earlier classes on from the sidelines, impatiently waiting my own turn, and gleaning all the wisdom and encouragement from you that I can.

I'd like to join, but 2015 is my stretch/dream date, as it would require some sizable (though not unimaginable) returns on my company stock. We had a 60% increase within the last 4 years - another one of those would probably get me out the door, due to concentration risk and close enough to just go sailing for a while...

Just a couple weeks ago, we had our annual reviews, where I got an insignificant salary increase, and a mediocre stock option refresh (new grant). They made a big deal of it, like a handful of stock options would be enough to keep me on another four years - LOL.

Unless you're a key player (which I'm not), the only option grant that has any significance is the initial four-year one, which thankfully I'm almost 2.5 years through. Just 20 more months to go.

Regardless of whether this company does well, or not, my exit will be no later than February 2015. If my net worth is high enough to allow it, and if the ski season in Colorado is good enough in late 2014, I might even leave three months earlier so I can move to Colorado and be a ski bum for a season.

I've even already drafted my resignation letter. A little premature perhaps, but it gives me something to look forward to - the day I get to hand it in and walk out that door forever.

Count me in - I want/hope to join the class of 2015 - probably Dec 2015.

I’m hoping to be in the Class of 2015. I'm an engineer with the federal government and have 21 months to go until I am eligible for retirement with 30 years of service. Will be 59 1/2. However am getting nervous and may consider working another year or working part time until age 62 if phased retirement becomes an option at my agency.

For one thing, real estate is booming in the northwestern city that I want to relocate to but is stagnant in my current locale. Retirement calculator results have generally been favorable but can vary depending on the calculator, and of course, it all depends on how much I need to fund my desired retirement lifestyle. And that number can be difficult to pinpoint, especially if I plan to relocate to a more expensive area. Also started tracking my expenses in January and was surprised at how much I spend. :confused:

Ok, we need to start a list like they have on the 2013 thread. I'll start it. To add yourself, copy the list into a new post, add your name to bottom and save the post to the thread.

I think I'm officially leaving the class of 2013 to join the class of 2015. I don't have enough "cushion" in my numbers even though all the calculators say I am good to go right now. I need more fluff. I may be working 2 years longer than I need to, but I'm sleeping ALOT better at night after making this decision.

1. Ikubak - April - age 52
2. LoneAspen - Feb - age 48
3. Neihn - Dec -
4. Fourchristians - June
5. ABQ2015 - March - 59
6. Live and Learn - March - 52

I'm in. December 31, 2015 is my target date. Countdown timer is in my office. 916 days to grow my portfolio to be able to FIRE in 2.5 years.

3. Neihn - Dec -
4. Fourchristians - June
5. ABQ2015 - March - 59
7. SkeetShooter - December

My wife and hope to call it quits around June 2015. Currently 55 years old, been working in IT since forever and am ready for a change.

3. Neihn - Dec -
4. Fourchristians - June
5. ABQ2015 - March - 59
8. DanD76 - June

God willing, I'm retiring on my 50th birthday which is in Jan, 2015. My wife will be retiring at the same time at 46.

3. Neihn - Dec -
4. Fourchristians - June
5. ABQ2015 - March - 59
8. DanD76 - June
9. Utrecht - Jan - Age 50

Looks like my DW and I are on track for Ausust 14th, 2015, a week before my 50th birthday. Hoping to stay sane until then! Looking forward to the journey with the rest of the class!

3. Neihn - Dec -
4. Fourchristians - June
5. ABQ2015 - March - 59
8. DanD76 - June
10. haloFIRE - August 14th - age 47

OK...looks like we got some momentum going.

I put together a spreadsheet showing me how many days left, how many weekend days, holidays, vacation days etc. between now and my last day of work. Based on my calculation, I have 632 days to go, but of those 632 days, I have only 372 work days. It almost makes me want to work non-stop for a straight year to get it over with. Almost....

Yippee!

Count me in!

I just found this website a few days ago. I ran the Firecalc and have 100% success as long as I sell my San Diego house and pay cash for a house somewhere else, most likely Northern Arizona or Southern Nevada. Fortunately we (I am married) like Northern Arizona and Southern Nevada. We are both native to San Diego, so I know we are giving up "perfect" weather to gain freedom! When you are in an office 12 hours a day you don't get to enjoy much of the perfect weather. :facepalm:

I am 52 and turn 55 in October of 2015. I have a government job and will have a decent pension at age 55. I started saving for retirement at age 22. I saw relatives retire into poverty and make stupid decisions so I hit the library and learned all I could about financial planning. I worked in the private sector for 20 years until the "tech wreck" and decided a needed a job with a pension as saving one million dollars was not as easy as I had hoped.

With no mortgage, pension, and savings we are good. If we keep the San Diego house I will be working until age 72...hello Arizona! My property taxes here are $5,000 and in ten years they will be $6,000 per year. The places we have been looking at in Nevada and Arizona will be about $1,800 for property taxes. Oh an gasoline runs about 60 cents a gallon cheaper. All these things add up in terms of savings.

What is "OMY cycle"?

3. Neihn - Dec -
4. Fourchristians - June
5. ABQ2015 - March - 59
8. DanD76 - June
11. Doxiemama - November - age 52

My first post on this site. Own my own business for 23 years--about 20 employees. Have not had more than a week in a row off ever and have decided the sands of time are lining up for June, 2015. No mortgages, kids college set aside, FI. Just need to work out succession plan for business but have 2 years for that. 53 years old, married with two kids -- one in college and one junior in high school. In June 2015 youngest is off to college, 30 years in my profession and office lease due for renewal (to be dealt with by successors). I think things happen for a reason and it is time to turn the chapter in June, 2015. So I am in the club. P.S. I keep telling myself and my wife that is the day so that I convince myself to make it happen. For me it is not a financial decision but more of a life-changing lifestyle decision.

3. Neihn - Dec -
4. Fourchristians - June
5. ABQ2015 - March - 59
8. DanD76 - June
11. Doxiemama - November - age 52
12. Phil1ben - June 1 - age 53 now 55 at ret.

OMY Cycle

Doxiemama,

OMY = One More Year

Typically used in the context of "OMY and I'll have enough to retire". Some use it to put off the decision to retire so they feel more comfortable with their financial situation, or to improve their post retirement options

In my case, I can retire now, but will hold on two more years to increase my ability to travel when I do retire

Hope this helps

Doxiemama,

OMY = One More Year

Typically used in the context of "OMY and I'll have enough to retire". Some use it to put off the decision to retire so they feel more comfortable with their financial situation, or to improve their post retirement options

In my case, I can retire now, but will hold on two more years to increase my ability to travel when I do retire

Hope this helps

Very helpful, thank you!!!

Back
Top Bottom