Class of 2017

I've been itching to start a Class of 2017 thread, but was holding off until 2016 and 2015 had established theirs.

Proud of you - think of me as the freshman looking up to the seniors....

CUinFL - class of 2020

I used to do something similar, I would calculate the percentage of the time I had left. # remaining months / (33 years * 12 months)

Your way is more creative.
Agree. I love the clock/calendar idea. My lame methods are more percentage based too.

My target is 1/2/2018, right behind you guys. I started a thread, but seems like I have no classmates yet.

Hope to be part of 2017

The end/beginning draws near. Rather than lurking I thought I would throw my name in the pot for 2017. Currently 54 and DW is 56. Firecalc says 2015 at 100% and 2014 at 97.1%. Fidelity says 2017. The pucker factor says 2018. I have really enjoyed this website and like the great support that you all give to each other.

Although my retirement will not be official till Dec. 31, 2017 I still think that puts me in this class. Waiting and counting down.

Put me down for middle of February, 2017. Will use the fresh vacation to carry me through Q1 bonus eligibility. Hey, this thread's a year old, so look how fast the time flies, right?

Changing my mind. Not sure if I will be able to change the mind of my Dear DW, but looking more realistically at what we spend and putting that into every calculator known to man I think that I am leaving the Class of 2017 and moving (please, please, please) to the Class of 2015. April 2015 is the goal.

Target date for ER is the 1st of October 2017 for both my wife and I. We will both be 50 (May and Feb. 2017 respectively) and are currently on track to meet our FIRE goals established many years ago when we started working overseas (12 and 17 years ago for the same company). I count the money, she counts the days and months!
:LOL:

My current plan is January 10, 2017. Company has a subsidized medical benefit and cost of living adjustment to pension at 62, if those change my plans will change.

Knocking on Wood

Running numbers through every calc and 100% success rate says (knocking on wood) FIRE June, 2017, age 59-1/2. DW (lucky duck), June 2016. Plans include retiring overseas.

I'm joining the class of 2017. 42 months and counting. It's like sitting at a stoplight and revving your car engine. I'm going to be obsessed when the time gets closer. I remember many years ago, we were going canoeing in the Minnesota Boundary Waters. The closer we got to the lakes, the faster I was driving. My DW had to slow me down. I assume heading toward retirement will be the same kind of experience.

I'm planning 2017 as my class year. April 3 to be exact. So when I first started counting down I was around 65 months and now it's 38 months. It goes very fast and really makes you see why you have to have a plan and be willing to make changes along the way. I will be 55 and will be retiring after 25 yrs working for the city that I live in. I knew the first day I started I would have my 25 yrs in the same week I turn 55. It was a plan set in stone for me. I have worked very hard toward my goal. Now 38 months away from that goal. I don't really see myself as a " short timer" yet. Most of the guys that have retired in the past started feeling that way with 3 yrs to go. Good luck to all my fellow class of 2017. Hope it all works out for all of us!

Have been furiously running numbers in FIRECALC and other calculators plus my own model ... and I think DW and I are in for class of 2017. I will be 50 then and our kids will both be off to college, so I'm thinking we are on track for that based on all of the numbers. Currently at about $3.5 in NW heavily in equities and no debt - so almost there ...

If Corp employer has a massive run in the market, is sold, or if we have a couple more years like '13 in the markets (my cash inv return > my salary+bonus) we may be out sooner.

Would possibly be looking at '15 or '16 -- but we have high costs of living (SoCal is great, but housing and taxes are HIGH!).

Last edited:
I plan to retire in 2016, plus or minus 1 year. But posts in these forums are scaring me to work even longer despite, deep down inside, I feel that I have enough already for FI. All the talks of 2% WR, having enough to last 40 - 50 years with long term care expenses, spiking inflation, SS changing rules (or going bust), unexpected calamity, ... What little confidence in FIRE before joining this forum has been evaporating. Sigh.

Hi, I am new to the site, class of 2017, May 31 to be precise.

Really trying to figure out FIRE, it is like drinking from a fire hose. .

I think my first two steps are figuring out my annual spend, we live so simply I don't know what we spend. Second is moving investments into a stable retirement structure- whatever that is.

Currently at 1.3M in vanguard 401K, also eligible for $10K month guaranteed pension in 3 years- that keeps me going to work, no debt, another $250k in various investments. Stay at home wife. 2 grown kids almost completely launched. Only one living parent, my mom, she is healthy, independent and financially good shape.

Plenty to do when I retire, that won't be an issue.

Thanks!

It has been almost two years since my first post on this thread-time flies. We are still planning on RE in 2017, but my wife's variable income has dropped this year. This may push a March 31 target date to later in the year. We will see how the glide path looks in another year.

Another member of the class of 2017.

Tentatively looking at September, 2017. That's when I'm eligible for retirement medical coverage. We'll see. The "Plan" as DW refers the the spreadsheet I obsess over (And have obsessed over since about 2001) says we'll be OK.

PS. I showed the "Plan" to a professor at St Joseph's Business school in Philadelphia to see if he had any ideas about improving the modelling I had set up. He shook his head and said I was already working on more advanced modelling then his MBA class covers. I felt pretty good.

On track for Feb 2017. All projections continue to yield $$ equal to full employment, without touching SS until after 66. Starting career after grad school, it seemed so funny for fellow employees to constantly talk about retirement when they had 4-5 years yet to go. Well, now THAT is fully understood! It is such a rush to be soooo close!
Hey, Class of 2017 let's share the excitement, and need to plan responsibly, together.

Current plan is for 3/31/17

Based on current value of my accounts and expected additions over the next 3 years I am targeting to go to a flexible / PT consulting position. I will be 62 and will be a position to not have to work, but would prefer to continue working in a flexible / PT arrangement (as an independent consultant).

I realize if there is a big downturn in the next few years I will have to readjust somewhat, but nice to know I have the option and flexibility. Not that I am counting, but only 34 more months!

Virtual line in the sand

I'm at 4% WR right now, so according to some I could FIRE right now. Don't think I will. Might semi-FIRE.

Instead, I'm drawing a line in the sand. Barring arrival of children (have none, no DW either) I will FIRE 28/08/2017 at the latest, on my 37th birthday.

Three more years, during which I hope to reach $1M USD (am at $820k right now), adjusted for inflation. Should result in a 3.3% WR by then.

I'll have none of the OMY non-sense anymore after that, and take a year of traveling to start with.

July 1, 2017

We had originally planned to retire in January 2016 but a local election gave us a new boss. We decided to stick it out another 18 months to boost our savings and our pensions. We LBYM in a fairly low cost area. We should be okay on $50,000 a year in Colo pension and slightly over $100,000 in savings as we live on that now when you subtract the $27,000 we save annually.;) We will be 50 and 51

Last edited:
Today starts the 60 month countdown to the end of wo*k, June 30, 2017. I've been on a countdown before; but had to re-jigger things due to the financial meltdown of a few years back and a chance to live in Europe (Switzerland) by taking a j*b which required a degree of commitment. It's not as early as I'd like; but it's still a bit before 62!

Any fellow members of this cohort?

Well, having started this thread I thought I should report back in to say that my situation has changed at the j*b and I was able to shorten my sentence by two full years! So, departing the class of 2017 and entering 2015 if they will have me. The next twelve months cannot be over soon enough!

-BB

Congratulations! I am still targeting October 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom