Class of 2016

I'm still planning on March 2016 as well... just had one of those days that screams it cant come soon enough!!! but 23 months left.... lots of vacation time and a month sabbatical early next year and generally the job is not as bad as today... lurking on the 2015 board to see how they are doing!

An Update

My DH and I had a 2 hour meeting with our financial planner. He took the figures I gave him for a planned retirement date of March 2016 for pension and social security, along with current investment balances, and we were entirely unprepared for what he told us: "Stop contributing to your retirement accounts." What?? "Just stop." :dance: He proceeded to present several scenarios that basically showed we do not need to save any longer with that retirement date. Then he intimated that it is entirely possible to retire sooner. Next March we will meet and we may have him run the numbers for an earlier exit. Good news!!!! I don't know if I can stop saving! Totally weird. The other thing that came up was Long Term Care Insurance and we just aren't sure what to do with this. I am doing a lot of research and we are discussing it. It seems to be a difficult decision for us compounded by the knowledge of several friends/acquaintances who unexpectedly had health problems necessitating this kind of coverage. I have looked at some of the forums here regarding LTC and still not sure what to do. Any input? BTW, we are super excited by this!!

Class of Relocating to NW-

Unfortunately, dand76 is right. Both Oregon and California are very tax unfriendly states for retirees. But Washington has no state income tax at all. I'm glad I relocated to PA 15 years ago. I didn't know how tax friendly we are. Higher but not high property taxes, and my IRA withdrawals won't be taxed unless I take a lot out. And Washington is beautiful. Been there many times to see family.

I have scoured Washington for the exact mix of what we want and haven't quite found it. Spokane might be the closest, but it is not as attractive to us as Southern Oregon. But the whole affair is still up in the air. We are looking for lack of long, dreary rainy season, good airport access, good medical care, restaurants, cultural, and educational (for retirees) opportunities. Along with access to mountain trails, kayaking and biking. Bend has been suggested, but I have been there and it was weird to me. so if anyone has suggestions, I am all ears. But I definitely get the fact that WA has no income tax, which would be great! BTW, thanks for all feedback and great suggestions.
:)

SDHiker, we have similar interests. I haven't spent time in Spokane but do know it is a bit colder longer there than where I am (2 hrs south). Not sure how long the growing season is like if you're a gardener.

DW and I are taking a serious look at Sequim and Port Angeles. It has an unusual lack of rain do to the rain shadow affect from the Olympic mountains. Moderate climate, fishing/crabbing in Puget Sound, and at the base of the Olympic mountains. Google Sequim and rain shadow and you'll find all kinds of info.

one LESS year, anyone?

I signed on to this thread when it started a few years back. And looking back at my records, I see I have been targeting 2016 since about 2004. But, with the nice market performance last year, I suddenly hit my "number" around December 2013. At that point, I started toying with the idea of going out earlier, but there were a few things keeping me to 2016. My understanding was that I could qualify for a couple nice benefits at that point (retiree health insurance for me, tuition remission at a good University for my kids).

As the stash has continued to grow, and w*rk has continued to become more and more of a pain, I started thinking more about giving up those benefits and going earlier anyway....so today I had an appointment with HR to make sure I understand the rules. And turns out I didn't! In a very good way. Apparently, my kids already qualify for the tuition benefit. And the retiree insurance is not all or nothing, but proportional before 16 years (i.e. if I retire after 15 years, I get 15/16 of the subsidy) :D

So now I am seriously thinking one LESS year (i.e. 2015).

Anyone else shifting the date forward?

Nice! I am two weeks ahead of you at the end of March 2016. I will be just short of 57. So looking forward to it. Congratulations, Derslickmeister!

I'll be 5 weeks behind you. June 3rd for me less than a month before I turn 55.

I am out on 7/1/2016, (maybe 7/5 to pick up a weekend and a holiday...), unless I am out sooner...

May or June for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Put me on the list for May 1, 2016 at age 57. I'm hopping over here from the 2014 list...TMY syndrome, I guess.

I'm new to the forum - DW & I have reached FI and heading toward RE on 4/1/16. The extra few years will set us up for an even nicer lifestyle than we have now.

Since I'll be a couple weeks short of my 50th birthday, I like that I'll be able to say I retired in my 40s. I also like the fun of retiring on April Fools Day.

We're penciling in April 2016, one year past, 100% FC. Just want a little buffer, eh?
Will live in Phoenix during the winter, Spokane the spring summer and fall. Tremendous amount of things to keep us busy.
The best of both worlds.:dance:

Al, I just came to Ohio today to get my ds situated at college. So I'll woo hoo with you!

It's bittersweet I have noticed. It's like the closer you get the slower time goes and the less I can tolerate the office BS! Is there a name for this phenomenon?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

It's bittersweet I have noticed. It's like the closer you get the slower time goes and the less I can tolerate the office BS! Is there a name for this phenomenon?

I think there should be a name for this. I've tried to Google it but no luck. My productivity at w*rk has gone way down. All I seem to want to do is watch for the stock market to hit a new high, browse this forum and research retirement locations and RVs. First time in 40 years of w*rking where I've placed my personal life in front of my j*b.

It's going to be a long 2 years of pre-retirement obsession.

I have yet to experience that phenomena yet. Planning FIRE in late 2016. My mind is going through a ready, aim FIRE loop week to week. Only on the most frustrating of weeks do I find myself daydreaming at w*rk of post Fire or feel my productivity dropping. Probably because of compartmentalizing my w*rk tasks and goals from home life.

At home is a different story. Spend a lot of time crunching numbers trying to refine the budget for my wants and needs. All in lock step with DW of course. Biggest dillema right now is deciding on how much to budget for travel ballanced against a future downsized residence located :confused:? Weird part is that every evening and every morning I feel ready to FIRE today. Guess I am working on the READY AND AIM as an excuse for OMYx2.

Based on a corp buyout announced last week ... moving into class of 2016 from 2017. TBD if we might actually get into class of '15, but being conservative for now. Glad I can join the earlier year!

Congratulations, Tim! You can start a countdown clock now!

21 more months for me as of today. It can't arrive soon enough! Seems like someone takes your BS bucket away and hands you a smaller one when you start getting closer to ER.

I'm thinking about making a change and going part time in March of 2015. That is if Megacorp will let me. If I had to give odds, I'd say there is a 70% chance of approval to go the part time/contract route.

1016 is my new target. $$ will not be an issue. I was in the class of 2014, but recently relocated back to TX (hooray!), putting me much closer to retirement destination (TX hill country). I have to work 12 months or the megacorp will come after me for the relocation $$. 2016 - the DW can get SS at 62, which will help out a bit. So, late spring, early summer 2016 is the target.

I Don't Care Syndrome(IDCS). When the realization that we have enough $ to live our desired lifestyle is greater than our fear of running out of $. I ran out the door when it was clear in my mind(2 OMYs for me). I've seen a bunch of other co-w*rkers do the same.

The most recent was a former co-w*rker that took off 30 days to help his DF pass. Coming back to w*rk his manager never said 'sorry for your loss' or any condolences, he was given crap his project was 30 days behind schedule. He gave his resignation that day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

BS Bucket

I like IDCS! But I seem to care enough to be irritated by EVERYTHING involving BS (my bucket is the size of a thimble) and bureaucracy. Since I moved into Middle Management three years ago, I just don't like what I am doing every day. Still have a date of March 29, 2016, but every day I think about trying to move it up. I need to get my head out of this loop because it's making me very unhappy. Al in Ohio and dand76, I know exactly what you guys are talking about. MRG, it seems the cure is to pull the trigger asap!

Back
Top Bottom