Join Early Retirement Today

Clothes in retirement
Old 07-02-2010, 09:38 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Clothes in retirement

An earlier post made reference to the difference between spending $9.95 on a pair of slacks from WalMart vs. $125 from Jos. A. Bank. That caught my eye for a couple of reasons:
- When I retired from the Navy and had to buy suits for my civilian career, I bought most of them from Jos. A. Bank (which was originally a Baltimore area firm; I was living in Baltimore County at the time.)
- The first individual stock I ever bought (I don't do individual stocks any more) was Jos. A. Bank (because I really liked their stores and had just read an article in the Baltimore Sun about their strategic plan which sounded like it made sense. Bought (not enough) shares at $3 and sold not too many years later for about $45, IIRC.

But I digress... I've always tried to buy clothes on sale. When I was working, I nevertheless tried to buy quality stuff because you just look better in good quality clothes and, whether you want to believe it or not, people treat you better if you look well dressed, have shined shoes, a crisp shirt and a decent looking tie. (Being a stockholder with JOSB, even if there wasn't a sale I got 10% off.)

For my casual clothes, I've always been an L.L. Bean/Land's End kind of guy (but have mostly bought only when things are on sale.) Living in New England, we have a few L.L. Bean outlets and whenever we pass near one we stop and check out what they have. If there's something I need at a good price I buy it; if they have nothing I need, I don't buy something just because it's priced well.

I wear a sports coat maybe 6 times a year these days. I wear a suit once a year at the most. My summer "uniform" is shorts/chinos and a t-shirt or polo shirt; my winter uniform is jeans /corduroy slacks and a flannel shirt. It's rare that I dress up any more than that.

I've started to write the date of purchase on the label of new clothes. When they get too old to wear as "dress" clothes (normally after at least 5 years), I write a symbol on the label that means they're "hangin' around clothes" (so I can more quickly identify them in the closet.) When they pass the "hangin' around" stage, they become "work clothes" with yet another symbol on the label. That's what I wear to work in the yard, paint or do other dirty jobs. When they finally turn to shreds and I can't even use them for yard work or painting, I throw them away.

I've found a few stores where I know, for example, that LaCoste polo shirts are always going to be on sale in late June. $40 man. suggested retail price; with markdown and coupons, probably $15. There are a number of other predictable sales, either through Land's End/L.L. Bean catalogues or stores, so I generally wait for them. For workout gear, I've found that Target has a line of Champion gear called C9 which is a lot cheaper than some name brand like Under Armour and serves my needs just as well.

I'm curious how other FIREd folks handle their clothes shopping and how long they typically keep clothes before throwing them away. Do you go for quality clothes at sale prices or tend to buy lower end, less expensive items?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2010, 09:50 AM   #2

I visited an older friend the other day and interrupted him turning the collar on a shirt. He is probably the richest man I know, and he considers is profligate to discard a shirt before both sides of the collar are frayed.

As for me, I am still working my way through the huge closet of clothes I accumulated during my working and clothes-horse days. I don't date them, but know that several of my sports coats are more than 25 years old.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:54 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I buy virtually all my clothes at Banana Republic. I always use 40% off coupons that I receive almost every month or buy from the sales rack. I keep my dressier clothes for a very long time (I am lucky in that my waste size has not changed in years) and I treat them with great care (brush my suits and store them in proper garment sleeves, use shoe trees for my good shoes, wash then store woolen sweaters in cedar boxes during the off season, etc...). I keep the everyday stuff (jeans, t-shirts, casual shoes) for about 2 years. I buy most of my dress shoes at Johnston and Murphy, either when they go on sale at the mall or on J&M's website.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:58 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

It's only been five years since I retired. I figure won't need any new clothing for another five, maybe ten years....
Old 07-02-2010, 10:06 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
I'm curious how other FIREd folks handle their clothes shopping and how long they typically keep clothes before throwing them away. Do you go for quality clothes at sale prices or tend to buy lower end, less expensive items?
I have always looked for good prices. At work I had to dress in formal meeting attire ($$$) when representing the agency, but most of the time only business casual was required. I usually dressed in a polo shirt and slacks.

Just before I retired my favorite polo shirts were on sale. Instead of $12.99 - $19.99, they were on sale for $1.44-$2.88. I bought all they had in my size, more than a dozen I think, in many colors some of which I might never have worn to work. Then the day after I retired I bought four more pairs of nice slacks while in sort of a "Wow, I'm retired, whoopee, I have money and all the time in the world" daze. So, I don't need to buy any more clothes suitable for leaving the house for a few years. I still dress in "business casual" in these polo shirts and slacks when we go to restaurants, shopping, or whatever.

We just ended the hottest June on record in New Orleans, and the slacks gave way to shorts. I have plenty of them but they are getting a little threadbare so I need to look for more. My main criterion for these shorts will not be price, but comfort.

When at home by myself, I generally wear cheap oversized cotton clothes with comfort as the most important feature. Even though I buy these sloppy clothes (things like men's t-shirts) new, I keep them even when they are worn, ripped and threadbare. Some I have had for over a decade. As long as they are comfy, who cares? It's not like anybody sees them. Clothing that I wear outside the house must look nice, though.

Speaking of comfort, I spend a LOT on my high end New Balance running shoes and Thorlo socks, both of which I wear nearly every day. I haven't bought any since retiring, but I have no intention of changing my habits in this regard. Some thing are worth spending money on, and comfortable feet are a high priority for me.

I also spend more than a minimum amount on Bali undergarments, but can generally find them on sale.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:09 AM   #6

Well, the type of clothes I wear has changed. Most of the blazers are still good, but not often worn. The dress pants are wearing out after two years.

Today I usually wear chinos or jeans and sweatshirt/sweater/t-shirt. Those last about a year.

-- Rita
Old 07-02-2010, 10:18 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Tee shirts, shorts and jeans for me. I love my old, tattered jeans.

Boot wax has overtaken pantyhose....one expense gone...one expense in its place.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:27 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Mostly buy from LLBean (have their credit card just for the free shipping), typically when they have sales. Warm weather is pretty much shorts/chinos with t-shirt or polo. Winters are jeans or chinos with long sleeve t, flannel shirt, sweater, or sweatshirt. I usually wear items until they start to look worn so maybe 2-3 years for most clothing. I keep dressier clothes for a very long time since they don't get a lot of use, and my weight does not fluctuate much. Running shoes are my largest clothing expense these days.
Lakedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:43 AM   #9
gone traveling

I'm getting ready to head out on vacation (the working man's wanna-be equivalent of ER) and just did an cost-based appraisal of what I'm wearing. Total cost <$25 for Jeans, Hawaiian shirt, flip-flops. I hope to scale that back somewhat when I retire...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:54 AM   #10

I'm just not plunking down too much on clothing now that I'm not working, but shoes...well...shoes, purses and jewelry I'll pay whatever.
If me feets hurts I'm a gonner, tho. And I refuse to carry a crappy purse or wallet, because they just don't last so it isn't worth it ultimately.
In the summer I buy Dri-Fit or Cool Max clothing totally, and those you have to grab when they come in usually. Full price often but, what the heck, they do last a long time and surely keep you comfortable. Some things are just worth it to me. Like I said, they laaaaast a long time.
But, I just love the fact I no longer have to buy or wear dresses or suits much anymore. I feel so freed! And life is so much cheaper overall now clothingwise. Whoooo hooooo, yippee!!!!!
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:40 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Thrift store except for underwear, socks, and shoes. Underwear and socks for Xmas presents, and shoes from big 5 (discount sporting goods store). Rarely need shoes. I live in SoCal and am barefoot all the time.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:39 PM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

I wear casual outfits most days . Capri pants with matching tees or a sundress when it is hot . I buy most of my clothes from JJill , Chico's or land's end . I also like Vera Bradley Purses and fun flats or sandals so that is what I wear 99% of the time . Clothes are probably one of the area where I do not skimp .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:05 PM   #13

When I was preparing for retirement 3 to 4 years ago, I gave away a ton of clothing. In addition to downsizing and helping people of lesser means, I wanted to give it away while I still qualified for a tax deduction. It was actually the hardest part of downsizing.

I buy most of my clothes at Walmart, Target, or Kohl's. I spend around $6-$16 for most shirts and maybe $15 for jeans. I hardly ever wear a shirt that has buttons all the way down the front unless I am going out to a real nice place.

I rarely dress up. I have worn a suit twice since retiring 3 years ago, that was in Colombia for 3 weddings (2 of them were on one day). Both times I paid $30 to rent a nice suit (since I don't even have a sports jacket here).

My dress really has not changed much from when I worked. I was an engineer and just wore jeans and T-shirt or polo shirt to work everyday.

My girlfriend in Colombia bought me a couple of pieces of clothing to jazz me up a little, she said the clothes I brought were a little too gringo. Colombians dress with more color and less solid colors.

One of the things I appreciate about American culture is its informality. In many countries, especially those that are not meritocracies, clothes serve as a signaling mechanism for status.
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:09 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

whenever i have the chance to peruse a clearance rack of quality clothing, i do it - i buy when well-made clothing is marked down to almost nothing, and otherwise i just shop my closet.

we don't waste money on cheap clothing - it falls apart and you don't get your value out of it. i'd much rather have something like the wool sweater i bought at Gap last winter - originally marked over $100 and purchased for 8 bucks. i'll still be wearing it in 2020.

if you are careful to choose classic styles and if you buy when the price is right, you can build a classic wardrobe that covers all social occasions.

--

retired mid-2000s age 42
fancy free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:18 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I'm mostly still wearing the khakis and polo shirts I wore while working. I had to buy a few pairs of shorts after I moved to the beach, but they're pretty cheap at 80% off at Bass in the fall. Other than that my biggest clothing expense is T-shirts and hats from the various concerts and festivals I go to.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:31 PM   #16
Dryer sheet wannabe

I have to wear dress pants and a dress shirt daily to work. I have resorted to finding a shirt I like or pants I like then sourcing them online. I have bought $100 wool dress pants for $20 a pair. I do have some nice shoes, AE (Not American Eagle --> Allen Edmonds, Alden, handmade florsheim's etc) that I do not wear to work, these will last my lifetime with proper care. I wear $99 (often purchased with 20% or more off coupons) Johnston and Murphy rubber soled dress shoes as a daily shoe for safety and comfort, leather soles were not meant for some of environments I work in.

I have found buying quality clothing saves me money over buying cheap clothes. Quality classic items last longer and look better than buying trendy designer junk that is uncomfortable and out of style in 3 months.

For Casual clothes I almost exclusively purchase clearance items from Kohls. I can buy brands like Levi, Dockers, Chaps for 90% off or MORE on a regular basis. My last score was $60 chaps pants for $7 a pair!!! I often buy shirts for $1.60, $2.00, etc. It makes my wife sick when I can buy a basket full of clothes for $50.

My last couple of pairs of Athletic shoes have come from Joes New Balance, they often have insanely cheap prices on shoes.

I am shopping like this at 27, I wonder how bad I am going to get when I can start to taste being FIRED!
Kcinnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:46 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

These days I buy a lot of my clothes at COSTCO. Good selection of jeans, Dockers type pants, cargo shorts, and a nice variety of shirts. Bike clothes online. When the leather jacket needs replacing (getting there now) I wait for a trip to New York.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

Speaking of comfort, I spend a LOT on my high end New Balance running shoes and Thorlo socks, both of which I wear nearly every day. I haven't bought any since retiring, but I have no intention of changing my habits in this regard. Some thing are worth spending money on, and comfortable feet are a high priority for me.
I agree with you on the comfy feet. I buy high quality walking, hiking and running shoes, on sale generally. For running and walking shoes I've found Holabird Sports (Baltimore area) to be a good place to get decent prices.
<www.holabirdsports.com>
When I lived in that area I visited them and had an analysis done of my feet. Based on that I bought New Balance walking shoes and running shoes that were really great. Since moving, I order them (actually, their successor models) over the web.

I've also recently discovered Keen sandals which I wear all summer - not cheap but the only sandals I've ever really worn consistently.

Any time I've gone the cheapo route on shoes I've been disappointed.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:07 PM   #19
Dryer sheet aficionado

As I just "crossed the bar" Wednesday I haven't spent a lot of time thinking this through, but as I am in a somewhat rural area I was considering a warm weather outfit of bug spray. I don't think that the deer and the turkeys would mind. The squirrels are somewhat worrying though....
billin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:59 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Garage sales except for underwear & socks. Rarely spend more than $2, and the stuff I get is like new.

I've accumulated a lifetime supply of T-shirts from different sources.

Socks are a problem, since I've grown accustomed to nice wool socks such as SmartWool or Wigwam. When people ask me what I want for a present, this is what I suggest. The problem is that they wear out too quickly (I don't wear shoes around the house), and the present giving can't keep up.

I'm considering these no-name brand socks:

Amazon.com: 3 - Prs. Merino Wool Blend Socks: Clothing