Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-14-2017, 03:46 PM   #141
Dryer sheet aficionado

Late to the party here, but just finished meeting with the FA. Her analysis agrees with mine, so it looks like I'll be on permanent maturity leave starting June 1, 2018.

Fingers crossed....

Good luck to the rest of the class
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2017, 08:35 PM   #142
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats, pullin - welcome to the class!! [emoji16]
ears20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:52 PM   #143
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin View Post
Late to the party here, but just finished meeting with the FA. Her analysis agrees with mine, so it looks like I'll be on permanent maturity leave starting June 1, 2018.

Fingers crossed...

Welcome!
Old 10-16-2017, 07:23 PM   #144
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin View Post

Fingers crossed....

Good luck to the rest of the class
Another banner day at MegaCorp.

Add me to the 2018 class as well. I only hope I can last...
WestUniversity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:28 PM   #145

So far, nearly 4 months into this final year,the time is passing s-l-o-w-l-y but with less stress. I wondered how that would be. My plan of 4 day workweeks fell apart starting in September (I am in education), but am hoping to get that going again soon. I alternate between a good attitude and screams of frustration - we've had a beautiful autumn, and I can just *taste* what it would be like to be enjoying it. But, "a steady course," I keep saying to myself. One interesting aspect is that co-workers, not necessarily close ones, but acquaintances, are retiring left and right. I think I've said before, I'm not in a particularly powerful job, and most of them weren't either - and they all are ecstatically happy to be out from under the need to constantly be responding to bosses. (Gently reminding yet a third time that a deadline is approaching). And the my very large employer is trying, though inefficiently, to put more and more screws to us. So far, the fact that top management has made enormous bleeding-out mistakes that require "small armies" to try to repair has kept them from turning the screws too far. Their most recent attempt was beaten back with the simple truth that top management's office is currently the most dysfunctional of all. And I think this will be the last I have to worry about yet another "realignment" I know they will try again (repeated realignments are how much of management justifies its existence), but I think I will just be squirting out of the other end when they do!

Meantime, two more "last time" milestones were just passed, and I am turning my attention to the meetings and appointments I need to be doing prior to August 1. I guess I should start scheduling things like eye exams now.

How are the rest of you finding this last year?
Pellice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:33 PM   #146
Dryer sheet wannabe

I've been annoying my co-workers with a running countdown of how many Mondays I have left ( 8 ). They say I'm an ass but I see it as more of a public service announcement
tinner2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:28 PM   #147
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner2u View Post
I've been annoying my co-workers with a running countdown of how many Mondays I have left ( 8 ). They say I'm an ass but I see it as more of a public service announcement
LOL, love it
I am at 18 weeks, still have not told anyone at w*rk yet.
tmm2good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:38 AM   #148
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner2u View Post
I only mentioned it to some co-workers with whom I don't work anymore (changed departments). I'm hoping a rumor starts to spread. Call it a "soft" announcement.

Get this, my new boss calls me in last month for a talk. I could not believe it, but he asks the silly question: "Joe, where do you see yourself in 5 years?" Me: "Uh, RETIRED."

He was stunned. Nobody retires at Megacrap anymore. They lay you off first. I seems to be an evil game now of playing chicken with the Feds. "Let's see how many older workers we can get rid of without an investigation." So, somebody saying this was shocking to him. Plus, I've now played my hand for retention stuff. You know, they want you to grind your nose off so they throw you a bone of some sort. A near retiree will likely keep his nose.

I think he is getting the hint it may be earlier than 5 years. On Jan 1, I may announce it and beg him to get me on the layoff schedule if he can. Either that, or I'm going to blindside him like Megacrap has been doing to so many older workers.

Yes, some bitterness is coming through. Ageism is alive.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:47 AM   #149

Joe, I'm curious, when you say "stunned," what did that consist of? Did the conversation end at that point?

I've been telling co-workers at my own level that I am going next year, but we are a very dispersed environment, and it's unlikely anyone over me will hear until I announce. I actually have three people I work for right now. I'm planning to tell the principal one early next year, in January. Maybe that's too early, but I want her to have enough time to plan ahead ( make me plan ahead. Then, the next tier of bosses in February. Particularly if I plan to take 1 day a week off, then I probably need to come clean.

On the other hand, I know this will mean an immediate demand to document everything I do, although on the third hand, "procedures" are changing so rapidly that I can plausibly say that very little I write down will be relevant in the future.

Guidelines at my institution (education) say to let people know only about two months ahead. But I know that's not enough time for my director. I'm taking that as applicable to the HR department.

I don't think anyone will be stunned. I hopefully will have the resources for financial independence, I have the positive motivation of a more creative and purposeful life plan, and the negative motivation of leaving behind constant realignments and new systems that don't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Get this, my new boss calls me in last month for a talk. I could not believe it, but he asks the silly question: "Joe, where do you see yourself in 5 years?" Me: "Uh, RETIRED."

He was stunned. Nobody retires at Megacrap anymore. They lay you off first.
I think he is getting the hint it may be earlier than 5 years. On Jan 1, I may announce it and beg him to get me on the layoff schedule if he can. Either that, or I'm going to blindside him like Megacrap has been doing to so many older workers.

Yes, some bitterness is coming through. Ageism is alive.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:53 AM   #150

I'm waffling. This is partly on the altar of marital politics- my DH would rather I didn't. And partly, no matter how I figure it (even at a VERY conservative rate of return,) 2 more years means a million dollars. This is because if I stay 2 years I will qualify for a 4 yr retirement package which will offer me enough of a payout that I won't have to touch portfolio till 2024. And access to company health insurance till I'm 65. I'm arguing with myself though. We have enough. plus my DH won't retire and we probably wouldn't have to touch it anyway. Even if you just counted dollars, additional years of savings plus payout is probably $450k or so. Husband keeps saying- you're ONLY 45, but staying 2 more years means missing more of my kids- and everything else I desperately want to do. I am SO tired of being in a hurry all the time. I have earned the rest, right?

My job has gotten worse. I used to take Fridays off but due to a law change and new computer system at work, I haven't managed a whole Friday off in months. And another week like last week and I might be out of there in March anyhow. Ugh. This is so hard.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:00 PM   #151

Quote:

He was stunned. Nobody retires at Megacrap anymore.
I love this- good for you, Joe. My boss asked how I was dealing with the new changes at mega finance, and I told him that I had put myself on the retirement list the moment I was eligible- in 2.5 years. (I didn't tell him I might not make it that long.) He was stunned- his mouth fell open. It was very satisfying
Old 10-22-2017, 01:44 PM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellice View Post
Joe, I'm curious, when you say "stunned," what did that consist of? Did the conversation end at that point?
No, it continued.

By "stunned," it went like this: his eyes got really big, and he said, "Really? I've never heard anyone say that before."

And for good reason. Megac.... has managed get rid of the 50+ crowd. Very few are left. 10 years ago they offered an early retirement and cleared out a group. That was respectful. Lately, it is just constant dribble-drab layoffs. Not respectful at all, and has really hit some people hard.

Anyway, we had a talk about where we are in life. The upshot? He admitted he's shooting for about 7 years to retire. We talked some more, and he realized that train's coming faster than you think. He's in good shape, and has planned well. I'll probably invite him to the forum when I finally announce it.
Old 10-22-2017, 03:22 PM   #153

Interesting! Also interesting that he has planned well WITHOUT the self-knowledge that he "working" towards retirement. There is more than one way to approach FIRE. One is intentionally planning from the earliest age. Another is simply shoving money into accounts constantly, just on general principles (my plan - my mom's almost sole piece of advice was to "save lots of money). You, Joe, started seriously planning 5 years ago. I would put my planning period at 3 years. But the easiest plan, probably your boss's plan is simply to be quite well compensated so the path is clear.

Now, a separate question - does your boss realize there is a second part to retirement planning (and even more parts if one has a spouse), which is, what are you retiring TO? (although I love one of the threads on this site which says, "You can ignore the call of those here who are crafting the perfect retirement, and just chill on out."

Quote:
No, it continued.

By "stunned," it went like this: his eyes got really big, and he said, "Really? I've never heard anyone say that before."

And for good reason. Megac.... has managed get rid of the 50+ crowd. Very few are left. 10 years ago they offered an early retirement and cleared out a group. That was respectful. Lately, it is just constant dribble-drab layoffs. Not respectful at all, and has really hit some people hard.

Anyway, we had a talk about where we are in life. The upshot? He admitted he's shooting for about 7 years to retire. We talked some more, and he realized that train's coming faster than you think. He's in good shape, and has planned well. I'll probably invite him to the forum when I finally announce it.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:21 PM   #154
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm2good View Post
LOL, love it
I am at 18 weeks, still have not told anyone at w*rk yet.

19 weeks until I announce and, like you, I've said nothing. My Megacorp matching contributions vest on 2/1, and my bonus is payable 2/28 - so not a word until then.
Joining Class of 2018
Old 10-22-2017, 04:22 PM   #155
Dryer sheet wannabe

Joining Class of 2018

Jan 26 will be my last day at work. My husband is counting the days for me. I am just trying to get everything done at work and will soon be orienting my replacement. Sounds like most of you are in business or education fields. I am a nurse and can’t wait to start my new adventures.
GrandmaHoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:27 PM   #156
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
I'm waffling. This is partly on the altar of marital politics- my DH would rather I didn't. And partly, no matter how I figure it (even at a VERY conservative rate of return,) 2 more years means a million dollars. This is because if I stay 2 years I will qualify for a 4 yr retirement package which will offer me enough of a payout that I won't have to touch portfolio till 2024. And access to company health insurance till I'm 65. I'm arguing with myself though. We have enough. plus my DH won't retire and we probably wouldn't have to touch it anyway. Even if you just counted dollars, additional years of savings plus payout is probably $450k or so. Husband keeps saying- you're ONLY 45, but staying 2 more years means missing more of my kids- and everything else I desperately want to do. I am SO tired of being in a hurry all the time. I have earned the rest, right?

My job has gotten worse. I used to take Fridays off but due to a law change and new computer system at work, I haven't managed a whole Friday off in months. And another week like last week and I might be out of there in March anyhow. Ugh. This is so hard.

How much is that time worth? Like you, I could w*rk another year, get pre-65 medical coverage access, continue to build the portfolio...but I can't add any time to the back end. That time is more valuable to me than any financial incentives - as it sounds to be for you.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:59 PM   #157
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellice View Post
Interesting! Also interesting that he has planned well WITHOUT the self-knowledge that he "working" towards retirement. There is more than one way to approach FIRE. One is intentionally planning from the earliest age. Another is simply shoving money into accounts constantly, just on general principles (my plan - my mom's almost sole piece of advice was to "save lots of money). You, Joe, started seriously planning 5 years ago. I would put my planning period at 3 years. But the easiest plan, probably your boss's plan is simply to be quite well compensated so the path is clear.

Now, a separate question - does your boss realize there is a second part to retirement planning (and even more parts if one has a spouse), which is, what are you retiring TO? (although I love one of the threads on this site which says, "You can ignore the call of those here who are crafting the perfect retirement, and just chill on out."
The whole incident was really interesting, in retrospect.

I didn't know him well, and he was just "going through the motions," asking that silly 5 year question. No employee is *ever* supposed to say, "I'm OUTTA HERE" (for whatever reason) at that question. You are supposed to say, "I want to be at the next level," or whatever other swill and BS is the normal answer. He was expecting that out of me because that's what he hears every day.

Our business discussion changed on a dime to a more personal discussion, and we both learned a bit about each other. I found out he's made some decent money in real estate, and he started advocating for mega-backdoor Roths at the end of our meeting. He's been planning, oh yeah.

He knows what he wants to retire to (some sort of religious mission work). He knows more than I do. In any case, an honest answer opened up a mutual understanding, and we learned a bit about each other. I think that's why I won't just blindside him when I retire. This was something I really am tempted to do because of Megacrap's recent mode of operating. But my boss is just a victim of the machine too, and doesn't deserve it. At least, that's my thinking today.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:52 PM   #158
Dryer sheet aficionado

That would be nice Joe if many of the bosses could be talked to. Too many cannot. The corporate thinking leaves employees with little more than broken promises and a lot of hot air.
may pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:48 PM   #159
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by may pop View Post
That would be nice Joe if many of the bosses could be talked to. Too many cannot. The corporate thinking leaves employees with little more than broken promises and a lot of hot air.
I know. We've got the AC on full blast at Megacrap.

I've been lucky to have (mostly) bosses with brains. I had one particular one... well, I'll stop right there. Blood pressure just went up 50 pts. Talk about hot air...
Class of 2018
Old 10-27-2017, 12:10 PM   #160
Full time employment: Posting here.

Class of 2018

I think this is the last list posted in the thread. I’ve added myself to the roster in December. I’ve already contemplated and writtten a resignation letter. Boy was that cathartic! Have not turned it in however. Will probably give 3 months notice.

Likewise as other posters have stated, in my mind I’ve been keeping a mental checklist of, “that’s the last time I’ll do that” or regarding the big projects on the horizon in my mind I’m cheering “well I won’t be here for that”

I have also begun to document all the things I do so that I can, “hand the keys” to someone else.

All of the above has greatly contributed to the reduction of my stress level.

Unspecified Month
Grumpyretirement
trapperjohn
datuck
Snoopy (55)
Lovetoski (46)
seabourne (39)

January
chief04010 1/2
Boilerman 1/2 (57)

February

March