Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-28-2017, 03:44 AM   #161
Confused about dryer sheets

Adding myself to the class of 2018 - DW are I are on track for the end of June, but will maybe hand in the old laptop a week earlier if I have unused vacation time.

Unspecified Month
Grumpyretirement
trapperjohn
datuck
Snoopy (55)
Lovetoski (46)
seabourne (39)

January
chief04010 1/2
Boilerman 1/2 (57)

February

March
Nunyaa
elainejtm

April
whatnot 4/1
ears20 (57)

May
Joe Wras 5/1 (55)
SumDay 5/31

June
Bigdawg
Poppydog 6/29 (63/60)

July
Dan4495 (60)

August
Pellice (62)

September

October
FIREmenow
RoyDornoch (60)

November

December
Cnocmmz
tmitchell (50
WestUniversity (60)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2017, 05:55 AM   #162
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Adding myself to the class of 2018 - DW are I are on track for the end of June, but will maybe hand in the old laptop a week earlier if I have unused vacation time.
Welcome to the forum! I'm somewhat new here myself. Was in Glasgow a few years ago. Love Scotland...

Old 10-29-2017, 07:29 AM   #163
Recycles dryer sheets

Adding my name to the 2018 list. Thought I would be part of the 2015 Class, but OMY struck 3 times
I'm turning 55 in 1 month and plan to retire beginning of July. This will let me deposit at least 12K in my 401K for the year, and planning on withdrawing 15K per year after I retire (along with withdrawals from other accounts).
Here's hoping the stock market doesn't drop more than 15% between now and then.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:45 AM   #164
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin View Post
Late to the party here, but just finished meeting with the FA. Her analysis agrees with mine, so it looks like I'll be on permanent maturity leave starting June 1, 2018.

Fingers crossed....

Good luck to the rest of the class
Same day for me, barring a stock market collapse.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:04 AM   #165
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
Same day for me, barring a stock market collapse.
June 1 is popular. Mrs honeyfill and I are planning to go on that date as well. Unless I get a buyout earlier😊. I hear rumors of a layoff in January.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:57 AM   #166
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeyfill View Post
June 1 is popular. Mrs honeyfill and I are planning to go on that date as well. Unless I get a buyout earlier😊. I hear rumors of a layoff in January.
You know you've arrived when you get excited at the thought of a layoff. (Count me in on that group.) Sad, but hey, the only way to get a little bonus these days.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:46 PM   #167
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
You know you've arrived when you get excited at the thought of a layoff. (Count me in on that group.) Sad, but hey, the only way to get a little bonus these days.
Boy is that the truth. The stars are not shining so brightly at MegaCorp these days. I would not be surprised to see cuts after Christmas. That said I will most likely volunteer for any cuts. There are young people early in their careers that really need their jobs much more than I do. The package I would get would negate the need to even be there next year...
Old 11-03-2017, 06:39 PM   #168
Dryer sheet wannabe

Bad news, look like the January layoffs will skip my department. therefore I am moving my date back to April 2. I have to work till then to get my bonus.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:12 PM   #169
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeyfill View Post
Bad news, look like the January layoffs will skip my department. therefore I am moving my date back to April 2. I have to work till then to get my bonus.

The bonus date has been driving my choice of R-day as well. However, we just had our 3Q all-employee meeting and we were told how poorly the year was going (and how bonuses would be negatively impacted).

Its probably not bad enough to trigger layoffs, and just bad enough to significantly shrink the bonus pool...
Old 11-14-2017, 07:33 AM   #170
Dryer sheet wannabe

I am In 2018

Please add me for May, 2018. I will be 63.5 yrs age

Thanks !
Old 11-17-2017, 12:06 PM   #171
Recycles dryer sheets

Sort-of poll on how you are taking vacation days

Since I've been carrying over 1 year of vacation days (all that's allowed) consistently, in this last year of employment I now have 2 years's worth of vacation days, a good number since I've been employed at the same place for more than 25 years. Most of my peers seem to throw the days at the end of their working days so they can leave earlier. My choice has been to sprinkle them throughout the final year, so I could almost achieve a 4 day workweek. Hasn't totally been achieved yet, but it felt better for me to hop from lily-pad-day-off to lily pad rather than leave employment 3 weeks earlier.

Your choices? What were the factors.

And, btw, I just returned from my final "big vacation" before leaving employment (I have plenty more vacation days, but nothing lengthy planned), and, believe me, that small grin has appeared. NOW, I really am relaxing about outcomes. My bosses weren't losing sleep over them, and I'm not either. I do my part and let them think about outcomes.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:23 PM   #172
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellice View Post
Since I've been carrying over 1 year of vacation days (all that's allowed) consistently, in this last year of employment I now have 2 years's worth of vacation days, a good number since I've been employed at the same place for more than 25 years. Most of my peers seem to throw the days at the end of their working days so they can leave earlier. My choice has been to sprinkle them throughout the final year, so I could almost achieve a 4 day workweek. Hasn't totally been achieved yet, but it felt better for me to hop from lily-pad-day-off to lily pad rather than leave employment 3 weeks earlier.

Your choices? What were the factors.

And, btw, I just returned from my final "big vacation" before leaving employment (I have plenty more vacation days, but nothing lengthy planned), and, believe me, that small grin has appeared. NOW, I really am relaxing about outcomes. My bosses weren't losing sleep over them, and I'm not either. I do my part and let them think about outcomes.
We have the option of cashing out our accumulated vacation hours when we retire. I am sitting on ~390 hours and get an extra 13.6 each month. We cap at 400 hours. I have been taking every other Friday off or sprinkling in a few hours here and there to stay under 400.

I planned to cash out the vacation to pad an emergency fund or pay off the car.

Current AA 70/30
Projected RE AA 60/30/10
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 05:49 PM   #173

Add me to the class of 2018. Jan 1 is my first day of retirement.

I joined this forum yesterday and hope to learn from all of you how to not mess this up

Ollieman
Old 11-20-2017, 06:20 AM   #174
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome, Ollieman - How many actual working days are left?

I added you and McBraemer.

Grumpyretirement
trapperjohn
datuck
Snoopy (55)
Lovetoski (46)
seabourne (39)

January
chief04010 1/2
Boilerman 1/2 (57)
Ollieman

February

March
Nunyaa
elainejtm

April
whatnot 4/1
ears20 (57)

May
Joe Wras 5/1 (55)
Mcbraemer (63.5)
SumDay 5/31

June
Bigdawg
Poppydog 6/29 (63/60)

July
Dan4495 (60)

August
Pellice (62)

September

October
FIREmenow
RoyDornoch (60)

November

December
Cnocmmz
tmitchell (50
WestUniversity (60)
Old 11-20-2017, 06:25 AM   #175

41 but whos counting
Old 11-21-2017, 11:13 AM   #176
Recycles dryer sheets

Whoever may be the keeper of the list ... please add me! Fourteen working days to go ... I'm out on Jan 2, 2018, at age 61!
Old 11-26-2017, 01:59 PM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffInSeattle View Post
Whoever may be the keeper of the list ... please add me! Fourteen working days to go ... I'm out on Jan 2, 2018, at age 61!
Nice one Jeff, how exciting! Good luck!
Old 11-26-2017, 03:12 PM   #178

Mrs PD and me were checking the numbers this afternoon and have decided we can FIRE a couple of months earlier! Moving up to 30 April 2018 instead of 30 June. Can’t believe how extra excited we are about a couple of months.

We’ve both found that’s it’s so much harder putting up with the corporate BS when you’re counting down, so we’re out of there earlier than planned, woo hoo!

Fantastic! Will hand In our notice now early in the new year.

PD
Old 11-28-2017, 12:21 PM   #179
Recycles dryer sheets

I believe that I'll take off mid-April, as i'll be coming back from a vacation in panama at the end of March. Will be a good excuse to transition my project to someone prior to leaving for a couple of weeks out of contact.

Hoping to make it to $1M investments by then as a personal goal (excluding wife's savings and my condo value) as a good personal milestone to draw a line under.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:57 PM   #180
Recycles dryer sheets

I need to meet with a tax attorney to finalize my plans but assuming a thumbs up from her, Oct 31st 2018 will be my date.

Things are falling into place with my wife starting Medicare in March 2018. Since she is medicare eligible because of SSDI the plan C is the most affordable and we found a PPO that works with her meds and her doctors. That leaves me on either an ACA policy in 2019 or the expensive company pre-65 retiree health coverage. But it brings our total max OOP including premiums down from about $27k in a theoretical worst year to ~$20k in that potential worst possible year for health coverage. It makes a difference.

Current AA 70/30
Projected RE AA 60/30/10
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote