Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-05-2018, 06:47 AM   #301
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestUniversity View Post
Same thing here. I have reworked my numbers so many times I know that they are solid. Still however there is that part of me saying OMG this is for real. And you are so much closer than I am. I can’t imagine what you must be going through...[emoji15]
It will work out. When you have done your homework, it works.
Hope you have a great retirement.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2018, 09:18 AM   #302
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd852 View Post
Make sure you’ve downloaded any contacts you want to keep into your private address book.

Are there any emails or documents that you’d rather not have anyone see after you go? Delete now.

Are there any emails or documents that might conceivably be useful to you later? Thumb drive (yeah I know they aren’t really your property but...)

Are there any project loose ends that could spur an unwanted phone call later? Do a handover document while you’re still getting paid.

Say goodbye privately to people whom you like but you won’t want to see again so you don’t feel like there’s unfinished business.

Go through your pockets for any unclaimed expense receipts - you have only one last shot at reimbursement.

Awesome, some gems in there! Thanks!!
green night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:20 AM   #303
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm2good View Post
My DW gave her notice the other day, 4 more weeks for her,I just gave my notice as well, 9 more weekend overnight shifts for me. Wow, emotions have been all over the place, but really looking forward to walking out the door for the last time! New RV is on order and should be arriving about the time I am done with w*rk. We have campground reservations for pretty much all summer already !

Finally... My last day was Friday 3/2/2018. This is my first Monday will very little stress and no driving; however I didn't sleep well last night; thinking about work. Hope that stops soon.
Hopefully, the next month will go fast for my DH (tmm2good). Getting exciting about traveling in our new RV
elainejtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:10 PM   #304
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I ER'd just over a month ago. I wrote this last night, but in keeping with my rule about not posting after having imbibed, I decided to wait until today to post it.

I forgot it was Sunday night!

It's 1:00am and I'm sitting here listening to some great jazz (right now "So What" by Miles Davis).

Suddenly, I thought: it's getting kind of late, do I need to be up for anything tomorrow? In fact, what day is it tomorrow? Oh yeah, it's Monday.

Wait a minute. If tomorrow is Monday that means right now its Sunday night.

It's. Sunday. Night.

It's Sunday night and I don't have that crushing, soul-deadening, sinking feeling in my chest that I used to have every Sunday night for years.

Wow. What a great feeling to not have that feeling!

I'm retired!!
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:21 PM   #305
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRich59 View Post
I ER'd just over a month ago. I wrote this last night, but in keeping with my rule about not posting after having imbibed, I decided to wait until today to post it.

It's 1:00am and I'm sitting here listening to some great jazz (right now "So What" by Miles Davis).

Suddenly, I thought: it's getting kind of late, do I need to be up for anything tomorrow? In fact, what day is it tomorrow? Oh yeah, it's Monday.

It's. Sunday. Night.

It's Sunday night and I don't have that crushing, soul-deadening, sinking feeling in my chest that I used to have every Sunday night for years.

I'm retired!!

Sounds fantastic! I only have 298 days before I can say the same thing... [emoji106]
Old 03-05-2018, 01:41 PM   #306
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRich59 View Post

It's. Sunday. Night.

I'm retired!!
+1 see my sig line.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:24 PM   #307
Give me a forum ...

Now THAT'S motivation! Yesterday, about 9PM, DW and I started bitching to each other about the day coming up called "Monday."

84 days...
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:27 AM   #308

Well, my life suddenly flipped last week. Work is offering a voluntary early retirement package. I had planned on working another two years but now think I will be joining the class of 2018. The exit dates are 06/30/2018 to 03/31/2019. Not sure which date could be mine.

I have a meeting with my Financial Planner on 3/19/2018 to discuss my options and best plan. This is going to be interesting.
MessyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:04 AM   #309
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessyGirl View Post
Well, my life suddenly flipped last week. Work is offering a voluntary early retirement package. I had planned on working another two years but now think I will be joining the class of 2018. The exit dates are 06/30/2018 to 03/31/2019. Not sure which date could be mine.

I have a meeting with my Financial Planner on 3/19/2018 to discuss my options and best plan. This is going to be interesting.
Best of luck and I hope you get good news from your financial planner.

I had to pass on one two years ago. The stars just didn't align for me at that time.

Retired June 1, 2018

RE AA 65/35
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:44 AM   #310

Quote:
This is going to be interesting.
Definitely.

When we fired our former "planner" and had a review done by a CFP late last year, he asked what our goals were.

I told him we had only one goal: to be able to retire asap.

Things got very interesting at that point.
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:56 AM   #311
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Congrats! I’d love to get this type of news.

I’d guess that if you’re close enough to have targeted two years from now such a package would put you over the top, especially with the 3/19 date. Good idea to vet it with your CFP; let us know how it turns out for you. Good luck!
ears20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:19 AM   #312

Quote:
Originally Posted by ears20 View Post
Congrats! I’d love to get this type of news.

I’d guess that if you’re close enough to have targeted two years from now such a package would put you over the top, especially with the 3/19 date. Good idea to vet it with your CFP; let us know how it turns out for you. Good luck!

Also you can run your numbers through FIRECALC in the meantime to get an idea where you stand...
Old 03-06-2018, 09:50 AM   #313
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestUniversity View Post
Also you can run your numbers through FIRECALC in the meantime to get an idea where you stand...

I figured for the folks here that almost goes without saying - [emoji41]
Old 03-06-2018, 09:52 AM   #314

After a management change last year, I spoke to planner then. He told me I was good to go then if I really needed to. I'm guessing this year looks even better. The big hang up was insurance. This package will give me two years coverage at my current cost. I will still have a few years to fund it on my own but every little bit helps.

I just want to have the conversation with him first before making my final decision. I never saw this coming. (Doing the happy dance).
Old 03-06-2018, 10:15 AM   #315

Quote:
I figured for the folks here that almost goes without saying - [emoji41]

Great. Did not want to assume...[emoji106]
Old 03-06-2018, 10:17 AM   #316
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
After a management change last year, I spoke to planner then. He told me I was good to go then if I really needed to. I'm guessing this year looks even better. The big hang up was insurance. This package will give me two years coverage at my current cost. I will still have a few years to fund it on my own but every little bit helps.

I just want to have the conversation with him first before making my final decision. I never saw this coming. (Doing the happy dance).

How close are you to Medicare eligibility? I would think you’d be able to stay on COBRA for another 18 months after the two years are up. Not the cheapest, but guaranteed access.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:13 AM   #317

Quote:
How close are you to Medicare eligibility? I would think you’d be able to stay on COBRA for another 18 months after the two years are up. Not the cheapest, but guaranteed access.
I just turned 60 last month. I asked that question. Hoping that I could extend my insurance with Cobra another 18 months after the offered 2 year coverage. Nope. So I will have to figure out what to do for 3 years after the coverage ends. Not impossible, just something else to think about.

I won't know my exit date until after I accept the offer. It is any where from June 30, 2018 to March 31, 2019 depending on the business need. I'm trying to find out in advance, but so far, I am not coming up with a good answer.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:43 AM   #318
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I just turned 60 last month. I asked that question. Hoping that I could extend my insurance with Cobra another 18 months after the offered 2 year coverage. Nope. So I will have to figure out what to do for 3 years after the coverage ends. Not impossible, just something else to think about .

I’ll be in a similar position re: navigating the gap between Megacorp insurance and Medicare. My FP suggested asking the carrier if you can stay on the plan after the prescribed period. Not at all a given that they’ll agree, but he told me that sometimes they do. I’m not counting on it, but I’m going to at least ask the question.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:00 PM   #319

I told my boss last week than I plan to retire sometime this fall. Reiterated what a team player I am and how I wanted to hang around to pull my weight on a big project.

He told me not to tell anyone else, yet. I suspect he may be working on getting me a little something to induce me to not stay and speak my mind every single time I see someone doing something stupid. I'd jump out that window in a second.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Class of 2018
Old 03-10-2018, 06:47 AM   #320
Recycles dryer sheets

Class of 2018

I pulled the ripcord yesterday.

My (tiny) bonus was paid 10 days ago, and my boss got back from his vacation on Thursday, so I scheduled the meeting for yesterday. It was very cordial and professional, without any of the drama I feared.

The final date hasn’t been set yet; he knows my preference for no later than 5/31. He wants to speak with his bosses and see what makes sense for Megacorp, and we’ll make the final call then.

I don’t really feel any different, perhaps because I made the decision so long ago. I think that will change once I start telling people ‘I’m retiring’.

I just hope the chute opens...[emoji39]