Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-05-2014, 07:33 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountry View Post
2016 sounds a nice goal. Wish I can make it in 5 years!
I think I made the FI part. But I will stay with my current employer till 2023 when both my kids go to college. So I am withdrawing from class 2016.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

update
Old 01-07-2014, 02:19 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

update

I am moving my date forward from Sept 2016 to mid June 2016.

It just made sense.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:24 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrow595 View Post
Planning to retire June 30, 2014 at age 55. Have a good investment portfolio, allowing me to draw 3% a year plus a nice teachers retirement pension.
Perhaps you should post this in the class of 2014 then.....
Old 01-17-2014, 10:27 PM   #64
Dryer sheet aficionado

On track

Currently planning to retire in late 2015 before October when I turn 55. Wife and I would like to travel in our RV, car or by air chasing crisp cool fall weather through out the country. Maybe see a little snow before returning to Texas for a mild Christmas. Feel blessed that I still enjoy working at the company I have been at for 25 years but feel at that point it will be time to move on to the next act of my life. Which I often refer to as "my second childhood"
Old 01-20-2014, 01:45 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Would like to be class of 2015 but 2016 is probably the more likely scenario
Old 02-09-2014, 12:25 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Put me down for March 2016
Old 02-09-2014, 06:28 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Add me to the Class of 2016

My current retirement date is March, 2016. My husband, who is 3 years older than me, will retire at the same time. I am vested in a defined benefit plan which will provide the income I believe we can comfortably live on. In addition we have substantial savings in 401k and 457 plans. We are considering moving from San Diego to perhaps Oregon or another retirement residence. We LOVE the outdoors; hiking, rafting, kayaking, biking etc. It is way too expensive and crowded here for us. The next year will involve:
1. Tracking expenses.
2. Visit to the FP for a checkup.
3. Light remodeling for current home to prepare for selling.
4. Decrapifying and distribution of grown children's belongings and mementos.
5. Trying to survive my current employment for 2 more years without going insane.

Fortunately my DH loves his job right now.
I am loving this site so far. There is an amazing amount of info here.

Woo hoo! Class of 2016!
Old 02-10-2014, 10:01 AM   #68
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDHiker View Post
My current retirement date is March, 2016. My husband, who is 3 years older than me, will retire at the same time. I am vested in a defined benefit plan which will provide the income I believe we can comfortably live on. In addition we have substantial savings in 401k and 457 plans. We are considering moving from San Diego to perhaps Oregon or another retirement residence. We LOVE the outdoors; hiking, rafting, kayaking, biking etc. It is way too expensive and crowded here for us. The next year will involve:
1. Tracking expenses.
2. Visit to the FP for a checkup.
3. Light remodeling for current home to prepare for selling.
4. Decrapifying and distribution of grown children's belongings and mementos.
5. Trying to survive my current employment for 2 more years without going insane.

Fortunately my DH loves his job right now.
I am loving this site so far. There is an amazing amount of info here.

Woo hoo! Class of 2016!
Looks like a great plan for the next year. Pretty much identical to what I'm working on. The northwest is an awesome place to live if you want access to the outdoors. Be sure to check out the Alpine Lakes Wilderness and Goat Rocks Wilderness areas in the central Washington Cascades. I love backpacking there and hope to do a lot of it during retirement.

You mention moving to Oregon. Something to consider - Washington doesn't have an income tax like Oregon does which can have an affect on your retirement withdrawals. And... if you live just across the border from Oregon you can drive over to Oregon to make your larger purchases and save on the WA sales tax. Oregon is a great state also (we lived there 30 years), just some financial things to consider.

Good luck on achieving your goals. Unfortunately I may be moving my date to mid 2017. Which is difficult since I too am trying to survive my current job.
Dan
Old 04-20-2014, 09:23 AM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

The Class of 2016 is pretty quiet. I'm still planning on March 2016.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:36 AM   #70

I was thinking the same. Still early June for me, although zi am open to shaving a month or so off if the BS gets too much and my portfolio does better than anticipated!
Old 04-20-2014, 12:53 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Still on Track

Still planning on March 2016. We see our financial advisor on Wednesday and hope he has good news for us. In the meantime, I have plugged our current numbers into firecalc with the projected date and it seems we can have the income we need and never "fail" based on their criteria. Good news, but weird to realize we might actually be able to retire. It's actually a little scary. I will update after the appointment.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:27 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Not really sure yet but most likely year to pull the trigger is 2016. Feels good to list a year as a reference point. Really depends on how things go at work, family needs and what my investments do. Based on Firecalc I could pull the trigger now but want to build in a little thicker cushion.

That alone probably would not keep me working. My position is as a director. Work is at a critical juncture not just for me but for at least 50 other colleagues and employees that trust and depend on me. Have worked with mostly the same staff for 20+ years so the option of bailing on them now would not be palatable. By 2016 or sooner the current issues should be resolved. Fingers crossed that this round of chaos does not make me leave on a low note or make it even harder for me to leave. Also I turn 59.5 in spring 2016 which makes much more of my portfolio available.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:20 PM   #73
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
Perhaps you should post this in the class of 2014 then.....

Too funny! It should have said 2016 not 2014. That's a Freudian slip if there ever was one! I can only wish it was 2014. Thanks for pointing out my error.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:26 PM   #74

So in 2011 I posted this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by arebelspy View Post
I'm debating being class of 2015 and 2017, will depend on how some things go over the next few years, so 2016 would be my average ER class.
In 2012:
Quote:
Originally Posted by arebelspy View Post
2017 is my most likely class at this time.

Could be sooner, or could hit "one more year syndrome," but looking like June 2017 for me. Just under 5 years to go. I bet it'll fly by.
In 2013, I didn't post on the topic, but I'd have said 2017 still. Now in 2014, I'm back to my guess of 2016, and it's looking like that's about 90% to happen.

Just two more years. It'll fly by, considering only two years left and this thread was started about three years ago!
Old 04-21-2014, 05:28 PM   #75
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dand76 View Post
Looks like a great plan for the next year. Pretty much identical to what I'm working on. The northwest is an awesome place to live if you want access to the outdoors. Be sure to check out the Alpine Lakes Wilderness and Goat Rocks Wilderness areas in the central Washington Cascades. I love backpacking there and hope to do a lot of it during retirement.

You mention moving to Oregon. Something to consider - Washington doesn't have an income tax like Oregon does which can have an affect on your retirement withdrawals. And... if you live just across the border from Oregon you can drive over to Oregon to make your larger purchases and save on the WA sales tax. Oregon is a great state also (we lived there 30 years), just some financial things to consider.

Good luck on achieving your goals. Unfortunately I may be moving my date to mid 2017. Which is difficult since I too am trying to survive my current job.
Dan

Unfortunately, dand76 is right. Both Oregon and California are very tax unfriendly states for retirees. But Washington has no state income tax at all. I'm glad I relocated to PA 15 years ago. I didn't know how tax friendly we are. Higher but not high property taxes, and my IRA withdrawals won't be taxed unless I take a lot out. And Washington is beautiful. Been there many times to see family.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:41 PM   #76
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'm still planning on March 2016 as well... just had one of those days that screams it cant come soon enough!!! but 23 months left.... lots of vacation time and a month sabbatical early next year and generally the job is not as bad as today... lurking on the 2015 board to see how they are doing!
Old 05-08-2014, 06:15 PM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

An Update

My DH and I had a 2 hour meeting with our financial planner. He took the figures I gave him for a planned retirement date of March 2016 for pension and social security, along with current investment balances, and we were entirely unprepared for what he told us: "Stop contributing to your retirement accounts." What?? "Just stop." He proceeded to present several scenarios that basically showed we do not need to save any longer with that retirement date. Then he intimated that it is entirely possible to retire sooner. Next March we will meet and we may have him run the numbers for an earlier exit. Good news!!!! I don't know if I can stop saving! Totally weird. The other thing that came up was Long Term Care Insurance and we just aren't sure what to do with this. I am doing a lot of research and we are discussing it. It seems to be a difficult decision for us compounded by the knowledge of several friends/acquaintances who unexpectedly had health problems necessitating this kind of coverage. I have looked at some of the forums here regarding LTC and still not sure what to do. Any input? BTW, we are super excited by this!!
Old 05-11-2014, 05:09 PM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

Class of Relocating to NW-

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Unfortunately, dand76 is right. Both Oregon and California are very tax unfriendly states for retirees. But Washington has no state income tax at all. I'm glad I relocated to PA 15 years ago. I didn't know how tax friendly we are. Higher but not high property taxes, and my IRA withdrawals won't be taxed unless I take a lot out. And Washington is beautiful. Been there many times to see family.
I have scoured Washington for the exact mix of what we want and haven't quite found it. Spokane might be the closest, but it is not as attractive to us as Southern Oregon. But the whole affair is still up in the air. We are looking for lack of long, dreary rainy season, good airport access, good medical care, restaurants, cultural, and educational (for retirees) opportunities. Along with access to mountain trails, kayaking and biking. Bend has been suggested, but I have been there and it was weird to me. so if anyone has suggestions, I am all ears. But I definitely get the fact that WA has no income tax, which would be great! BTW, thanks for all feedback and great suggestions.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:35 PM   #79
Dryer sheet aficionado

SDHiker, we have similar interests. I haven't spent time in Spokane but do know it is a bit colder longer there than where I am (2 hrs south). Not sure how long the growing season is like if you're a gardener.

DW and I are taking a serious look at Sequim and Port Angeles. It has an unusual lack of rain do to the rain shadow affect from the Olympic mountains. Moderate climate, fishing/crabbing in Puget Sound, and at the base of the Olympic mountains. Google Sequim and rain shadow and you'll find all kinds of info.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:58 AM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

one LESS year, anyone?

I signed on to this thread when it started a few years back. And looking back at my records, I see I have been targeting 2016 since about 2004. But, with the nice market performance last year, I suddenly hit my "number" around December 2013. At that point, I started toying with the idea of going out earlier, but there were a few things keeping me to 2016. My understanding was that I could qualify for a couple nice benefits at that point (retiree health insurance for me, tuition remission at a good University for my kids).

As the stash has continued to grow, and w*rk has continued to become more and more of a pain, I started thinking more about giving up those benefits and going earlier anyway....so today I had an appointment with HR to make sure I understand the rules. And turns out I didn't! In a very good way. Apparently, my kids already qualify for the tuition benefit. And the retiree insurance is not all or nothing, but proportional before 16 years (i.e. if I retire after 15 years, I get 15/16 of the subsidy)

So now I am seriously thinking one LESS year (i.e. 2015).

Anyone else shifting the date forward?