Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-21-2018, 06:34 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Curt, how old are you? And congratulations!

Retired January 2019, age 63
35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Floridatennisplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2018, 06:39 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

CurtSeattle,
I agree with HNL Bill - there's alot of diversity in this group.

FYI - I read this forum, and Mr Money Moustache and Bogleheads for more diversity of thought.

You asked for specific data in terms of anticipated monthly income and planned expenses. I'm not sure DH and I have so much more money than others but we are in our early 60's - so fewer years to plan compared to those in 40's or 50's. Yes, DH has a pension and we have rental income.

I'll work 1 more year full time (OMY) which is why I am on this thread.

Basically, we are calculating a basic monthly budget of $4.5k/month which will come from SS, pension, rentals.

We will use IRAs - RMD for travel, replacing cars, etc.
We also have Roth accounts that can be used in retirement when we need income but don't want to raise our marginal. income tax.

I agree- it is a little scary to take the retirement plunge. I hope info on our plan helps your plans.
Octogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:12 PM   #63
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridatennisplayer View Post
Curt, how old are you? And congratulations!
I'm 48 in about a month. Forgot to mention that. oops!
CurtSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:24 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry Curt. You are not allowed to retire. Read the rules. You are 15 years younger than me, therefore you need to wait.......lol. Congratulations

35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Old 09-21-2018, 07:43 PM   #65

Quote:
Sorry Curt. You are not allowed to retire. Read the rules. You are 15 years younger than me, therefore you need to wait.......lol. Congratulations
haha! I'm just getting my place ready for you all to visit!

I hope $800k is enough to fund my future at 4% withdrawal rate until SS hits in 22 years.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:55 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtSeattle View Post
haha! I'm just getting my place ready for you all to visit!

I hope $800k is enough to fund my future at 4% withdrawal rate until SS hits in 22 years.
Well, I’m sitting on $1,780,000 and hanging it up in March. I’ll have 12 months to withdraw and still nervous! Yeah, I need help...mental help.

35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Old 09-22-2018, 06:54 AM   #67

Quote:
Well, I’m sitting on $1,780,000 and hanging it up in March. I’ll have 12 months to withdraw and still nervous! Yeah, I need help...mental help.
What do you anticipate your monthly expenses at on average? Hopefully, double mine or you are making me even MORE nervous about FIRE'ing early! haha!
Old 09-22-2018, 07:18 AM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

$6,100

35/65 AA
0.00 WR
2019 - but when ?
Old 09-24-2018, 06:04 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

2019 - but when ?

I’m really torn between retiring June 30 or December 30 because of several factors. I would like the extra $$ in salary and retirement contributions in last 6 months . However, there is alot of uncertainty at work that may lead to drama.

My boss and I get along well and she would like me to stay to end of 2019. But she could be leaving in June 2019 and I do not have a strong relationship with her next in line.

My money saving habits are still strong - so on one hand it is hard to walk away from the extra $$. One the other hand, I have less tolerance for the work drama.

I have run my situation thru FireCalc and We 'll be ok with choice.

Did anyone here work the last few months and regret it ?
Octogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 04:13 AM   #70
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin View Post
Original plan was 2018, but pushed back (OMY, I know...)

Because of [boring math here] I think 12/1/2019 is the best time. Because of [more boring math] I can go part time next year with no effect on my final pension. So I plan to scale back to 3 days/week for 2019, and say farewell before Christmas.

I think it'll be nice to go on Christmas break -- forever.
I pushed things a wee bit forward. I went part time starting this week. I think I'll probably pull the trigger in a year (Oct 2019). I'm now 40% retired, and only work MTW. My new slogan: "Wednesday is the new Friday."
Old 10-21-2018, 12:13 PM   #71
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out of Steam View Post
I'm using a planning date just before Thanksgiving 2019.

Plans are coming together well right now.
With some serious workplace changes in store for 2019, I'm now about 90% sure to request early retirement for late spring. Feel like I've been through five years of constant churn, and don't see the point of going through another round of it.

Need to settle my spouse down a little bit, but she accepts that I'm probably going to do it.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:31 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelor View Post
I’m really torn between March 1 and Sept 1. If I wait those 6 months, I’ll have another $90,000 vested. It doesn’t change my lifestyle one bit, but it would be really nice to donate it to charity.
Sad to say, I think we are pushing it out till September. My mom has just been placed in hospice, and I would never forgive myself if she passes away while I go travel for a few months.

So we’re no longer at 4 1/2 months, but rather 10 1/2.

On the bright side, it gives my company another 6 months to hopefully eliminate my job and give me a severance. I wonder how I can put that into their head?
Kelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:14 AM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out of Steam View Post
With some serious workplace changes in store for 2019, I'm now about 90% sure to request early retirement for late spring. Feel like I've been through five years of constant churn, and don't see the point of going through another round of it.

Need to settle my spouse down a little bit, but she accepts that I'm probably going to do it.
In the same boat as you, as I'm "out of steam" too. I just turned 60 a few months back. Been deciding which month in 2019 to pull the trigger for some time now. My megacorp dept historically does their downsizing in the Fall and unfortunately I didn't win the lottery this year to get an invite to meet with my manager in a conf room where HR is located. Was soooo hoping to get the invite.

So I've decided end of June is it for me. Will give retirement notice after xmas holidays. DW is nervous too but we have more than enough of equity to draw from for another 30 years, along with SS at FRA and small pension I get at 65. Megacorp has a nice retirement benefit that allows me to continue to purchase existing medical/dental/vision at same price as employees until medicare eligibility time. Also have a side hustle teaching a couple of classes at local university that pays pretty well. DW owns her own part-time WFH business that pays well too. We both want something to do that keeps us minimally busy for another 4-5 years, while allowing time to start enjoying retirement. Given that, we feel good about our plans.

According to my countdown timer, i have just under 250 days to go.
Jimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:32 AM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

My name is nobody and I’m an addict.
I’m a 46, male, not married, no kids, EE who has had to spend 20 weeks this year on the road for work.

For the last 5 years I have been planning on hanging up the hat on Jan 4, 2019. I paid a FA\CPA at an hourly rate to come up with a plan for me. She gave me the number I needed but didn’t think I would get there by the end 2018, well I got there at May of this year, thanks to a great market. Her number is more conservative then FireCalc. As the last few months get closer I am hitting the not sure if I want to go or not. In my end of the year review, I said if they wanted to keep me around longer then I want to go to 32 hrs a week, little travel and work from home. They agree to all but work from home, they really want me to stay. Tentative plan now is to go part time and give it a run till Feb and then decide if it will be worth it for the rest of the year. 1/3 of my income comes from end of the year bonus. Jan and Feb is not a fun time to be out and about in the Midwest.

I think my problem is going to spending from saving. Been saving and LBYM’s for so long its hard to get used to taking it out and not putting it in.
nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:55 AM   #75
Full time employment: Posting here.

Breaking news - or at least breaking rumors - for my employment is that mega-corp
evidently is in serious talks to do an asset sale. How these things generally
happen is they deny anything is going on at all until the day they announce the
deal, they lock everyone into position (ring fencing) to prevent a wave of
transfer requests, then the acquirer spends a few months figuring out who they
want to keep as employees and the remainder get transfers or severance
packages. If it happens, it won't be hard to demonstrate to a new owner that
they don't want any part of moi. Severance template for my tenure is
about 10 months pay.

It's just a rumor, but I could be going a year early, maybe. Good luck could get
me into the 2019 class.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:14 AM   #76
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
My name is nobody and I’m an addict.
I’m a 46, male, not married, no kids, EE who has had to spend 20 weeks this year on the road for work.

I think my problem is going to spending from saving. Been saving and LBYM’s
for so long its hard to get used to taking it out and not putting it in.
Congrats! ...and Welcome! Please be sure to introduce yourself formally on the "Hi, I am" thread if you like!

Does the job make you happy and fulfill you? If not, bail when you're ready, not when the company's ready!

BTW, I was single all my life until age 47, when I met my current wife. I had planned to retire at 50, but travel for two is almost twice as expensive as travel for one, so I stayed on for three years past my 50th birthday to up the travel budget by 100%. Best wishes!
HI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:18 AM   #77

Greetings, I was in the class of 2018 but had to remove myself, since my boss at megacorp is saying I cannot take off time around Christmas (which I want to do to visit MIL that has cancer, and likely her last Christmas), and also quit on the 31st December. It makes sense, from their perspective.

So, I have (reluctantly) moved the date to 18 January. I'll stick with that, unless conditions deteriorate at w*rk, which may happen, since a lot of people are jumping ship after a take-over that just occurred, or if MIL or FIL gets sicker.

I might be the first one here to go in 2019
Old 12-04-2018, 05:57 PM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

OK, 2/28/19 is the day and this time I mean business. 85 Days left. I am working like I have 10 years to go. Trying to capture every bit so I don't look back. I've been thinking about this since 1990.
- Save all you can
- Buy used cars
- Focus on your end goal
(FIRED June 2019)
Shabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:50 PM   #79

Shabby, stick the Retirement Countdown Lite app on your phone and you can see the number of w*rk days you have left, which can be encouraging.

26 w*rk days to go for me!
Old 12-05-2018, 09:13 PM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabby View Post
OK, 2/28/19 is the day and this time I mean business. 85 Days left. I am working like I have 10 years to go. Trying to capture every bit so I don't look back. I've been thinking about this since 1990.

Congratulations! I’m sure that’s a great feeling.
Austin704 is offline   Reply With Quote