Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags View Post
Anyone out there taking some risks in today's equities market in the hope of fastracking RE ?
Depends what you mean by taking risks. I've always pursued a high equity allocation in the hope of better returns.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #42
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
Nope. AA is within its bands, so nothing to do.
Is that S&P rating AA ?

Aren't they the same mob being sued by the US government for rating subprime mortgages AAA+

Old 02-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #43

Quote:
Is that S&P rating AA ?

Aren't they the same mob being sued by the US government for rating subprime mortgages AAA+
In this case AA = asset allocation
Old 02-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #44
gone traveling

Quote:
In this case AA = asset allocation
Duh Silly me
Old 02-08-2013, 08:34 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Anyone out there taking some risks in today's equities market in the hope of fastracking RE ?
We are hopeful members of c/o 2016, and are still at 100% equities. The idea has always been to get good returns over the long term, and if the market takes a big dip in the next few years we can always work a few more years. In the mean time, our portfolio shoots up big time when we have years like 2012 with 20+% returns. If we end up fast-tracking our ER, great, and we won't feel too stupid if it ends up meaning we work a few more years.

I would like to move into some bonds but don't have a good strategy right now given what I perceive as limited upside in bonds right now. Hard to give up an average 2.75% div yield on equities for some short term bonds that yield less.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:29 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

We hope to make the Class of 2016, when we will be 54 and 55. We are hopeful we will be FI by then, but want to do alot of travel up front, so we may stay on our gerbil wheels at megacorps for a year (or two?) extra to save up some play money to use for travel, and then RE. Time and the markets will tell.

We think we will need to pull about $50k after taxes from the portfolio (funny how many people have similar numbers), but this may be above the 3% withdrawal rate some of you are planning. How comfortable would you be to pull 5% from the portfolio starting at 54 & 55 until SS kicks in for us both at 62, and then reduce the portfolio withdrawal by the SS amount? We should each get about $20k/year from SS at 62 based on current projections.

This is such a fabulous forum full of great stories and great wisdom, and I am truly inspired by you all. I have been reading here and drawing inspiration for several years.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:55 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Got room for another? Looking at Dec of 16 when I turn 60. Like Diver We'd like to stash away some extra for travel which for us adds a year. No pensions so we're on our own till SS @ 66 when my wife will start spousal, hopefully I can hold out till 70. SS @ 70 should cover about 60% of our expenses although I can't say I'm real comfortable with it being that big of a percentage. Firecalc and others say were 100% this route, keeping spending at our current working level. Going the bucket route, 1 to equal SS for 60 - 70, and another to cover the over SS spending (3.3% withdrawal rate).

That's the plan anyway...
Old 03-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #48
Confused about dryer sheets

Oh sign me up! I will retire in summer 2016 after 20 years in the Navy...will be in my mid-40s. Between retirement pay and savings we should be well positioned to enjoy it.

Spouse retired from the military 3 years ago, took 2 years off and now teleworks because he enjoys the work. Whether or not he'll continue after I retire is unknown...as long as his schedule remains flexible, if he's happy I am too.

We have a two year old and would like another...we're much older than the norm but it's tough having kids when you're dual military and someone is always deployed. I imagine the kids will keep us busy, so not many "what to do with our time?" worries.

It's exciting to be so close...the waiting is tough! Good luck to everyone!
Old 06-28-2013, 07:07 PM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

Add me to the class

I have a target of mid Sept 2016, probably 9/16/16 which is a Friday and just after my yearly profit sharing distribution and getting paid for the Labor Day holiday. I will have recently turned 55 beforehand.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:57 PM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Sept 1 2016 is the plan for us. I'll be 55 DH 51. Holding out for Corp subsidized healthcare. It could disappear at any time but if it still exists we'll be outa here. Days in retirement will be filled to overflowing.
Why not work another few days and get paid for Labor Day?
Old 09-01-2013, 11:21 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

I'll throw my name into this hat. I should hit my number in March, 2014 (3% SWR) but planning on working longer to build-up a cushion for those unplanned expenses that come with life. The biggest unknown right now is to wait and see if the free state health benefits (wife retired 4 years ago) get changed with Obamacare.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:03 PM   #52

My target is 2016 while I am still in my 50's.

I'm tired of working! I'm ready for some FUN!!!
Old 09-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #53
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Whoops, I joined the class of 2013. DW may end up class of '14, '15, or right here at c/o '16.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:44 AM   #54

Working until spring 2016, call it April 2016 as target. Will be 52 and looking forward to it. Only concern like many is the unknown health care cost question. Doing good for health, but there is just so much uncertainty now for health care it is hard to plan for cost numbers with so much chance for large increases. Good thing is I get a small pension around $25K/year, and it has some medical insurance coverage - the big question is how much it will cost me.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #55
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
We hope to make the Class of 2016, when we will be 54 and 55. We are hopeful we will be FI by then, but want to do alot of travel up front, so we may stay on our gerbil wheels at megacorps for a year (or two?) extra to save up some play money to use for travel, and then RE. Time and the markets will tell.

We think we will need to pull about $50k after taxes from the portfolio (funny how many people have similar numbers), but this may be above the 3% withdrawal rate some of you are planning. How comfortable would you be to pull 5% from the portfolio starting at 54 & 55 until SS kicks in for us both at 62, and then reduce the portfolio withdrawal by the SS amount? We should each get about $20k/year from SS at 62 based on current projections.

This is such a fabulous forum full of great stories and great wisdom, and I am truly inspired by you all. I have been reading here and drawing inspiration for several years.
I have a similar situation, however DW just went back to work and wants to work for a few more years (80%, as a school teacher). Before she went back to work, I was looking at a greater than 4% draw down, but was willing to burn through more savings to hit SS later. My situation is more complicated, slightly, in that once I retire (class of '16 ) we will relocate to Switzerland (that is where the DW works). I have some additional expenses, and some "unknowns" as well.
On point, it MAY be better to wait until 66 if you can, as there is a hefty bump to SS by waiting, but this is just a math problem, with a nod to your comfort level burning through savings and expecting SS safety net to be there.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:12 PM   #56
Dryer sheet wannabe

spring of 2016 for me... will be 55 and have some incentives to stay until then... generally happy with my job with flashes of insanity and ridiculous stress. Have reached FI (yea) and looking forward to the next chapter of life
Old 10-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Similar to your numbers, maybe a tad less spending. Simple math to do $50,000 divided by say 3.5% withdrawal rate to get $1.43 million required portfolio. This isn't the exact spending or portfolio size or withdrawal rate I have in my plans but roughly similar.

Some here are comfortable ER'ing on less than a million. Others don't feel comfortable with many millions, a pension and/or Social Security.
My math is not good if I want 30,000 at 3.0% how much would I need to save
Old 10-23-2013, 04:57 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrichards58 View Post
My math is not good if I want 30,000 at 3.0% how much would I need to save
I think it would be 30000/.03

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:09 PM   #59

I did all kinds of FireCalc calculations and it gives me 100% success ratio if I work 2 more years. That's assuming stock & bond market do not collapse at the same time. I will put a stake in the ground for 2016 as the year I call it quits from work.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:26 PM   #60

Count Me In for ER in 2016

Planning to retire June 30, 2014 at age 55. Have a good investment portfolio, allowing me to draw 3% a year plus a nice teachers retirement pension.