Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-30-2019, 02:40 PM   #181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just gave notice

August 1, 2019 BABY!!!!!!!!11111

geez what a huge freaking relief
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2019, 05:43 PM   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I just gave notice

August 1, 2019 BABY!!!!!!!!11111

geez what a huge freaking relief
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 05:57 PM   #183
Dryer sheet wannabe

Congrats!!! I also gave 3 months notice...first month was full of wowzzz, what are you going to do, etc. second month was quiet, not much chatter about it at work. Then, that last month just zipped by, especially the last two weeks...
Glide77rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:34 AM   #184
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

First day off the job!

I didn't even have to go into the office to process out yesterday - all done remotely.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:50 AM   #185
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
First day off the job!

I didn't even have to go into the office to process out yesterday - all done remotely.
dude that's awesome
Old 05-01-2019, 09:53 AM   #186
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glide77rocks View Post
Congrats!!! I also gave 3 months notice...first month was full of wowzzz, what are you going to do, etc. second month was quiet, not much chatter about it at work. Then, that last month just zipped by, especially the last two weeks...
I have about 1 month left of my 3 months notice. The days go by very slowly and a bit uncomfortably. I count down each day. I love hearing your last month went by quickly. This morning I woke and thought how nice it will be to get another hour of sleep. June 7th can't get here fast enough!
- Save all you can
- Buy used cars
- Focus on your end goal
(FIRED June 2019)
Shabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:29 PM   #187
Full time employment: Posting here.

Last day at work will be 5/30. Last month & only 20 actual working days left. No stress because something like 10% of the company, about 1700 people, all took a voluntary retirement package, and we all leave the same day. Everyone is happy about it except those whose depts got decimated and will have to struggle with the loss of experience years. The business is changing greatly, so while the company is doing very well, it’s not the same place to work at any more.

Severance was great, $10k “incentive” (which basically makes me “whole” for lost company match, and minor pension adjustment) plus 14 months pay, (topped out, based on years of service) starting June this year, with the first two months of that as “Administrative Leave”, so all benefits etc still in place. Pension starts August 1, so two checks a month for a year. Company pays all medical for the rest of 2019, then I pay Company medical next 3 years, until age 65 (61/3 now) about $250/mo. Work was getting old, same old same old, I wasn’t going to progress any more and FIRE income is well, well, past 100%. Already moved to a new no maintenance location, salt water pool for the summer and nice gym included. Ready to make my time my own! Get back in to shape, catch up on my reading and audio projects. Travel on my own schedule. All I have to do is stay alive!!
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote
A change but still 2019
Old 05-02-2019, 08:29 AM   #188
Recycles dryer sheets

A change but still 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoesmith View Post
My father passed right before Christmas. Not totally unexpected, but impactful. And this has spurred me to make a decision. As we work through his estate issues I will keep working, but the reality of the finality, and the financial bump his thoughtful estate will bring, has driven me to firm my date to July 5th of this year. Dads final gift to me, so to speak. Setting all retirement clocks to 7/5/19. Time to start the dream.
Update:

I will be done with w*rk on December 20th and I’ve told my Board of Directors - which was a big, no going back thing. I extended the six months from July 5th for two reasons. First for $...other than the additional regular salary - I will receive a year end bonus and Top Hat 🎩 payout equaling ~$150k. Second, I will telecommute most of the rest of the year from my mountain home where I truly want to be in the summer and fall. I’ll still work hard, but from a cool and wonderful location. Class of 2019!!
Old 05-02-2019, 08:57 AM   #189
Give me a forum ...

Day 3 into this and I'm ready to go, today. Is there an app for counting down to retirement?
Old 05-02-2019, 08:58 AM   #190
Give me a forum ...

anyone else flip flopping between being totally relieved then totally anxious?
Old 05-02-2019, 09:24 AM   #191
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepr View Post
My day will be June 28th... just under four months to go!
Heh, my date is also June 28th. We are not too many miles apart. I am just slightly north of Boston.
Kabowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:30 AM   #192

There is a free app called “retire” for phones. I’ve had it on my phone over a year.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:39 AM   #193
Recycles dryer sheets

Handing in my two month notice tomorrow! Last day of work will be June 28th at age 58.5, with pay and benefits ending late August. From there forward I'll enjoy company subsidized health insurance until Medicare kicks in.

To answer Big_Hitter, yes, constantly flip flopping, but for no good reason.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:49 AM   #194
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
There is a free app called “retire” for phones. I’ve had it on my phone over a year.
thanks - installed!
Old 05-02-2019, 09:51 AM   #195
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabowest View Post
Handing in my two month notice tomorrow! Last day of work will be June 28th at age 58.5, with pay and benefits ending late August. From there forward I'll enjoy company subsidized health insurance until Medicare kicks in.

To answer Big_Hitter, yes, constantly flip flopping, but for no good reason.
yeah i don't know why i'm weirding out - probably because I'm 55 and have to live on savings plus pension for another 30 years or so

my ldw will be 8/1 and DW gets medicare that month. I'll get continuation of insurance though 8/31 and will likely get a bronze plan or something

time to get my eyes checked and a colonoscopy before i go
Old 05-02-2019, 10:58 AM   #196
Recycles dryer sheets

normal

Quote:
yeah i don't know why i'm weirding out - probably because I'm 55 and have to live on savings plus pension for another 30 years or so

my ldw will be 8/1 and DW gets medicare that month. I'll get continuation of insurance though 8/31 and will likely get a bronze plan or something

You're behaving completely normally IMO. I will be 59 when I go in December - and I have all of the same thoughts. Giving notice, out loud - was hard but then there was no more waffling. No more OMY, or OMM etc. Gotta go. First when people hear, they think your sick and dying, then they wonder about your sanity for leaving such a good position, etc.

Good money in me staying, but Im already questioning the sanity of my last gasp of OMSM (one more six months)...but the countdown clock is ticking - just not fast enough.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:25 PM   #197
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Day 3 into this and I'm ready to go, today. Is there an app for counting down to retirement?
Yes, I use Countdown Star.
(36 Days, 5 hours, 35 min, 3 seconds)
- Save all you can
- Buy used cars
- Focus on your end goal
(FIRED June 2019)
Shabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:17 AM   #198

27 days, 5 hours, 42 min....
Old 05-03-2019, 09:26 AM   #199
Recycles dryer sheets

House is on the market once I have a contract I will put in notice then move from KC to Colorado Springs. Evidently my DGF wants me to work for her part time.
nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:47 AM   #200
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

We are in lockstep it seems. I'll need to cover vision and dental once retired - I just scheduled a dentist and vision appt.