Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-15-2017, 09:34 PM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodajazz View Post
Still hopeful for mid year 2021.

Good luck!

ChrisTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2017, 06:58 AM   #22
gone traveling

Born '63, would love to be Class of 2021 (if returns stay up). If returns flatten, with no massive reboot, will pull plug NLT 2023.

Pilot2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:33 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrencewendall View Post
Congrats! We may have to inspire each other to last till then. I know it will go by fast but w*rk looks less appealing every day.
I'm in this camp as well. I could retire now if I wanted to, but I'd also like more buffer and to be able to live a little better than I could if I actually retired today. Still, 2021 seems like a long way off. The days tick off of the calendar at a snail's pace.

Lately, increasing my net worth and retiring early have become an obsession. I constantly run different what-if scenarios to see if I can shorten the time-line to reach my net worth goal. It's like waiting on Christmas when you're a kid. I don't hate my job as much as I'm just bored with it and want to do something else. So that's the plan - retire in 2021 when I no longer need the money and instead take a job that I enjoy, regardless of pay, if I feel like I need more cushion.
AS2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:29 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Fellow 2021'ers,
As 2017 comes to an end, 2018 means only 3 more calendar years to go! (don't start counting the days yet, it's depressing)
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:56 AM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

I too am planning for 2021. March 31, 2021 to be specific. Megacorp requires me to be on the payroll in Q1 2021 when 2020 Bonus & 2020 401K match is paid. DW will retire at same time probably. Plan to work remaining 3.25 years to top off financials, mainly for future medical needs. Between me, DW, and Megacorp matching, we will put away nearly $50k/year in 401k/IRAs.

We're doing great as far as retirement FI goes. Will be 62.5 when retiring. Not planning to take SS until 66, for full benefits. Will have to fund pre-SS retirement from cash bucket. May also find a part-time consulting gig doing remote web SW coding during then too. Just depends on how bored I get.
Jimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:12 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
I too am planning for 2021. March 31, 2021 to be specific. Megacorp requires me to be on the payroll in Q1 2021 when 2020 Bonus & 2020 401K match is paid. DW will retire at same time probably. Plan to work remaining 3.25 years to top off financials, mainly for future medical needs. Between me, DW, and Megacorp matching, we will put away nearly $50k/year in 401k/IRAs.

We're doing great as far as retirement FI goes. Will be 62.5 when retiring. Not planning to take SS until 66, for full benefits. Will have to fund pre-SS retirement from cash bucket. May also find a part-time consulting gig doing remote web SW coding during then too. Just depends on how bored I get.
I ran different scenarios at personalcapital.com and it actually showed that it was better for me to draw SS at 62 and not touch my portfolio since the portfolio had better returns (8.6%) than the early SS withdrawal penalties (5% at 62, 63 & 64, 6.6% at 65 and 66. My FRA is 67). Might want to check it out.

To see the effect of postponing claiming SS benefits

https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/ProgData/ar_drc.html
Old 01-01-2018, 12:25 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I ran different scenarios at personalcapital.com and it actually showed that it was better for me to draw SS at 62 and not touch my portfolio since the portfolio had better returns (8.6%) than the early SS withdrawal penalties (5% at 62, 63 & 64, 6.6% at 65 and 66. My FRA is 67). Might want to check it out.

To see the effect of postponing claiming SS benefits

https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/ProgData/ar_drc.html

Thatís really interesting! I played around on PC Retirement Planner, too, and it apparently makes a big difference to have that extra income stream come online in oneís early 60s. I guess things Iíd need to get comfortable with first are:

- Politiciansí incompetence aside, SS is solid like an annuity, or is supposed to be.

- The PC projections are just that, projections. Can we count on them?

- Thereís benefit in spending down tax favored accounts before RMDs start.

Major food for thought though, so thanks.

Iíll count myself 2021, though the current plan is to take a gap year then and see how we like it.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:14 AM   #28
Dryer sheet aficionado

Excited that 2021 is only 3 years away. Financial goal this year is to hit net worth of 900K. I retire in late 2021 with two pensions equal to 66K a year. I will turn 60 in 2010. I am taking SS at 62 as I had children late in life, better payout early. Still considering part-time work, maybe 10 hours a week. I think this would be healthy for me.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:17 AM   #29
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'm signing myself up with this group. Born in 1970 (DW 1962).

I will meet the Fed Employee 50+20 (age+service) threshold in May 2021. A milestone of moderate financial significance, and a convenient landmark. 50/20 means I can start my modest FERS pension unreduced at age 60, rather than at age 62.

I spend more time than I should keeping the Excel spreadsheet up to date and thinking about this stuff. Chasing FI is fun, but too much focus on it negatively impacts my attitude towards work. In reality my job is a good one, with good coworkers. I'm going to try to look less often in 2018. But I am signing up!
Proteus126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:27 PM   #30
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus126 View Post
I'm signing myself up with this group. Born in 1970 (DW 1962).

I will meet the Fed Employee 50+20 (age+service) threshold in May 2021. A milestone of moderate financial significance, and a convenient landmark. 50/20 means I can start my modest FERS pension unreduced at age 60, rather than at age 62.

I spend more time than I should keeping the Excel spreadsheet up to date and thinking about this stuff. Chasing FI is fun, but too much focus on it negatively impacts my attitude towards work. In reality my job is a good one, with good coworkers. I'm going to try to look less often in 2018. But I am signing up!

Awesome, glad to have you on board. I look at my spreadsheet too often because I enjoy it. Same issue, I enjoy my job.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:01 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTexas View Post
Awesome, glad to have you on board. I look at my spreadsheet too often because I enjoy it. Same issue, I enjoy my job.
I enjoy my job also but there are too many postings on here about people's time cut short unexpectedly.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:51 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

2021 cannot come fast enough! This morning I had a tough time getting into the car. The doors were frozen shut due to yesterday's ice storm. I finally got in and headed to the train station but traffic was backed up due to an accident in one of the intersections. After sitting there for awhile, I knew I missed my normal train. Police diverted us and I finally got to the train station. I was just about ready to board the next train when I realized I left my w$rk credentials (used to get in the building and for teleworking) in the laptop at the house since I teleworked yesterday. My badge holder not only has my work credentials, but also my train ticket and the Metro pass. I wasn't going any place. Figured I might as well telework another day. Still had to find an alternate route to get home. What a morning!
Old 02-09-2018, 01:46 PM   #33

I've been participating in the 2024 thread in the Young Dreamers forum because I couldn't find a 2022 thread. I have a soft target of April 2022 so I can hit my 25 year work anniversary. However, since my megacorp typically gives an 18 month separation package, I wouldn't be upset if I got "pushed" at some point in 2021.

I likely look at my countdown too often and it impacts my sanity. 3-4 years out is likely excessive. However, I've planned trips a year and a half out and time seems to fly by with the departure day seemingly arriving out of the blue.

The missus is a handful of years younger than me and needs to work longer to best benefit from her DB pension. So, I'm starting to look at ideas on how to keep active while still being able to enjoy a leisurely retirement during the time she still needs to work.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:40 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVRRocketSurgery View Post

I likely look at my countdown too often and it impacts my sanity. 3-4 years out is likely excessive. However, I've planned trips a year and a half out and time seems to fly by with the departure day seemingly arriving out of the blue.

Nothing wrong with a little escape fantasizing and mind games, I say. DW and I have a little red spiral bound notebook on the cover of which I drew a palm tree and hammock. Each page counts down a month to Jan. 2021. On the 20th of each month, we pull it out and whoever had the worst month at work gets to tear out a page and crumple it. Usually, itís her. We think it helps and, youíre right, the long time moves along surprisingly fast.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:09 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Here's a kicker. I ran the numbers numerous times and I am FI right now but it is all locked up in tax deferred which I can't access until 2021 without the 10% penalty. Not wanting to pay Uncle Sam that 10% so I must wait until 2021 even though I am almost a MULTI right now. Can't bring myself to pay that 10%, forfeit a small non-COLA'ed pension just to walk away early. Need to keep myself engaged at w*rk just to keep my mind off of it. I am starting a new project which should make the time pass faster. Besides, the extra years of normal income may help finance the dream retirement home (unless my DW keeps blowing the dough). Enjoy my j*b so life is good. Just looking towards the new found freedom.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:47 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Here's a kicker. I ran the numbers numerous times and I am FI right now but it is all locked up in tax deferred which I can't access until 2021 without the 10% penalty. Not wanting to pay Uncle Sam that 10% so I must wait until 2021 even though I am almost a MULTI right now. Can't bring myself to pay that 10%, forfeit a small non-COLA'ed pension just to walk away early. Need to keep myself engaged at w*rk just to keep my mind off of it. I am starting a new project which should make the time pass faster. Besides, the extra years of normal income may help finance the dream retirement home (unless my DW keeps blowing the dough). Enjoy my j*b so life is good. Just looking towards the new found freedom.

If youíre FI and enjoy your j*b then you already have quite a bit of freedom...congrats!

One thing you might want to consider is a section 72t, or SEPP, withdrawal. This allows you to take substantially equal periodic payments from your IRA before 59.5 without penalty. The biggest catch is you have to take whatever amount you set up when you commence withdrawals every year for the longer of 5 years or until you turn 62.

Iím availing myself of this since Iím 57 and canít stand the thought of spending another 1.5 years on the corporate hamster wheel. Iíll be forfeiting a tiny non-COLA pension as well, but the time that will become mine, and mine alone, is priceless.

As always, YMMV.
ears20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:04 PM   #37

A lot of 401ks and 403bs allow penalty-free withdrawals upon separation in the year one turns 55 or older. IRAs do not. Both DWís and mine do, though I had to track down the fine print and confirm with the plan custodian.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:58 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
Nothing wrong with a little escape fantasizing and mind games, I say. DW and I have a little red spiral bound notebook on the cover of which I drew a palm tree and hammock. Each page counts down a month to Jan. 2021. On the 20th of each month, we pull it out and whoever had the worst month at work gets to tear out a page and crumple it. Usually, itís her. We think it helps and, youíre right, the long time moves along surprisingly fast.
My mind game is a reverse countdown lookup. If retirement is 1500 days away, I think back or look up what I was doing 1500 days ago and try to think about the memory of that event being not that long ago.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:13 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

I am in for the class of 2021 (55 yo). Not sure what I'm going to do at that point, but it will be nice to be FI.
corn18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 01:16 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhole View Post
I am in for the class of 2021 (55 yo). Not sure what I'm going to do at that point, but it will be nice to be FI.
Being FI is only part of the picture. You do have 3 years to think about what you to do after retirement.

HillCountry is offline   Reply With Quote