Class of 2016

I've noticed the closer you get the slower time goes issue.

I'm about 16 months and 5 days. But who's counting. :)

Today marks my 18 month countdown to my projected date of FIRE.

My tolerance for work life BS just lowered one tick.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Guilty. . .OMY. I was 2015. Add me to 2016 (for now!).

Anyone feel like staring a list like the 2015 thread?

I am pulling out of 2016, but just barely. Moved my retirement date to December 30, 2015. I am almost giddy.

There already is a 2016 listing. Just search backwards on this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Pulling out of 2016, choosing 2018 instead

Our daughter is scheduled to graduate from college in May 2018 so I've delayed my retirement plans until the end of that year. Despite enjoying FI now, I'm not sure what I'd do if I retired now (or in 2016) and also am in a low-stress "easy money" work environment. I may as well enjoy the low-hanging fruit for a few more years particularly while being obligated from private university tuition.

My retired spouse and I will spend the next few years trying to reinvent ourselves to enjoy retirement (and I'll be 60 in 2018).

I'll take Roy's place. I haven't come across this thread since joining, but I'm glad to have found it. When I started seriously planning, I was looking at June 2019, but as I built more details into my marvellous spreadsheet o' hopes-and-dreams, the date kept inching back, so now I am pretty darned confident that we'll be able to finish work in June 2016. I'll be 50, and Husband will be about to turn 52, and we'll be heading out to explore the world.

I'm about one year out. I'm still on track to give notice the first of March 2016. Can't wait.

It's bittersweet I have noticed. It's like the closer you get the slower time goes and the less I can tolerate the office BS! Is there a name for this phenomenon?

Age inappropriate but I call it the FU point. I hit it late 2014 (still working and mostly like it) but basically as soon as I knew I didn't have to work; my tolerance for BS went from low to zero (I think it made me more valuable ironically). Once you hit that point, the inner FU tends to be vocalized as you emerge from the BS fog that gets built up starting around age 6.

My dad used to tell me a coworker of his said it's the difference between saying FU before or after you hang up the phone :).

Damn nice to have the problem of "which ER class to join?"

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

New guy here looking forward to retiring Dec 2016. 35 year Fed under CSRS. Learned a lot from this site and looking forward to participating.
Ryan2016

Another Newbie Here

I'm looking to retire in early 2016. I've been studying and researching so much on how to do it, it feels like a part time job.

Looking forward to learning lots from the forum and being inspired by others who have completed the journey.

February 19, 2016 firm retirement date. More or less.

Add us to the Class of 2016!!!

We met with our Fidelity representative yesterday. Our goal is $150K after tax income with 60K of fixed/discretionary and $90K of travel per year. He said we had 90% chance of making it to 81 and 75% of making it to 92 so we decided to move up our date to November 2016!!!!!

I will be 59 and DW 58. I will need to really manage taxes for the first ten years and we will cut back on travel if needed. Still, moving up one year really feels good!!!

Marc

I just passed the 1 year mark in my countdown to FIRE on April Fool's Day 2016. Already I notice myself thinking, "well that's the last strategy offsite, employee succession planning, etc. I'll ever have to do ..." 😃. Still way too far out to really share with anyone at work.

Keep Pushing $ Into SEP-IRA or Not?

I'm self empl and have been for ~20+ or so years and have pushed lots of $ into my SEP-IRA over this whole time. I hit 59.5 in May of 2016 ( date when I can take IRA $ out w no penalty).

Assuming I hang on with my current gig thru at least 5/2016...at this point does it make sense to keep putting $ in my SEP-IRA? In theory I'd be pulling it back out in mid 2016. We have enough cash to float us for a good while, plus a good bit of non IRA VG funds too.

Am I missing something here with just stopping the SEP-IRA contributions if I'm ER-ed in a year?

I'm self empl and have been for ~20+ or so years and have pushed lots of $ into my SEP-IRA over this whole time. I hit 59.5 in May of 2016 ( date when I can take IRA $ out w no penalty).

Assuming I hang on with my current gig thru at least 5/2016...at this point does it make sense to keep putting $ in my SEP-IRA? In theory I'd be pulling it back out in mid 2016. We have enough cash to float us for a good while, plus a good bit of non IRA VG funds too.

Am I missing something here with just stopping the SEP-IRA contributions if I'm ER-ed in a year?

If you are currently in the 25% or 28% (or higher) tax bracket, and in 2017 you can take it out in the 15% bracket, why not continue contributing? The best reason to stop contributing, in my opinion, is when you have so much in the IRA that your MRD will put you in a high tax bracket when you reach 70.5. That would be in the $2-3 million region, I suppose.

From a fellow May 2016 future-retiree and continuing IRA contributor.

If you are currently in the 25% or 28% (or higher) tax bracket, and in 2017 you can take it out in the 15% bracket, why not continue contributing? The best reason to stop contributing, in my opinion, is when you have so much in the IRA that your MRD will put you in a high tax bracket when you reach 70.5. That would be in the $2-3 million region, I suppose.
Scinch- Thanks for your input. I'm thinking DUH..."yeah why didn't I realize that"??:angel::angel:??

I have developed OMY syndrome and am moving myself from April 2015 to March 2016 so that I can say less then one year to go.

November 2016 for us

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Just reaching one year to Independence Day, which will be the end of April 2016. I will have some vacation to use in 2016, so I may not have to w*rk all the way until the end of April. It is nice to be able to say one year, but it still seems faaar away.

I'm going for October/November of 2016.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

13 months 24 days to go!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom