CNBC segment on ER and dementia

David1961

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Did anyone else see the segment on CNBC yesterday where they say that retiring early increases your risk of dementia? There was a study in some country that showed that working later reduces your risk of developing dementia. Basically implying that those who ER have no mental stimulation.

I did not see it. But I want to say that this is a rehash of the "you'll die early if you ER" we've talked about ad nauseam.

Did they bring up forced ER versus planned for and voluntary? The idea being a forced ER can lead to depression and sitting in front of the TV.

All I know is right now my mind is turning to mush rehashing the same old crap at w*rk. I'm ready to get out and do something different in ER for some mental stimulation.

Sheesh, it seems like the world wants to keep us working until 80 lately. Not sure about the agenda of some of these networks, but they sure want to keep us working.

My wife pointed it out to me. I told her that I'd chance it.

Did they bring up forced ER versus planned for and voluntary? The idea being a forced ER can lead to depression and sitting in front of the TV.

No they did not bring up any of that. One of the reporters said something like "Studies like this is why I'll work until the day I die". Don't know whether I should laugh, be angry, or feel sorry for her.

My wife pointed it out to me. I told her that I'd chance it.
My wife pointed it out to me just now. I told her she could go back to work if she wants to.

All I know is right now my mind is turning to mush rehashing the same old crap at w*rk. .....

Agree on both counts. And reading too many badly designed studies will turn your mind to mush too ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The brain is just like any other part of the body, use it or lose it. I am totally convinced the media has to fill so much space and they will use any means, methods, etc. to fill it, much of it is nothing more than bovine scatology. Just my two cents now where did I put my car keys ?

Last edited:
I believe the point of the study (which was in France) was to keep the mind active so as to reduce the chances of dementia in all forms.

Study: Later retirement may help prevent dementia | Health | The Seattle Times

Heather Snyder, director of medical and scientific operations for the Alzheimer's Association, said the study results don't mean everyone needs to delay retirement.
"It's more staying cognitively active, staying socially active, continue to be engaged in whatever it is that's enjoyable to you" that's important, she said.
"My parents are retired but they're busier than ever. They're taking classes at their local university, they're continuing to attend lectures and they're continuing to stay cognitively engaged and socially engaged in their lives."

Lies, damned lies, and statistics. Way to many variables not covered to make this meaningful

Like the only legitimate use for a brain is working. :rolleyes:

I am too demented to understand the point of that segment.

A coworker (70, still working) mentioned it to me yesterday. I think it's a reason some people continue to work -- they are afraid that if they stop, their brains will rot. I can understand that. At the same time, I reminded him that plenty of people I know are retired but very mentally active, taking classes etc. I think he's actually concerned for me and was making a sideways suggestion. He means well, but I think his fears have more to do with him than me.

Some (many?) of us come here to this forum to argue, thinking that this is cerebral exercise that will prevent Alzheimer.

Does that work, or does it simply raise blood pressure?

Oops. I should log off now. :hide:

Last edited:

+1

I have yet to see *any* of these "ER is not good for you" studies that distinguish between those who choose to ER, and those who are forced to ER (particularly when forced due to health issues). I am positive that one would see drastically different results between the two groups.

+1

I have yet to see *any* of these "ER is not good for you" studies that distinguish between those who choose to ER, and those who are forced to ER (particularly when forced due to health issues). I am positive that one would see drastically different results between the two groups.

I think there are some retirement studies that do try to control for this (if memory serves) but I agree that failing to do so is a problem.

That said, I do think that some people retire voluntarily and don't really do anything in retirement to exercise the brain, doing nothing more mentally taxing than sitting on the couch watching TV.

I suspect that for these people even a boring job does provide more mental stimulation than what they do after retirement.

I suspect that for most of us here we don't have a problem getting adequate mental stimulation after retirement and may get more than when working. Just the fact that we seek out a forum like this makes us a different bunch of people than typical retirees.

I think the true message shouldn't be not to retire, but to seek out mental stimulation and brain exercise once you do retire. And, if someone can't do that and has no ideas except working to do it, then maybe that person really shouldn't retire.

+1

Yeah, it's crucial to differentiate the voluntary from the involuntary retirees. It's also crucial to distinguish between people who are socially and intellectually active in their retirement from people who are not.

Fwiw, the article I read on this subject did make this qualification:

[...] Keeping active and social, whatever the form, promotes brain health and prevents degeneration.

For some, an active life after retirement works just as well as extending a career.

"My parents are retired but they're busier than ever," said Heather Snyder, director of medical and scientific operations for the Alzheimer's Association. "They're taking classes at their local university, they're continuing to attend lectures and they're continuing to stay cognitively engaged and socially engaged in their lives."

[....] What's more important, Snyder said, is "staying cognitively active, staying socially active, continue to be engaged in whatever it is that's enjoyable to you."
Later Retirement Reduces Risk For Alzheimer

Unfortunately, that qualification came near the end of the article, and most people will just hear the headline.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom