Coasting Observation

Interesting topic, indeed.

Heard in our weekly meeting from boss today that more benefits are in discussion for reduction.

Consensus is, "more layoffs to come", so it matters little if people go for greener grass. Why not coast downhill, and see when resistance brings my ride to a final halt?

I have to believe there are thousands of mid-50's boomers that are just waiting for final pricing and rules on Obamacare before deciding to pull the trigger and go. I have believed for some time now that the best way to stimulate the economy would be to temporairily lower the age for social security to flush out enough of the "coasters" to put more income in the hands of younger folks more inclined to spend it rather than save it.

I am a coaster...come and get me!

I don't think I ever coasted. I retired as soon as I could, but meanwhile put all my effort into my job when I was being paid to do it. Maybe I was a chump, but I have to be true to who I think I am.

I'm not consciously coasting as I count down towards my final working day, but I am already working with my employer to pass over some management/admin functions to others. This will have the effect of shortening my working hours a bit.

I thought I was coasting

I am a teacher and have dealt with discipline for over 30 years. It can destroy your soul and make you bitter so if you can keep a sense of humor and actually like that part of the job, you have it made. Sort of like I am teaching them right from wrong type of attitude.
We have a new principal and he is keeping a low profile. However, I feel I have been supported by him over the last year. Today, I found out how nice it is when you and your admin are on the same wavelength. I had been dealing with a very rude grade 11 boy and his mother was being totally uncooperative. I had kept my principal in the loop and today he showed up just as the two boys came for their time out. He did not say a word....just sat down in my classroom and gave me some quiet support. "The big guns were drawn" Somehow they understand power and will probably not try that again. On the other hand I went out of my way to discipline two boys who were trying to wander the hallways without permission. I was trying to uphold school policy and he made an obvious show of supporting me. Believe me, this is rare. I was going to retire in a few years, but if this guy stays around for a few more years I just might stay also.

Believe me, this is rare. I was going to retire in a few years, but if this guy stays around for a few more years I just might stay also.

It's great that you have a good boss like that. I believe that the top reason people quit is bad bosses. An unsupportive boss was a major reason I ER'd when I did.

I'm in a coasting mode, continuing the j*b as long as it feels right. The funny thing is that my coasting approach seems to make me more appreciated. If something is dumb I don't do it. If something has value I explore and share. I'm not afraid to call BS and be the voice of reason up the org chart because I don't worry about perceptions and future impact.

Yep, sounds like Office Space. The Bob's love me.... :dance::dance:

Gosh, if that was coasting, I spent almost my entire career coasting.

The last years I went though the motions on the review processes. They had their reviews and infinitesimal pay raises. My 401k balance went up and down daily more than their raises for the year. And the theory was I was suppose to work harder for a .1% improvement in pay.

Far easier to give my self a raise by not working as much or as long.

I do the same, just sign the form and get out. This year will probably be the best (worst?), for coasting. I can get most of my work done in half a day if it wasn't for unneeded interruptions.

Like others, no one here is able to do what I do. They'll likely outsource my main function or hire someone with experience at a higher pay and maybe hire an additional person to do my other functions. Either option will cost them more than what they pay me.

I think they realize that, so I can get away with a few things like telling my boss he's an idiot (but not in those words). They have no idea when I'm retiring, so it will be a momentary shock. Besides, they might provide for a week of cross-training, so any advance warning is wasted while I'll likely get hounded. They'll get minimal notice from me.

It's great that you have a good boss like that. I believe that the top reason people quit is bad bosses. An unsupportive boss was a major reason I ER'd when I did.

I think you are right. I actually really liked my boss and think I ended up staying longer than I had planned to as a result.

I haven't read any of my performance appraisals in six years. Raises are good, all the "heavy-lifting" in fine tuning the department is done. Now I spend most of my time mentoring younger supervisors and delegating nearly all but the top decisions.

Maybe I am retired and just showing up for the money? I don't mind getting up and going to work, but it's annoying to have to hang out for 7 or 8 hours before driving back home. I think I will be out of here by year end.

Related article:
The problem’s not just one for workers, though. Post–financial crisis, companies have noticed a rise in so-called “hidden pensioners,” Credico says. These are individuals who can’t afford to retire, but they check out on the job. Plenty of older folks enjoy the stimulation of work, but hidden pensioners punch the clock for a paycheck alone, and their performance suffers for it. The good news is that these laggards are spurring companies to design more effective retirement plans, Credico says — a self-serving motivation, for sure, but at least it’s ultimately to participants’ benefit.
10 things 401(k) plans ...

In a sense, most anyone still w@rking after FI is coasting. But in my experience folks in that mode tend to remain very productive for their organizations. I'll bet most bosses prob appreciate the honesty they get from "coasters" knowing their opinions/recommendations are not influenced by the drive to "win" at office politics or step on colleagues to reach for the next promotion.

On the coasting subject...I've been there, done that.

Honestly...It really gets boring and time stands still. I have discovered that you are better off being productive with your projects and getting things done. Time flies by, and (believe me), you will be having more fun. Just sitting around with no purpose is a slow death...

QUOTE: "I never realized there were actual names for this"

The megacorp I work at the term RIP is used (retired in place). Not sure how common that is.

For me I'm not wired that way and prefer to be busy and challenged vs. sitting back and waiting for assignments to come my way.

Having said that, not many folks who coast are penalized in the current environment. Although if it's really blatant and basically coasting and being a PIA, then when layoffs come around those folks are no more.

I realize there are different strokes to work ethic but at the end of the day I don't want to be known as that guy who no one wants to approach and every boss just hopes he/she just goes away. Seems like an odd way to approach w_rk.

Like my dad used to say "I get to go to work". Cheers. Let the barbs fly my way!!

When I was active duty we called the ones coasting along as being a "Road(y)" or on the "Road Program". "Retired On Active Duty".

Then there's being a "Rod", for us civilians. That's being "Retired On Duty".

On the coasting subject...I've been there, done that.

Honestly...It really gets boring and time stands still. I have discovered that you are better off being productive with your projects and getting things done. Time flies by, and (believe me), you will be having more fun. Just sitting around with no purpose is a slow death...

That all assumes you have such options. Unless I go elsewhere to another employer, I don't have the option of getting really involved. Enforced passivity.

I remember my first encounter with coasting: My supervisor would inform us he was "heading to Lincroft", implying a remote office of our company, in a nearby town. The reality is that it was also where his health club was.

I never coasted. While I didn't care about my boss I did care for the people under me who depended on my work...I wasn't going to let them down. I like the term RIP...never heard that, but did hear ROJ. Retired On Job

I'm "coasting in terms of"
- Not fighting to get another promotion. I'm happy with what I have achieved. The only "rung" left for me it the highest level of technical professional in my Megacorp, but I really have no interest in those job responsibilities - particularly the 'advanced' level of corporate politics which has already been a joy to deal with. :(
- Not needing another raise. I'm perfectly happy with my salary level, DW and I are comfortable in living below our means but still able to live well, and are using the headroom to continue to increase our savings/investing.

This does not mean I'm working any less. I'm still supportive of (and still fortunate to be seen as an asset to) my management, ensuring that project deadlines are met, being proactive with coming up with new ideas, developing new assets for the company, mentoring others, etc. But I am doing more delegating, letting others volunteer more for tasks and being more of an advisor, and devoting more time to learning new skills and technologies that will not only be useful in my current job but useful once I retire.

If I were fully coasting I'd be in "react mode" and just working in response to requests. I'm not yet on the sidelines of the "rat race", I'm just calmly walking around the track (and noting where the track exit is.) :D

I called it retired in place (RIP although nobody but me used the acronym)

I spent my last 5 months that way and frankly it was getting painful at the end. I couldn't have done it much longer, since I was feeling guilty.

I'd also say there is difference from coasting and this.
If I were fully coasting I'd be in "react mode" and just working in response to requests. I'm not yet on the sidelines of the "rat race", I'm just calmly walking around the track (and noting where the track exit is.)

I think a combination of experience, and temperament (INTJ) which most of us have on the board makes it relatively easy for us to step back and say. No boss this really isn't a crisis which requires everybody to work 60 hours weeks to solve the problem. Let's work smart and not crazy hard, so when a true crisis comes we are able to really handle it.

It is like the experienced Master Sergeant who tells the young Lt. or Captain boss you need to take it easier on the soldiers, you'll get better results.

Not being overly concerned about promotions and raises (and especially being FI) gives you the freedom to do that.

On the other hand true coast implies doing the bare minimum to avoid getting fired, and I think that is inherently unfair to your coworkers and/or customers.

Well, my coasting is over. I'm getting assignments my boss of 8 months can't do, which were his predecessor's responsibility. It won't do them much good as he'll be on his own next year and won't have anyone to do his work for him.

Do they still have jobs where the boss can do the job the subordinates do? The last boss I had who could do the work I was doing was over twenty-five years ago.

Apparently, today, the boss can't even do the job his predecessor did last year, so they have to throw out the duties to subordinates and hope someone else ca figure out how to do it.

Back
Top Bottom