Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaglemom View Post
I plan to spend more time with my two dogs too as well as pursuing hobbies I don't have much time to do now.
Have you considered volunteering as a therapy dog team? It's very rewarding, and a great way to spend time with your dog(s).
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe

Absolutely! We plan to get involved in volunteering and fostering dogs in retirement. So great to hear from other beagle lovers!

My road to ER is progressing. I decided to ask for Friday's off in lieu of a raise and my boss said yes!
beaglemom is offline   Reply With Quote
An odd milestone passed
Old 05-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

An odd milestone passed

I keep coming up with different ways to measure the remaining time at work until retirement, as if that will make it pass more quickly or make it easier to deal with. My latest gimmick is to measure my work career against a work week, with my beginning (part time back in 1978) being Monday at 8:00 a.m., and my ending (10/31/2017) being Friday at 4:30 p.m. (our official quitting time, though we seldom leave anywhere near then). I am currently standing at high noon on Friday. Every month I can advance the clock by five minutes. I even printed out a little analog clock, which I will replace next month with one showing 12:05. It's Friday afternoon at last, my friends, and closing in on the weekend!

(I do this sort of thing when work pressures and stresses are at their highest. It is one way to stay sane, and carry on toward the planned end date. It is helping immensely during this critical budget development cycle and financial software upgrade.)
Indigo Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:41 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

And...based on the previous posts, here's the preliminary Class of 2017:

arbelspy (6/xx/17)
beaglemom
Bryan Barnfellow (6/30/17)
HawkeyeNFO (eligible)
Indigo Mule (10/31/17)
MuirWannabe
Omalley (4/xx/17)
RossW (Plan B--see 2015 for Plan A)
SinCityGrrrl1 (possible 2015 instead)
SumDay
Indigo Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:30 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Mule View Post
My latest gimmick is to measure my work career against a work week
I used to do something similar, I would calculate the percentage of the time I had left. # remaining months / (33 years * 12 months)

Your way is more creative.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Mule View Post
I've been itching to start a Class of 2017 thread, but was holding off until 2016 and 2015 had established theirs.
Proud of you - think of me as the freshman looking up to the seniors....

CUinFL - class of 2020
CUinFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:00 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
I used to do something similar, I would calculate the percentage of the time I had left. # remaining months / (33 years * 12 months)

Your way is more creative.
Agree. I love the clock/calendar idea. My lame methods are more percentage based too.

My target is 1/2/2018, right behind you guys. I started a thread, but seems like I have no classmates yet.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Hope to be part of 2017
Old 07-25-2013, 01:37 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Hope to be part of 2017

The end/beginning draws near. Rather than lurking I thought I would throw my name in the pot for 2017. Currently 54 and DW is 56. Firecalc says 2015 at 100% and 2014 at 97.1%. Fidelity says 2017. The pucker factor says 2018. I have really enjoyed this website and like the great support that you all give to each other.
jcretire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Although my retirement will not be official till Dec. 31, 2017 I still think that puts me in this class. Waiting and counting down.
chief04010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Put me down for middle of February, 2017. Will use the fresh vacation to carry me through Q1 bonus eligibility. Hey, this thread's a year old, so look how fast the time flies, right?
Gazingus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Changing my mind. Not sure if I will be able to change the mind of my Dear DW, but looking more realistically at what we spend and putting that into every calculator known to man I think that I am leaving the Class of 2017 and moving (please, please, please) to the Class of 2015. April 2015 is the goal.
jcretire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:49 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Target date for ER is the 1st of October 2017 for both my wife and I. We will both be 50 (May and Feb. 2017 respectively) and are currently on track to meet our FIRE goals established many years ago when we started working overseas (12 and 17 years ago for the same company). I count the money, she counts the days and months!
Lucantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #33
Dryer sheet wannabe

My current plan is January 10, 2017. Company has a subsidized medical benefit and cost of living adjustment to pension at 62, if those change my plans will change.
ccourt9283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Knocking on Wood
Old 10-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #34

Knocking on Wood

Running numbers through every calc and 100% success rate says (knocking on wood) FIRE June, 2017, age 59-1/2. DW (lucky duck), June 2016. Plans include retiring overseas.
candrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:42 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm joining the class of 2017. 42 months and counting. It's like sitting at a stoplight and revving your car engine. I'm going to be obsessed when the time gets closer. I remember many years ago, we were going canoeing in the Minnesota Boundary Waters. The closer we got to the lakes, the faster I was driving. My DW had to slow me down. I assume heading toward retirement will be the same kind of experience.
Revlefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:39 AM   #36
Confused about dryer sheets

I'm planning 2017 as my class year. April 3 to be exact. So when I first started counting down I was around 65 months and now it's 38 months. It goes very fast and really makes you see why you have to have a plan and be willing to make changes along the way. I will be 55 and will be retiring after 25 yrs working for the city that I live in. I knew the first day I started I would have my 25 yrs in the same week I turn 55. It was a plan set in stone for me. I have worked very hard toward my goal. Now 38 months away from that goal. I don't really see myself as a " short timer" yet. Most of the guys that have retired in the past started feeling that way with 3 yrs to go. Good luck to all my fellow class of 2017. Hope it all works out for all of us!
Old 01-09-2014, 03:52 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Have been furiously running numbers in FIRECALC and other calculators plus my own model ... and I think DW and I are in for class of 2017. I will be 50 then and our kids will both be off to college, so I'm thinking we are on track for that based on all of the numbers. Currently at about $3.5 in NW heavily in equities and no debt - so almost there ...

If Corp employer has a massive run in the market, is sold, or if we have a couple more years like '13 in the markets (my cash inv return > my salary+bonus) we may be out sooner.

Would possibly be looking at '15 or '16 -- but we have high costs of living (SoCal is great, but housing and taxes are HIGH!).
TallTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:29 PM   #38

I plan to retire in 2016, plus or minus 1 year. But posts in these forums are scaring me to work even longer despite, deep down inside, I feel that I have enough already for FI. All the talks of 2% WR, having enough to last 40 - 50 years with long term care expenses, spiking inflation, SS changing rules (or going bust), unexpected calamity, ... What little confidence in FIRE before joining this forum has been evaporating. Sigh.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:22 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi, I am new to the site, class of 2017, May 31 to be precise.

Really trying to figure out FIRE, it is like drinking from a fire hose. .

I think my first two steps are figuring out my annual spend, we live so simply I don't know what we spend. Second is moving investments into a stable retirement structure- whatever that is.

Currently at 1.3M in vanguard 401K, also eligible for $10K month guaranteed pension in 3 years- that keeps me going to work, no debt, another $250k in various investments. Stay at home wife. 2 grown kids almost completely launched. Only one living parent, my mom, she is healthy, independent and financially good shape.

Plenty to do when I retire, that won't be an issue.

Thanks!
lwp2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome to the class
Old 02-12-2014, 01:11 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome to the class

May 31 is also my date. The end is in sight.
Revlefty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2017, class, europe, switzerland