Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-28-2017, 09:48 PM   #181
Recycles dryer sheets

Met with my tax guy yesterday. He also is my pseudo financial advisor. He gave me the thumbs up to FIRE anytime after I get my annual bonus from Megacorp in March 2018. I am still a bit queasy about pulling the trigger. I am 49 and DW is 48. I will probably keep w*rking until I get fed up one day and tell my boss I am done. It will probably be April 1st! But, I will be a bit more cautious for now and say add me to the list for November and call it my 50th birthday present....
Erbragg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2017, 12:17 PM   #182
Recycles dryer sheets

You can add me to the list for 2018 too. The plan is for July but is based on the completion of one final large capital project. If it goes well it could be sooner. DW and I will both be 57. I'm still in that uneasy mode though. One day I feel completely sure we'll be fine, the next I wake up at 2 am and lay there and worry if we are REALLY ready. Taxes, insurance, what if this, what if that... My advisor said I could go this year but if I wait until July or so I will raise my IRA total from $1.3 to about $2.0 MM. I will still have a large piece of a privately held company stock that will buy back over 10 years so that will continue to infuse money to the IRA. So unless it tanks terribly, or the market goes down the drain, we should be solid. July seems so far away, sigh.
68bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:56 PM   #183
Dryer sheet wannabe

Put me on the list too. Told my group that I was out on my 60th BD which is July 13th. In my mind I came up with three levels of monthly income. Needs, wants and dreams. I'm between wants and dreams right now so should be good to go barring any major downturn.
mrc758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 02:30 PM   #184
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I joined this forum back in June, the wife and I targeted June 2019 (age 60). Since then though, we have gotten pretty good (but still looking to improve) at cutting spending and increasing savings.

As a result of that and other factors though, I am "officially" going to pull myself into 2018. I don't have a specific date, but sooner is better.

We recently fired our "wealth mgmt advisor" and transferred everything to Vanguard. Because the $$ we brought in qualified for "flagship" services, Vanguard is providing some complimentary advisor services.

Between running FIREcalc scenarios and after conferring with the advisor, I will have a good idea of what date in 2018 to make it official.

(I'm so excited! )
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 03:15 PM   #185
Recycles dryer sheets

My resignation has been submitted!

My last day will be 1/4/18 at the age of 57.

While I haven't gotten it down to the exact number of days of work (holidays, vacation, sick to use - I have a medical procedure scheduled), it's about 8-10.

oldphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 03:41 PM   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldphd View Post
My resignation has been submitted!

My last day will be 1/4/18 at the age of 57.
Woo hoo! Way to go. Looks like you will be the first grad of 2018.

Well done!
Updated 2018 list
Old 12-11-2017, 03:31 AM   #187

Updated 2018 list

Tried to update this, hope I added correctly. Congrats to those leaving so soon in January!

Grumpyretirement
trapperjohn
datuck
Snoopy (55)
Lovetoski (46)
Coolrich59 (59)

January
chief04010 1/2
JeffinSeattle 1/2
Boilerman 1/2 (57)
OldPhd 1/4

February

March
Nunyaa
elainejtm

April
Seaborne (39)
whatnot 4/1
Mr. and Mrs. Honeyfill 4/2
ears20 (57)
Poppydog 4/30

May
Joe Wras 5/1 (55)
Mcbraemer (63.5)
SumDay 5/31

June
Pullin 6/1
GaryT 6/1
Bigdawg
Poppydog 6/29 (63/60)

July
Dan4495 (60)
68Bucks
MRC758 7/13

August
Pellice 8/1 (62)

September

October
FIREmenow
RoyDornoch (60)
Ed B. 10/31

November
Erbragg1 11/1

December
Cnocmmz
tmitchell (50
WestUniversity (60)
Pellice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:09 AM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellice View Post
Tried to update this, hope I added correctly. Congrats to those leaving so soon in January!

Grumpyretirement
trapperjohn
datuck
Snoopy (55)
Lovetoski (46)
Coolrich59 (59)
You can add me to January. I was considering the end of June, but my client unwittingly helped me out.

This client has been pretty frustrating, and I've been looking forward to ending my engagement. It was supposed to end in December, but, not surprisingly, the client is not prepared and asked me to extend to the end of January. I agreed.

Last week, they said they were still not ready and asked me to extend for an "indeterminate" period. Before I knew what was happening, I heard myself say: "Sorry, I am done at the end of January. I am retiring."
Old 12-11-2017, 02:33 PM   #189
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRich59 View Post
You can add me to January. I was considering the end of June, but my client unwittingly helped me out.

This client has been pretty frustrating, and I've been looking forward to ending my engagement. It was supposed to end in December, but, not surprisingly, the client is not prepared and asked me to extend to the end of January. I agreed.

Last week, they said they were still not ready and asked me to extend for an "indeterminate" period. Before I knew what was happening, I heard myself say: "Sorry, I am done at the end of January. I am retiring."
That had to feel great!

Retired June 1, 2018

RE AA 65/35
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:42 PM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed B View Post
That had to feel great!
I wish I'd been more prepared for it but, regardless, it was fantastic.

The best part so far has been my attitude at w@rk. I was worried that the stress and frustration would 'boil over' and I'd so or say something I'd regret. But, in fact, it's been the opposite:

I told you that your plan is ill advised and may end up costing $$ later, but you're going to do it anyway? Have at it!

Another contract that's "urgent" (i.e., there's no time to review it?). No problem - just sign it 'as is'!
Old 12-13-2017, 12:03 PM   #191
Recycles dryer sheets

Added myself to the group. I was in the 2016 group but there were some good changes at work so I did my OMY. Then in 2017 someone left our group and I agreed to stay on another year (OMY#2). This time I rented a house in a warm climate for January/February and prepaid it so I have a strong motivation to leave. I was going to make my last day 1/3/18 but they asked if I could please stay and do more so I agreed to 1/10 as my last day. I told them they are on their own after 1/10 as I will be out of the country for 5 weeks with no cell phone or internet.

Grumpyretirement
trapperjohn
datuck
Snoopy (55)
Lovetoski (46)
Coolrich59 (59)

January
chief04010 1/2
JeffinSeattle 1/2
Boilerman 1/2 (57)
OldPhd 1/4
ikubak 1/10 (55)

February

March
Nunyaa
elainejtm

April
Seaborne (39)
whatnot 4/1
ears20 (57)
Poppydog 4/30

May
Joe Wras 5/1 (55)
Mcbraemer (63.5)
SumDay 5/31

June
Pullin 6/1
GaryT 6/1
Bigdawg
Poppydog 6/29 (63/60)

July
Dan4495 (60)
68Bucks
MRC758 7/13

August
Pellice 8/1 (62)

September

October
FIREmenow
RoyDornoch (60)
Ed B. 10/31

November
Erbragg1 11/1

December
Cnocmmz
tmitchell (50
WestUniversity (60)
Old 12-13-2017, 02:13 PM   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikubak View Post
Added myself to the group.
Congratulations!
Old 12-14-2017, 04:28 AM   #193
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRich59 View Post

Brilliant, I love this story!
poppydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 05:12 PM   #194

Met one more time today with my financial adviser. She told me I was good to go next year in August or even a month earlier! And that I had "room to spend a bit more" than I had projected in my retirement budget. It made me feel that the 3rd act is beginning now! In a way it is. I am currently working on putting together a fall Central American eco-trip with a bit more luxury than most of my trips. I am telling my nieces that I will be able to do a proper Christmas visit next year because I will have so much flexibility.
2018 is almost here, fellow class members, and I am looking forward to hearing all your details and preparations and plans.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:22 AM   #195
Recycles dryer sheets

That's great news Pellice. DW and me have been planning for some years to retire at the same time, at the end of June 2018. We were discussing this a couple of weeks ago and decided, hey - we've gone way past our financial target so what are we hanging about for? So, we've advanced our plans by a couple of months and so will now retire at the end of April. We both have to give three month's notice to our respective employers, and so will do so after the New Year!

We're from Scotland in the UK - to celebrate we are planning to visit New York at the end of June. We've got Broadway tickets for Hamilton and for the Carole King musical - I can't tell you how excited we are!
Old 12-16-2017, 10:53 AM   #196

Poppydog, sounds like a plan! Are you staying for July 4? That can be ... crowded. But when is NYC not?
I know you are not coming to NY to experience Scotland, but just in case you get homesick, the nearby NJ town of Kearny was the landing place for many Scots immigrants, and you can compare cuisine at Argyle Restaurant :-)

How about you January people? Are your plans coalescing?
Old 12-16-2017, 03:19 PM   #197
Recycles dryer sheets

We are actually flying home on the 4th. We've been in Orlando before on Independence Day so we kind of know what it means to our American friends!

DW doesn't know yet, but I've booked us business class flights to/from JFK from Glasgow via London with Briish Airways, and we're staying at a swanky Marriott on the south edge of central park. We've been to the USA a few times before (Florida, LV, California) but never to the big apple. Friends tell us that it's amazing.

June sees DW's 60th birthday, and our 10th wedding anniversary, and of course we're celebrating our recent retirement. I'm saving hard to take her to Tiffany's on 5th Avenue for a special gift! Hell, I might be broke after that!
Old 12-18-2017, 07:33 PM   #198
Recycles dryer sheets

Added myself to April 2018. Moved from Dec 2017.

Grumpyretirement
trapperjohn
datuck
Snoopy (55)
Lovetoski (46)
Coolrich59 (59)

January
chief04010 1/2
JeffinSeattle 1/2
Boilerman 1/2 (57)
OldPhd 1/4
ikubak 1/10 (55)

February

March
Nunyaa
elainejtm

April
Seaborne (39)
whatnot 4/1
ears20 (57)
Poppydog 4/30
Tdv2 4/30 (54)

May
Joe Wras 5/1 (55)
Mcbraemer (63.5)
SumDay 5/31

June
Pullin 6/1
GaryT 6/1
Bigdawg
Poppydog 6/29 (63/60)

July
Dan4495 (60)
68Bucks
MRC758 7/13

August
Pellice 8/1 (62)

September

October
FIREmenow
RoyDornoch (60)
Ed B. 10/31

November
Erbragg1 11/1

December
Cnocmmz
tmitchell (50
WestUniversity (60)
tdv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 12:26 AM   #199
Dryer sheet wannabe

Just added myself to April. Just got done sending the request into HR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdv2 View Post

Grumpyretirement
trapperjohn
datuck
Snoopy (55)
Lovetoski (46)
Coolrich59 (59)

January
chief04010 1/2
JeffinSeattle 1/2
Boilerman 1/2 (57)
OldPhd 1/4
ikubak 1/10 (55)

February

March
Nunyaa
elainejtm

April
Seaborne (39)
whatnot 4/1
ears20 (57)
Poppydog 4/30
Tdv2 4/30 (54)
tmm2good 4/4 (58)

May
Joe Wras 5/1 (55)
Mcbraemer (63.5)
SumDay 5/31

June
Pullin 6/1
GaryT 6/1
Bigdawg
Poppydog 6/29 (63/60)

July
Dan4495 (60)
68Bucks
MRC758 7/13

August
Pellice 8/1 (62)

September

October
FIREmenow
RoyDornoch (60)
Ed B. 10/31

November
Erbragg1 11/1

December
Cnocmmz
tmitchell (50
WestUniversity (60)
tmm2good is offline   Reply With Quote
Finish Line In Sight! 2018 just around the corner.
Old 12-29-2017, 05:31 AM   #200
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Finish Line In Sight! 2018 just around the corner.

Here we are, friends. Only 3 days to 2018. Are you ready to retire?

Each year I spend a little time summarizing where I am, compared to when I started this thread 5 years ago.

In summary: 2017 was a brutal year. I am so ready to retire. It is a slight miracle that I didn't get terminated from my j*b. Seriously. I almost said a few ugly things that could have lead there.

Megacorp continues to just squeeze, squeeze, squeeze. There's no shame at all in their treatment of US based tech workers. They hold the threat of layoffs and offshoring over our heads on a constant basis. It has become a tech "sweatshop." Meanwhile, upper management publicly says "Don't work 80 weeks, have fun" and then privately the word gets to front line management to work us 80 hours. It is insanity! The final straw for me was having everyone work on Thanksgiving day (or strongly suggesting to do so). Most of my team did so, as they fear for their jobs. This is not a critical service. It is not a hospital. It is not for a customer problem. It is simply to work, make up time, just as the Saturdays and Sundays are. All this with no compensation.

Anyway, I could go on, but basically I really wanted to make it to 2018 so I can access my 401k at age 55. Our plan allows this. It looks like I am going to make it.

The sad thing is that the kids are Megacorp have caught wind of this and are all jumping ship. I think the winds of change may be finally getting to upper management as they see their precious young employees bail, but I'll be gone before they change their behavior.

Anyway, we are ready. The plan still is somewhere around May 1. We're slowly getting the word out to friends and family, and surprisingly, most have been like: "It's about time you retire!" Nice.

I've run the numbers and even if the stock market takes a 30% hit, we're fine. We plan on mostly drawing from cash savings and dividends these first few years. The plan is for me to get on DW's medical. I'll have to quit first in order to make that happen. It will cost, but not as much as my retiree medical.

So, hold on you 2018ers, our time is here. Let's rock!
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote