Join Early Retirement Today

Class of 2016
Old 05-14-2011, 04:23 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Class of 2016

Anyone else?
almost there is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2011, 04:34 PM   #2
gone traveling

what does that mean...2016 will be your retirement year?

some projections show us reaching critical mass and retiring that year, but a lot will depend on market returns for our current portfolio. If so then we will join you!
DoraM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:39 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm debating being class of 2015 and 2017, will depend on how some things go over the next few years, so 2016 would be my average ER class.
arebelspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:58 PM   #4

2017 here unless my wife gets an early buyout offer.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:29 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

2016 is my goal. I think I have a reasonable chance of making it, but I'll have to see how things go with the portfolio and health insurance.

What are people doing now to prepare to ER ~5 years out? I've been thinking about this lately, and a few items on my to-do list are:

1. Track my expenses and get a better handle on them. I think I have a pretty good idea of how much I spend and where my $$ is going, but will want to be *sure* before making an ER decision.
2. Educate myself on withdrawal strategies/issues. Something I have not thought much about during accumulation.
3. Revisit my asset allocation and think about if/how I should adjust it as I near ER.
4. Figure out health insurance options (but I figure this is not worth doing til I'm closer since things could change a lot the next few years).

What should I add to my to-do list?

Cheers
-eyeonfi
eyeonFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeonFI View Post
2016 is my goal. I think I have a reasonable chance of making it, but I'll have to see how things go with the portfolio and health insurance.

What are people doing now to prepare to ER ~5 years out? I've been thinking about this lately, and a few items on my to-do list are:

1. Track my expenses and get a better handle on them. I think I have a pretty good idea of how much I spend and where my $$ is going, but will want to be *sure* before making an ER decision.
2. Educate myself on withdrawal strategies/issues. Something I have not thought much about during accumulation.
3. Revisit my asset allocation and think about if/how I should adjust it as I near ER.
4. Figure out health insurance options (but I figure this is not worth doing til I'm closer since things could change a lot the next few years).

Cheers
-eyeonfi
5. Figure out what you will do all day.

Just kidding. List looks good. Any big ticket items you could anticipate needing to deal with before/soon after retirement?

DD
Old 05-14-2011, 07:44 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

2015 or 2016

I'm hoping for 2015, but it may end up being 2016!
Let's hope that the market has some good years until then....
LightningDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:27 PM   #8

Sept 1 2016 is the plan for us. I'll be 55 DH 51. Holding out for Corp subsidized healthcare. It could disappear at any time but if it still exists we'll be outa here. Days in retirement will be filled to overflowing.
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:06 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

@DD: thanks - no problem on #5 for me: my kids will be 6 and 8 in 2016 . i often unwind after a day of w*rk by mentally walking through the gloriously boring details of my post-ER day: up at 6, walk them to school at 7:15...

only planned big purchase between now and then is a new(er) car. but that is already in the spreadsheet. just did a lot of house stuff (new roof, siding, etc) so hopefully no huge surprises await.
eyeonFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:59 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

2016 sounds a nice goal. Wish I can make it in 5 years!
HillCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:41 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeonFI View Post

That is a good list and basically what I am focusing on too as a tentative member of the Class of 2016.

1. I started tracking expenses a year ago and found that I was spending a little less than I thought.

2. I have thought about withdrawal strategies and tax efficiency and withdrawal rates, but don't have any concrete plans yet. This is an area I need to put some thought into in the next few years.

3. Asset Allocation - I'm still almost completely in stocks with hardly any bonds, and that is something that will have to change in the next few years. But I don't have a plan yet.

4. Health insurance - we will qualify for cheap/free health insurance on Jan 1 2014 if Obamacare remains in force. Otherwise this is a big unknown.

Some other things: I will have to forecast future spending needs that are different than now - the kids will be older in 5 years (age 9 and 11) and there could be another child or two in the picture in 5 years. Also have to forecast some amortization of capital costs (for car and house).

And the big question - "what will we do all day?". I think I have that answered for the most part, but DW will struggle. Kids will keep her busy (in a good way) the first decade or two I'm sure.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:35 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

We're planning to FIRE in 2016 at age 55, but could go as soon as 2014, depending on how/if Obamacare is implemented. Health care is really the only thing that is preventing us from pulling the plug now. My wife becomes eligible for a modest pension of approximately $14K/year in 2016, which we hope will be adequate to fund our health care expenses.
IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:35 PM   #13
Confused about dryer sheets

Brand new to this forum and trying to make 2016 work for me. I have a reasonable chance as long as the overall market does not go crazy and I can find a solution to healthcare at that time.
Estes80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I am going to add myself to the class of 2016. Am FI now but need to work until Sept 2015 for vesting in a defined benefit plan, so I'll put up with 3 1/2 more years. And since I get a lot of holiday time in November and December, my planned exit date is January 2016. The hard part is to keep working when I know I don't have to.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #15

DH and I are planning to exit in May 2016 (we will both be 58). Some days it seems like it will be here before we know it and other days it seems like an eternity. I won't miss the Sunday night angst!
Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

On days like today, I'm not sure I'll make it to 2016....
Old 02-10-2012, 06:00 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Pencil me in.
Gerbil Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:54 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've been thinking a lot of things through, assessing our finances, my job situation (and my ability to tolerate it), and the progression of DW's new career... and for now, pencil me in on this class. I may "skip a grade" to 2015, but for now, this is where I think I'll be. It's probably not going to permanent full-time retirement. But by that time I think I'll be able to recharge, consider what I want to do for the rest of my w*rking life, figure out how to do it on my terms (even if not highly lucrative) and take it from there. We should be on adequate financial footing by then, DW's new career being the most critical variable.

This would make me about 50 at the time I pulled the plug on TPS reports and the Megacorp madness. As I said I don't think it will be full retirement for good but it will be a glorious down payment.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #19

Just checking in with the class of 2016. DH and I are still on track unless there is a market crash or some other economic disaster. We still need to figure out a withdrawl strategy. We won't have any debts unless we hold onto our prime residence (our secondary residence will be our retirement home). Anyway, we don't want to wish our life away, but are getting more and more psyched for May 2016 (we will be 58)!
Old 07-08-2012, 08:42 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Keep me penciled in. My portfolio has risen nicely in the secular bull, however another major drop prior to 2016 might cause problems.

Like ziggy, not full time retirement for me but a nice down payment.
Gerbil Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote