Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-04-2015, 05:34 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

TAAHMY syndrome.

Two And A Half More Years

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2015, 11:20 AM   #22

Have reached the point where I do not have to attend any more training to keep up my two project management certifications, which have two year active periods. For the last time I just paid to keep my Project Management Professional (PMP) active for two more years. Also earned enough credits to keep my Program and Project Managers (FAC-P/PM) certification good for two more years.

Old 10-30-2015, 05:59 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Add my name to the list as well.

Had a setback a couple of years ago (employer stock dropped 45% at the annual repricing, can't divest without quitting the firm), so the date that I'd started a rough 1000 day countdown to (4/16) isn't going to happen. At least it addressed somewhat the risk concentration I was worrying about in my investments, but I hope to never lose 6 figures in a single day again.

DW (as of almost 2 years ago now) is ready for me to be footloose, but understands two more years from here; I've told her that I won't have the patience for longer anyway, even if I need to find something fun part-time for a year or two afterwards (sailing work summers or a winter aboard somewhere warm) to let investments stay unmolested for a bit longer.

Plus, as a matter of pride. I'll turn 40 at the end of 2018, and I want to be able to say that I retired before 40 (even though I may sail for wine and extra travel money occasionally). Silly thing, but in some ways expect it to help mentally with what other people have described as the loss of self-respect/definition as a result of not having a job/work to describe themselves. Though I do like using "professional sailor" ("gentleman of leisure" or "wind-swept vagabond" aren't bad either)
Old 01-16-2016, 08:04 AM   #24

Time for my yearly check up.

Down to 2 years left. This last year took a definite turn for the worse at w*rk. I was reading my report from 2 years ago and had to chuckle. I was so upbeat then because of a management change.

Well, we had another management change and it this guy is a tyrant, with some ideas that really make workers' lives miserable. (He is heavily into 24/7 requiring people to keep up with groups spread over the world.)

On top of it, Megacorp has instituted the new fad of slow burn layoffs. The drip-dribble kind of thing that keeps them from reporting to the government, but makes nearly every day a possible lay off day at w*rk. There will be no "packages" under the new thinking. The ones they gave 6 years ago or so were sweet, but those days are gone.

I've got to keep a level head here, but honestly if I was laid off, I would not cry. I only stick with it to sync up with DW in two years. And with the current stock market route, the paycheck gives a feeling of security.

But I tell myself: "Joe, stop that thinking. There will be a day you are retired, and you'll have to deal with correction/bear markets."

And so it goes. Trying to keep positive at work, but it is not easy.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:44 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Time for my yearly check up.

Down to 2 years left....

I've got to keep a level head here, but honestly if I was laid off, I would not cry. I only stick with it to sync up with DW in two years. And with the current stock market route, the paycheck gives a feeling of security....

And so it goes. Trying to keep positive at work, but it is not easy.

Hang in there Joe. If they lay you off at least you will get six months of unemployment albeit at lower pay then you are currently receiving (my guess).

I'm on my OMY x 2. Looking at June of 2018 as my new date. That way I can max out 401K for 2018. Already FI with 2 (me and DW) COLA'd pensions. DW will shoot for 2020 @ 50 and a second COLA'd pension for her.

Good luck Joe.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:40 PM   #26
Dryer sheet wannabe

I am class of 2018 as well - in early January. There is a rule that I must be employed on December 31st to receive a 10% bonus as well as a 15% contribution to my 401K.

There was a time when I thought I would stay until 2024 - just to get my employee discount for the rest of my life. I decided I didn't really need that.

Then, I was thinking 2019 - just to get an extra 30 days off with pay that year. Decided I would really rather be retired
Old 04-26-2016, 04:32 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I think I will be in this class too. I'm 44 shooting for a number and expect to hit it pretty soon. Probably late 2017, and then I will want to max out my 401k one more time before I quit to more or less erase that last years earnings. So probably about this time 2018. I thought i would wait till the company retirement package, but it isn't available till 2020 and I don't know if I will make it that long.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:55 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Bumping up this thread.
How is everyone doing? Still on track to be Class of 2018? Any others joining the Class?
It can't get here soon enough for me!
Old 07-13-2016, 11:06 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

ME!

10/2018 --- on schedule!

We only waiting until then because the admiral will get a $500/mo medical insurance subsidy until 65 years old from her work if she hangs in there until she's 55.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:25 PM   #30

Looking at May 1, 2018 right now. That's the plan.

Megacorp rumors are running wild of a package. If so, it could be earlier.

I'm pretty much going crazy and can't wait either. Hoping for true rumors.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:46 AM   #31

I've had to slip from Jan 6 2018 to Apr 28 2018 but otherwise am still on track for 2018.
Old 07-14-2016, 04:59 PM   #32

I am here as a somewhat Class of 2016 failure. I switched to part-time instead of full retirement in July 2016. My plan now is to work P/T until early 2018, March 1st sounds like a good target date for now, I will be 54.

Over in Class of 2016 thread they had a nice chart that lists everyone and has their retirement date and (age). I will start one with what is known so far, everyone can copy and then fill in your new data as more Class of 2018 members sign up or some 2018 members determine more exact dates. Let's keep this rolling and filling up:

Unspecified Month
Grumpyretirement
Rickt (58)
boilerman (57)
RoyDornoch (60)
trapperjohn
datuck
Snoopy (55)
Lovetoski (46)
seabourne (39)
ugeauxgirl (46)

January
chief04010 1/2
cat wrangler

February

March
Nunyaa
38Chevy454 3/1 (54)

April
whatnot 4/1
timo2 4/28 (65)

May
Joe Wras 5/1 (55)
SumDay 5/31

June
Bigdawg

July

August

September

October
FIREmenow

November

December

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:00 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Unspecified Month
Grumpyretirement
Rickt (58)
boilerman (57)
RoyDornoch (60)
trapperjohn
datuck
Snoopy (55)
Lovetoski (46)
seabourne (39)
ugeauxgirl (46)

January
chief04010 1/2
cat wrangler

February

March
Nunyaa
38Chevy454 3/1 (54)

April
whatnot 4/1
timo2 4/28 (65)

May
Joe Wras 5/1 (55)
SumDay 5/31

June
Bigdawg

July

August

September

October
FIREmenow (58)

November

December
Old 07-14-2016, 07:42 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I am adding myself to 2018 (maybe April 1st). This is my first official guestimate. I still plan to work part time for myself for fun money & a cushion. I consider it a big jump though, retiring from inflexible, full time employment on someone else's terms to having full control over my time. I will miss the health insurance though.

Unspecified Month
Grumpyretirement
Rickt (58)
boilerman (57)
RoyDornoch (60)
trapperjohn
datuck
Snoopy (55)
Lovetoski (46)
seabourne (39)
ugeauxgirl (46)

January
chief04010 1/2
cat wrangler

February

March
Nunyaa
38Chevy454 3/1 (54)

April
whatnot 4/1
Dreaming of Freedom 4/1 (41)
timo2 4/28 (65)

May
Joe Wras 5/1 (55)
SumDay 5/31

June
Bigdawg

July

August

September

October
FIREmenow (58)

November

December
Old 07-16-2016, 10:06 PM   #35
Dryer sheet wannabe

I am joining this class! OMY from the class of 2017. My date is 5/31/18. It will be here soon!
Old 07-16-2016, 10:18 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaglemom View Post
I am joining this class! OMY from the class of 2017. My date is 5/31/18. It will be here soon!
Hey beagle, welcome.

Not sure if it matters in your case, but the reason I am 5/1 instead of 5/31 is to get a month of health insurance paid by megacorp. Turns out in my case you get the full month if you make one day. How about you? Can I convince you to ratchet it back 30 days and join me?

I'm secretly hoping that Megacorp instead offers me a package to get me to the class of 2016, but that's another story... The plan is still 5/1/16 as of right now.

Joe
Old 07-16-2016, 11:27 PM   #37
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hey Joe,

Thanks! My DH will be eligible for retiree health care benefits and Medicare (for him) when we retire at the end of the May so I can't move it up but I will be appropriately jealous of you for the month of May, I promise!
Old 07-16-2016, 11:57 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

This Year Will Stick!

Officially changing to the Class of 2018. Shooting for April 30th and 46 years old.

Plans from several years ago had a target of 2016, then 2017. The numbers are more clear now with only about 21 months left to go. Still debating if I will request a 12 month sabbatical, or quit outright. A sabbatical would provide a back-up plan in case of unexpected results in the first year. However, while sabbaticals are listed in the megacorp HR manual I have never actually heard of anyone actually taking one.

Omalley
Old 07-17-2016, 09:23 PM   #39

For new members and new replies, copy forward and add your info to the list. I updated the recent replies, the list below is current now:

Unspecified Month
Grumpyretirement
Rickt (58)
boilerman (57)
RoyDornoch (60)
trapperjohn
datuck
Snoopy (55)
Lovetoski (46)
seabourne (39)
ugeauxgirl (46)

January
chief04010 1/2
cat wrangler

February

March
Nunyaa
38Chevy454 3/1 (54)

April
whatnot 4/1
Dreaming of Freedom 4/1 (41)
timo2 4/28 (65)
Omalley 4/30 (46)

May
Joe Wras 5/1 (55)
SumDay 5/31
beaglemom 5/31

June
Bigdawg

July

August

September

October
FIREmenow (58)

November

December

Old 07-17-2016, 09:32 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omalley View Post
Officially changing to the Class of 2018. Shooting for April 30th and 46 years old.

Plans from several years ago had a target of 2016, then 2017. The numbers are more clear now with only about 21 months left to go. Still debating if I will request a 12 month sabbatical, or quit outright. A sabbatical would provide a back-up plan in case of unexpected results in the first year. However, while sabbaticals are listed in the megacorp HR manual I have never actually heard of anyone actually taking one.

Omalley
Not quite the same thing, but I was able to work out a part-time job at my megacorp. It is in their policy, but also is not real common. Not exactly sure why, but I was able to get it approved for me. I guess it sort of helped that I wrote "retire or convert to part-time in June" on my beginning of year performance form but it was not a threat, just a way to get the ball rolling and work through the administrative BS. I formally converted to P/T on July 1st. Loving my 4 day weekends/3 day work weeks now. My P/T is also a type of risk mgmt decision, it allows me to keep the health insurance, but also avoid the withdrawals from savings. Might not be saving as much, but letting that nest egg increase for a couple years longer.

So I guess what I am advising, you have to ask and push to get through the bureaucracy. Yes, it can feel like pushing a rope sometimes. However if you never ask then you know what the answer is!