Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-19-2015, 01:00 PM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
Feeling pretty good about a June 30, 2017 start. This is a payout date for my YE bonus and I don't want give my employer a chance to screw me out of it. DW would've retired from her teaching position at the end of the school year in May 2017. We will be 59 & 57. We are going to live on our good looks until DW's pension (and a miniscule one of mine) start in 3 years.

Dang, good looks. I knew I was missing something.
dand76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2015, 01:38 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dand76 View Post
Dang, good looks. I knew I was missing something.
While DW is a very attractive woman, alas, I am a bit of a boat anchor in the good looks department. I really more mean after tax savings, with an eye to manage MAGI very closely to maximize ACA subsidies.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:21 AM   #83
Dryer sheet wannabe

Mark me down as a 2017 member. I plan on retiring July 1, 2017 at the age of 49 with a nice pension, affordable medical through work, and working part-time, approximately 15 hrs a week. DW has a few more years to go, but things look good for now.
Arkgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Class of 2017
Old 10-12-2015, 04:19 PM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

Class of 2017

Welcome to the class of 2017!
Revlefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 05:19 AM   #85
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucantes View Post
Have pushed up our date just slightly to the 1st of August 2017, still on track to meet our FIRE goals. Saving about 70-80% of our income now and it is all good!
Revised our date again, now it is the 2nd of April 2017!
Lucantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Birthday! Two years (and two weeks)
Old 10-20-2015, 09:16 AM   #86
Recycles dryer sheets

Birthday! Two years (and two weeks)

My retirement date is October 31, 2017, which is the end of the month in which I turn 55. Today is my 53rd birthday, and I am giddy with joy that there are just two more years until retirement.

I remember when I seriously started counting down (at a little over six years to go), and am delighted that time has continued ticking down, day by day. This last year, I have been "practicing" for retirement, on most weekends and vacation days. I am putting in place now the structure and plan so I can smoothly transition. As a reclusive introvert, I have also been looking at how I will maintain my social network--who knows; maybe, with the removal of work stress, I will have more inclination to spontaneously socialize.

One drawback to "practicing" retirement is that I go so deep into the freedom and relaxation of the weekend (completely forgetting about work) that Sunday nights and Monday mornings have been brutal. I remind myself there are only (current count) more weeks, take a deep breath, and bite back my growls.

What I have learned in this forum is that if you want 100% certainty, you will never have it. (I grab my popcorn and find great diversion in reading about what seems to me to be huge incomes and very high standards of living, and the poster is waffling with fear that it isn't enough.) I have observed members deciding to take the "one more year" path, and those who cast themselves into the arms of their plan and make it work. I will be one of the latter. I analyzed the effect of "one more year" for my situation, and, ultimately, being free from work will be far more valuable to my health and life than the additional buffer from another year of work.

Thank you all for being here, contributing to this forum. I will go back to lurking and reading, and check in again next year, with the triumphant cry of, "LAST WORK YEAR!"
Indigo Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:23 PM   #87
Dryer sheet wannabe

Happy belated birthday Indigo! Yours is a very timely post as DH and I are struggling with OMY syndrome. I may be reluctantly moving from the class of 2017 to the class of 2018. DH has some minor medical issues and wants to make sure he is on medicare before he takes the plunge. I will be closer to 59 1/2 in 2018, just in case I need to tap my 401k. My BS bucket is probably 3/4 full so I feel like I can manage another 6 - 8 months. As a 30 year plus employee, I am entitled to 6 weeks vacation and I have Friday's off. We will continue to reevaluate. I am also "practicing" while taking next week off. One thing I have noticed is how quickly the time has passed since this thread was started. I love reading the posts and continuing to learn!
beaglemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:14 AM   #88
Recycles dryer sheets

We're now in class of 2016! So, if there is a list, you can cross our name off.
OrcasIslandBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:06 PM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcasIslandBound View Post
We're now in class of 2016! So, if there is a list, you can cross our name off.
Congrats!
Lucantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:51 AM   #90
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks Lucantes!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
OrcasIslandBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 11:00 PM   #91
Recycles dryer sheets

Adding our name to the Class of 2017. Plan to sell our business by June 2017 as our DD finishes her undergraduate degree in engineering.
Rickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:30 AM   #92
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm joining the Class of 2017 after flunking out of the 2015 class. I plan to retire in September 2017 when I turn 62. This will bump up my pension significantly. Since I have a good bit of annual leave accumulated, I'll be taking one day a week off in 2016 and hope to work part-time in 2017.

Note: I was eligible to retire in 2015 but got cold feet after some unexpected expenses cropped up. Once I retire, going back to work at the same salary is not an option.
ABQ2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:42 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
I'm joining the Class of 2017 after flunking out of the 2015 class. I plan to retire in September 2017 when I turn 62. This will bump up my pension significantly. Since I have a good bit of annual leave accumulated, I'll be taking one day a week off in 2016 and hope to work part-time in 2017.
Explain your fail? I took off 8 months in 2015. Went back for OMY (X2 or 3) because of DW and my idle mind. $ situation is fine. Just the mental idleness was driving me crazy. Was busy with hobbies but glad to have the mental stimulation back. Good luck for 2017. I'm thinking max 401K in first 3 or 4 months of 2018 then call it quits in May of 2018 at 52.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Barely 2017
Old 01-02-2016, 08:22 AM   #94
Confused about dryer sheets

Barely 2017

Moved the Commencement date up a month to Jan 6, 2017 - barely into the new year. Employer said just work through the first Friday pay period in the New Year and qualify for the HSA company contribution, Christmas Bonus; no need to reach the birthday in February. So, it's booked

Going to hold off taking SS until 68 - not so much for the extra payout, rather to mitigate higher tax liability based on projected 401K funds after age 70.

Hope our investments, and yours too!, do well in 2016.
rrufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:02 PM   #95
Recycles dryer sheets

Happy New Year! Our date is 6/1/17 at which point we will both be 55. I can now say we are retiring next year! Our count down seems to have really sped up since the 2 year point this last summer. Now the months are starting to fly by and we have a lot to do over the next year in preparation for selling our big house and downsizing. We already purchased a smaller place in our chosen post fire locale so we are busy with that as well. I am feeling excited and a little overwhelmed as we continue to get all of our ducks in a row!
Old 01-11-2016, 01:15 PM   #96
Dryer sheet aficionado

Moved date forward to 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billk400 View Post
Based on current value of my accounts and expected additions over the next 3 years I am targeting to go to a flexible / PT consulting position. I will be 62 and will be a position to not have to work, but would prefer to continue working in a flexible / PT arrangement (as an independent consultant).

I realize if there is a big downturn in the next few years I will have to readjust somewhat, but nice to know I have the option and flexibility. Not that I am counting, but only 34 more months!
1/2016 UPDATE: today I decided to move forward my date to end of May 2016. Had my plan reviewed by a fee only planner I use occasionally to review my plan / numbers and all is good for getting out at the end of May. Job is progressively getting more frustrating so its off I go!
Billk400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:36 PM   #97

August 2017! End of lease a month before the wife's pension kicks in. Will spend the last month with family before jetting back to Mexico.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
dixonge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:09 AM   #98
Recycles dryer sheets

Add me to the prestigious group. I'm now looking at May 2017.

I'll take that summer off, try to get back in shape (I'm out of but my side job which I love is as an adjunct professor..so I'll do that starting in the Fall.
Alvin Tostig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 02:31 PM   #99

My current target is Independence Day 2017. We'll see if I make it all the way.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:56 PM   #100
Recycles dryer sheets

Projected date March 15, 2017 for me. OMY turned into OMY X 2 1/4. I'll be 56.

Tags
2017, class, europe, switzerland