Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-04-2014, 12:43 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

BUMP

We also plan/hope to be in this class m/l. Still a large band for us, between July '17 and Aug '18, at 57 & 56 or 58 & 57. (DW in four doc group and will want a replacement on the ground before leaving.)

Thought it would be earlier, but safer SWR margins, desire to increase discretionary spending in retirement, and my many years as SAHD took their toll.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Class of 2017, here I come
Old 12-18-2014, 03:23 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Class of 2017, here I come

Although I am FI now and from multiple different inputs could retire now, I'm going to target 2017 as my latest retirement date. Our youngest child graduates from college at that point, and I think that makes a nice definitive point to retire.

I have little job stress. Most of my job is more like a hobby, and my "stress" now comes more from trying to do too many interesting things. I am surprised at how FI makes things much more relaxing for me. The most uncontrollable part is travel, but DW has started to come along on some of my business trips, and that makes them MUCH more fun. In addition, I no longer have a need to strive for promotions and raises - focusing more on helping others get to those promotions and raises is a good feeling. Of course, I don't tell others this, and "commiserate" with them regarding lack of or, or small, raises and promotions - but it feels good inside not having to care about that aspect of the job anymore.

Of course, Megacorp with the stroke of a pen can decide to get rid of me (which wouldn't necessarily be bad due to the severance). But they have cut so much to the bone that it is causing many issues, and have started to make things more flexible for those of us still around - e.g. telecommuting being totally our decision, tracking vacations/holiday/sick time on the "honor system", etc. So my plan is to spend the next 2.5 years being a solid but unstressed contributor, and continuing to build our finances (but also loosening the purse strings a bit). And if things change and I decide to, or and forced to, leave earlier - well, being FI now makes that a non-issue.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:15 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief04010 View Post
This almost sounds like I posted it, had to check to make sure I wasn't sleep typing.

Although, I'm still planning on retiring at 59 1/2 at the end of 2017.
What's the signifigance of age 59 1/2 other than the IRS penalties on withdrawals from tax-deferred accounts? If you are 55 or over and retired, there are no tax penalties, anyway. Right?

Oh, and, I'm definitely firing in Q1 2017!
Gazingus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 03:20 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazingus View Post
What's the signifigance of age 59 1/2 other than the IRS penalties on withdrawals from tax-deferred accounts? If you are 55 or over and retired, there are no tax penalties, anyway. Right?

55 and over withdrawls and terminated from service from 401ks?
You owe tax and may not owe 10% penalty. Depends on your plan and the ability to take withdrawals. Check around here, there's too many posters that report the 401k allows for 55 and terminated from service, but no good way to withdraw your assets. Then your into 72t.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 04:30 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Significance of 59 1/2 for me is exactly that, 10% early withdrawal penalties. During all my saving years it never occurred to me that I might be able to retire early so all of my retirement funds are in IRAs. Lack of planning on my part but probably would have OMY'd it to 2017 anyway.
dand76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:09 AM   #66
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hello from Vermont. Looking to join class of 2017. Early Retirement Defined Benefit pension options kick in at 55. Like some of the posters, counting down the days, hoping no job eliminations, or worse. My wife and I are on the same page, but she may work a bit longer. I think we can pull this off. My job is not horrible, but the stress keeps me up at night and it's like Game of Thrones at work, with everyone jockeying for power. Not my bag at this point. I have just started in this forum, so I'll post financial stuff later to get opinions from folks on strategy and pitfalls.
fishvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:11 AM   #67
Dryer sheet aficionado

I love this ! I am going to do the same thing and see where I fall on the clock.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:23 AM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

For me the 59 1/2 is just how old I'll be in 12/2017 but it also makes it so my Roth portion of my 401(k) is available to me upon retirement, without penalty.
chief04010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:43 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

We're aiming for April of 2017. I'll be 59 1/2 in August of 2017, but we want at least 1/2 year in Washington state because of no state income tax. We're going to try to live off of $62k year but that is 10k less than we spend now with teen son in junior college. One house DW wants to keep in CA and one in WA, so we'll have to really tighten the belts. I can hardly wait. The house in WA is on Orcas island.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
OrcasIslandBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:39 AM   #70
Dryer sheet aficionado

Does anyone know if there is a thread explaining the impact of ER on SS benefits? Should we work part time and continue to contribute? We plan on waiting until 70 to collect, but I expect there is a strategy around contributions that makes sense. Also, the SS site assumes you contribute until 65 in their estimates, so how do I get a more realistic estimates of our benefits?
Old 02-16-2015, 08:45 AM   #71
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishvt View Post
Does anyone know if there is a thread explaining the impact of ER on SS benefits?
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ity-65613.html
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...-er-66576.html
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ees-53150.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishvt View Post
Also, the SS site assumes you contribute until 65 in their estimates, so how do I get a more realistic estimates of our benefits?
Use the online SS benefits calculator, manually input your earnings history, input zero for future (after ER) earnings.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:07 AM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

I have used two different ways to estimate SS from inside the ss.gov website. One allows you to create the SS statement that used to be mailed to all of us. The other is the ss "estimator". This site always requires me to fumble around to find it, but is worth the trouble. Once there, I put in 1$ for future wages and select different ages to retire 63,65, 70, etc. By doing this, I get estimates of ss combined with ER that allow me to choose when I will start collecting ss even while not earning money beforehand.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:22 AM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Put us in. I pulled the plug a few years ago but the "meal ticket" is still working. We are FI but the old accumulation habits are hard to break. I probably remind DH once a week that we can get out at any time. My crystal ball tells me to expect a pull back in the market in 2016 so that makes 2017 look even better.
End of the year 2017 is when our planets should be in alignment.
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:51 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post

We also plan/hope to be in this class m/l. Still a large band for us, between July '17 and Aug '18, at 57 & 56 or 58 & 57. (DW in four doc group and will want a replacement on the ground before leaving.)

Thought it would be earlier, but safer SWR margins, desire to increase discretionary spending in retirement, and my many years as SAHD took their toll.
DW gave formal written notice this past month that she will be out in 2017 once replacement is on board for baton hand off. Yippee!

2017ish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 01:09 PM   #75

Happy to join this class. Although my date is 1 Feb 2017, usable holidays and accrued vacation in January that year will allow me to have my last day at work almost a week prior, which will be a couple days before my 55th birthday. We hired a for-fee planner last November, made a bunch of risk shedding investment moves and my wife is now 100% on board as well. She will work about 3-4 years past that date.

I have to say that a lot of friends are astonished when I tell them that I will retire early. I get "how can you do that?", or "I wish I could do that!" a lot. I just tell them that this has been a goal of mine for decades and it is not something that I decided to do a few years ago. It is decades of living WELL below our means and saving hard. Last 4 or so years, we put away 33% of our income into various investments/long term savings. I am thankful to be married to a woman how makes a strong salary as well.

Best of luck to all fellow "classmates" in meeting your goals as well!!!!
doneat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:40 PM   #76
Dryer sheet aficionado

I plan on joining you all on 12/31/2017. I'll be 56 1/2.
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:49 AM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

ER date of 4/1/2017. Orcas island bound. Can't wait! We'll both be 59.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:27 AM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcasIslandBound View Post
ER date of 4/1/2017. Orcas island bound. Can't wait! We'll both be 59.

Orcas Island eh? We will pretty much be neighbours, though on different sides of the watery border between our respective countries.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:40 PM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

Sea Kayaker, thank you, that's cool!

Old 08-18-2015, 11:24 AM   #80

Feeling pretty good about a June 30, 2017 start. This is a payout date for my YE bonus and I don't want give my employer a chance to screw me out of it. DW would've retired from her teaching position at the end of the school year in May 2017. We will be 59 & 57. We are going to live on our good looks until DW's pension (and a miniscule one of mine) start in 3 years.

Tags
2017, class, europe, switzerland