Join Early Retirement Today

Class of 2017
Old 07-01-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Class of 2017

Today starts the 60 month countdown to the end of wo*k, June 30, 2017. I've been on a countdown before; but had to re-jigger things due to the financial meltdown of a few years back and a chance to live in Europe (Switzerland) by taking a j*b which required a degree of commitment. It's not as early as I'd like; but it's still a bit before 62!

Any fellow members of this cohort?
Bryan Barnfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Yay! Thank you, Bryan Barnfellow. I've been itching to start a Class of 2017 thread, but was holding off until 2016 and 2015 had established theirs.

My plan is to have my last workday on Hallowe'en of 2017. As for counting down, I have an app for that, which I pull out and look at when work is particularly rough. My countdown is to my 55th birthday, since that is when I am eligible for employer-paid (capped) retiree benefits--assuming they are still being offered. (Given my state's budget meltdown and its effect on my employer's revenue, that's not a given.)

I am wondering if my level of elation will taper off, or if it will keep ramping up as the days tick by. I've been finding myself murmuring to myself (with a grin), "After this one, there will only be five more budget development cycles!" "After this one, there will only be five more year-end/new-year rollovers!"
Indigo Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Countdown
Old 07-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #3

Countdown

Hello Indigo,

Those classes ('15 and '16) are established according to my search. So, we were next! Glad to have a partner in this countdown. BTW, I also use an app (on the iPad) called Big Day Lite (free). It's counting backward now by day -- so today is 1,825.

I know what you mean about milestones -- mine include, "only 5 more sets of staff evaluations", "5 more holiday parties", and, "only 4 more starts of a new fiscal year (July 1, or as I call it, 'what have you done for me lately day').

I was supposed to stop at 55 (but had to add six years to shore up the finances, which are in very good shape now).
Bryan Barnfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
Administrator

It is never too early to start planning.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

2017 is my most likely class at this time.

Could be sooner, or could hit "one more year syndrome," but looking like June 2017 for me. Just under 5 years to go. I bet it'll fly by.
arebelspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #6

I'm planning to be a member of this class. Not sure I want to start a count down yet. Might be a little early and distracting. It's hard enough to contemplate 5 years being left. I'll be 55 in 2017. That's my trigger point assuming the savings meet expectations.

Today is Monday. First day back at w*rk after a week and a half vacation. I like to look at my vacations as ER practice. And I love to practice. Makes this Monday a downer. But it does confirm that ER will be all the more wonderful when there is no Monday getting back to the office.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:01 AM   #7
Confused about dryer sheets

2017 is my current Plan B (with 2015 being Plan A), but i likely will move it to Plan A. It is the year I turn 55, but I was hoping to ER early in the year, well before the birthday. It almost seems weird to contemplate it.
RossW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:15 PM   #8
Confused about dryer sheets

2017 is it for me too. Just turned 55, feels good to say only 5 more years to go. Working at GE Aviation 33 1/2 yrs and counting. If I'm really lucky I might be able to get out in 2015 if they offer an early out next contract. I might have enough yrs, & depends on how many slots available. Past couple of contracts it's been 400. Had to have 39 yrs, first time and last contract it was 37 yrs so in 2015 I'm hoping it will be 35/36 yrs so I will be in the mix. They want to get rid of us "old" timers with legacy benefits.

I don't have any big retirement dreams, I just want to stay home and relax with my two dogs.
SinCityGrrrl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #9
Dryer sheet wannabe

I've been lurking for a few months and thought I would finally post. I am planning to be a member of this class too! DH is already semi-retired, collecting a pension and w*rking part-time at a job which will give him another small pension in 2017. In 2015, I plan to go part-time to ease out of the office and make the transition easier for my replacement. FIREcalc says 100% so I am excited! We even have the health care issue worked out. I plan to spend more time with my two dogs too as well as pursuing hobbies I don't have much time to do now.
beaglemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:25 PM   #10

Welcome beaglemom!

I have 2017 set in my sights as well. I'll be 60 then, and DH will be 65 and my employer subsidized retiree medical (typing with fingers crossed) will be much cheaper as he'll be on Medicare then. I've run every scenario I know to run, but am breaking down & paying a NAFPA advisor to give me the cold hard facts. I haven't quite copied every piece of paper from my filing cabinet yet, but our appointment isn't until October 20th, so I have a little more time.

So for now, I'm hoping to be included in this esteemed group.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #11

The USN tells me I am retirement-eligible in 2017. Will probably need to work a little bit after taking off the uniform, though - 3 girls who will 14, 12, and 9 at that time, and will probably like to keep eating and go to college.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:20 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I orginally planned for my wife and I to retire in 2016, but April 2017 (after bonuses are paid) seems more reasonable. We will be 45 then, with 15 and 13 year old daughters. Directing most cash flow to after-tax accounts, and funding 401k's to the reach maximum employer matches.
Omalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:50 PM   #13

So nice to see fellow travelers on the road to 2017. In my case June 30. My last major project ends then as does my w* rk.

BB
Old 09-02-2012, 09:43 AM   #14
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks for the welcome MelBay. Be sure to let us know what the NAFPA advisor says!
Old 10-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #15

Well,, I had my meeting today. First off, I was very impressed with the NAPFA advisor's presentation. I learned a great deal, more than I expected actually. She covered it all: budget, insurance coverage, estate plan, taxes, tax planning, investments, asset allocation, wow... 2.5 hours of us and our money.....

She advised me to leave our 401(k)'s AA alone for now due to what she thinks will be severe market volatility until at least the election. She did advise me to put all my future 401(k) contributions and employer match into the Vanguard Wellington Fund, which is luckily one of my options. She also advised us to open Roth 401(k)'s, which we haven't done. My bad!

It's still sinking in. Not sure I get to stay in the class of 2017. At best case, I'll probably move to the class of 2018. That's the year DH turns 65, and getting him in Medicare will be critical to the rest of the plan.

We don't have quite enough saved, so if anyone has a couple extra hundred thousand dollars they'd like to send us, let me know.

We're saving like mad for the next few years, and need to discuss our budget going forward. We're debt free, so that helps, and our insurance is also what she would have recommended.

She's also a CPA, and offers a very reasonable rate for doing her retiree planning clients' taxes. I'm probably going to do that, and use her planning services every few years for tweaking and checking on our plan.

I'm very pleased, and am glad to have her input. I'm just the type that needs a second opinion on big stuff like this.

So, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it!
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #16
Dryer sheet wannabe

MelBay,

Just checked my powerball numbers and didn't win so can't help out with the couple hundred thousand Not much difference between 2017 and 2018 and you will still FIRE with confidence that your plan will work!
Old 03-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Just checking in. I'm at 1700 days to go (well, 1701, but that's close enough). Work is the usual stressball, but it helps to have an end date in sight. I'm working hard to keep my attitude and attention focused, though I am really just anxious to begin my "lady of leisure" life.

Latest things I'm trying, in my preparation for retirement, is kicking caffeine (at least from beverages), to see if that helps with the work-related stress, and focusing on using my commute to MY benefit--which means getting off the train one station early and riding my bike the extra miles.

Just have to keep slogging through the field of mud, looking at the grassy meadow beyond.
Indigo Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #18
Dryer sheet aficionado

I cant tell you all the preparatory things i did years ahead of retiring. From thinking of new hobbies to stocking up on gardening clothes, books, laptops, even going so far as buying a dozen or so different dinner plates for variety. Nevertheless i think now that the prep helped me see more clearly how my life could change, what i might do with my time, basically give me more eagerness and confidence to leave my good job behind knowing that a "funner" life was waiting.
missedearly62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaglemom View Post
I've been lurking for a few months and thought I would finally post. I am planning to be a member of this class too! DH is already semi-retired, collecting a pension and w*rking part-time at a job which will give him another small pension in 2017. In 2015, I plan to go part-time to ease out of the office and make the transition easier for my replacement. FIREcalc says 100% so I am excited! We even have the health care issue worked out. I plan to spend more time with my two dogs too as well as pursuing hobbies I don't have much time to do now.
Hi, and welcome to the board, Beaglemom, from another beagle mom.

I have 3. They love having DH and me home every day so that they get out more often. That means we get more exercise, too.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:15 PM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There was the worlds cutest beagle in the wedding I just officiated. He even had a little tuxedo. Love me some beagles!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2017, class, europe, switzerland