Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-15-2016, 02:57 PM   #341
Dryer sheet aficionado

I submitted a Notice of Retirement to my supervisor today. On April 1, I will be officially retired. Yay!!!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2016, 02:59 PM   #342

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker88 View Post
I submitted a Notice of Retirement to my supervisor today. On April 1, I will be officially retired. Yay!!!
Congratulations!

Old 03-15-2016, 03:18 PM   #343
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Put me down for April 1st also!
Old 03-15-2016, 03:19 PM   #344
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bir48die View Post
Put me down for April 1st also!
April 1? Sure....

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:44 AM   #345
Recycles dryer sheets

According to my Retirement countdown calculator, I have about 100 actual work days left.
Although November is 8 months away, subtracting weekends, holidays and vacation time, I'll take the 100 days-- Doesn't seem so bad! For some silly reason, I never took all of my vacation days and let them accumulate. Now I am taking 1 week each month until I retire, making the time go by faster.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:50 AM   #346
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congrats to the April 1st ER people! That was my date in 2015.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:08 AM   #347
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
According to my Retirement countdown calculator, I have about 100 actual work days left.
Although November is 8 months away, subtracting weekends, holidays and vacation time, I'll take the 100 days-- Doesn't seem so bad! For some silly reason, I never took all of my vacation days and let them accumulate. Now I am taking 1 week each month until I retire, making the time go by faster.
My calculator has 12 work days including today. Time has stopped. I hope it goes faster for you.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:23 PM   #348
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis65 View Post
It isn't your next vacation you're counting down the weeks to.
(6.5 weeks for me.)
And the moment you see a poster for a retirement party with your picture on it. (Eeep! No turning back now.)
Old 03-19-2016, 08:56 PM   #349
Recycles dryer sheets

Just two weeks left for me now and enjoying the first of these on vacation in Florida! I can feel almost 27 years of life in corporate America lifting off my shoulders. I deleted my work email connection from my iPhone and left an out of the office message that said "if you REALLY need to get a hold of me this week, I'm sure you'll find a way."
Old 03-21-2016, 10:46 AM   #350
Recycles dryer sheets

10 Mondays remain in my contract! And since i am already here this morning, only 9.
Last week i spoke to my replacement who is taking over for me in June. Strange feeling but exciting.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:54 PM   #351
Dryer sheet aficionado

Got my bonus today; no way I was going to give notice prior to the bonus notice. I have targeted giving my notice on 4/5/16 (taking Monday 4/4 off) which will be a 33 workdays / 52 calendar day notice.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:09 PM   #352
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Gave my notice yesterday! The GM's first response was to try to talk me out of it, then he came to accept it, and finally he offered sincere congratulations as he walked out the door. I still have to notify my direct supervisor. I'm expecting that one to be more of a struggle since he relies on me more directly.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2016, 10:53 AM   #353
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billk400 View Post
Got my bonus today; no way I was going to give notice prior to the bonus notice. I have targeted giving my notice on 4/5/16 (taking Monday 4/4 off) which will be a 33 workdays / 52 calendar day notice.
Congratulations!
I left my Mega Corp in Feb with a pending bonus for 2015 to be issued in April. I have slight hope they will follow through and issue it, since they addressed this very question in a webex discussion for another retiree. But to trust they don't lie, I know better despite the companies Integrity award. You were very wise to wait for your bonus.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:20 PM   #354
Recycles dryer sheets

Guess I ought to officially sign up for the class of 2016. My last day of work is March 31st. My 60th Birthday. Have not decided yet what to do on April 1st.

I have the nature of a polymath and the memory of a Commodore 64
Sittingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:45 PM   #355
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittingduck View Post
Guess I ought to officially sign up for the class of 2016. My last day of work is March 31st. My 60th Birthday. Have not decided yet what to do on April 1st.
What to do on April 1?...how about whatever you feel like or absolutely nothing. You time will be 100% yours to enjoy however you want.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:20 PM   #356
Recycles dryer sheets

"What to do on April 1?...how about whatever you feel like or absolutely nothing. You time will be 100% yours to enjoy however you want."

That, to me, sounds better than any Christmas I ever had as a child! Particularly, since we have empty-nest and my wife wants to keep working.
A little more than 2 months to the finish line
Old 03-25-2016, 08:30 AM   #357
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billk400 View Post
What to do on April 1?...how about whatever you feel like or absolutely nothing. You time will be 100% yours to enjoy however you want.
Not sure the time will be 100% mine..... apparently my DW has been drawing up a "list"

I have the nature of a polymath and the memory of a Commodore 64
Sittingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:19 PM   #358
Dryer sheet wannabe

Committed to class of 2016. Just accepted my last stock grant, where 50% vests in May. Adjusted my 401k to max out end of May - my FIRE date. Scheduled a bunch of ETB between now and then. Adjusted DW's 401k and HSA to max by end of June - her FIRE date - a bit later than mine due to my youngest needing our mega-corp family health insurance until then. Definitely excited to be out by age 55.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:31 AM   #359
Confused about dryer sheets

In Limbo

4/1 was to be my last work day at Megacorp. Rumors started to circulate that Mega may offer a "Retirement Incentive" package. Significant cash incentive to accept a voluntary layoff. Announcement should be in April. May have to delay retirement until 5/31.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:37 PM   #360
Dryer sheet wannabe

Just Became a Member

I just decided to remove myself from the Class of 2017 and join the Class of 2016! I think I will give my notice in early May, with hopes of being gone by Memorial Day. Have been thinking about it for a while, finally decided to JUST DO IT.