Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-24-2013, 01:07 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I was active duty we called the ones coasting along as being a "Road(y)" or on the "Road Program". "Retired On Active Duty".

Then there's being a "Rod", for us civilians. That's being "Retired On Duty".
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2013, 01:14 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
On the coasting subject...I've been there, done that.

Honestly...It really gets boring and time stands still. I have discovered that you are better off being productive with your projects and getting things done. Time flies by, and (believe me), you will be having more fun. Just sitting around with no purpose is a slow death...
That all assumes you have such options. Unless I go elsewhere to another employer, I don't have the option of getting really involved. Enforced passivity.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:20 PM   #43

I remember my first encounter with coasting: My supervisor would inform us he was "heading to Lincroft", implying a remote office of our company, in a nearby town. The reality is that it was also where his health club was.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

I never coasted. While I didn't care about my boss I did care for the people under me who depended on my work...I wasn't going to let them down. I like the term RIP...never heard that, but did hear ROJ. Retired On Job
FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:36 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I'm "coasting in terms of"
- Not fighting to get another promotion. I'm happy with what I have achieved. The only "rung" left for me it the highest level of technical professional in my Megacorp, but I really have no interest in those job responsibilities - particularly the 'advanced' level of corporate politics which has already been a joy to deal with.
- Not needing another raise. I'm perfectly happy with my salary level, DW and I are comfortable in living below our means but still able to live well, and are using the headroom to continue to increase our savings/investing.

This does not mean I'm working any less. I'm still supportive of (and still fortunate to be seen as an asset to) my management, ensuring that project deadlines are met, being proactive with coming up with new ideas, developing new assets for the company, mentoring others, etc. But I am doing more delegating, letting others volunteer more for tasks and being more of an advisor, and devoting more time to learning new skills and technologies that will not only be useful in my current job but useful once I retire.

If I were fully coasting I'd be in "react mode" and just working in response to requests. I'm not yet on the sidelines of the "rat race", I'm just calmly walking around the track (and noting where the track exit is.)
jollystomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:50 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

I called it retired in place (RIP although nobody but me used the acronym)

I spent my last 5 months that way and frankly it was getting painful at the end. I couldn't have done it much longer, since I was feeling guilty.

I'd also say there is difference from coasting and this.
Quote:
If I were fully coasting I'd be in "react mode" and just working in response to requests. I'm not yet on the sidelines of the "rat race", I'm just calmly walking around the track (and noting where the track exit is.)
I think a combination of experience, and temperament (INTJ) which most of us have on the board makes it relatively easy for us to step back and say. No boss this really isn't a crisis which requires everybody to work 60 hours weeks to solve the problem. Let's work smart and not crazy hard, so when a true crisis comes we are able to really handle it.

It is like the experienced Master Sergeant who tells the young Lt. or Captain boss you need to take it easier on the soldiers, you'll get better results.

Not being overly concerned about promotions and raises (and especially being FI) gives you the freedom to do that.

On the other hand true coast implies doing the bare minimum to avoid getting fired, and I think that is inherently unfair to your coworkers and/or customers.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #47

Well, my coasting is over. I'm getting assignments my boss of 8 months can't do, which were his predecessor's responsibility. It won't do them much good as he'll be on his own next year and won't have anyone to do his work for him.
akck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:38 AM   #48

Do they still have jobs where the boss can do the job the subordinates do? The last boss I had who could do the work I was doing was over twenty-five years ago.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #49

Apparently, today, the boss can't even do the job his predecessor did last year, so they have to throw out the duties to subordinates and hope someone else ca figure out how to do it.
akck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:47 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Do they still have jobs where the boss can do the job the subordinates do? The last boss I had who could do the work I was doing was over twenty-five years ago.
+1

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:34 AM   #51

I'm coasting right now, and have been since I had to enter the IT world again, back in 2007.

I like assignments to be challenging and rewarding, but my enthusiasm for the IT field has waned so much the past few years, I just don't find any of them rewarding. It's just a job.

When I first started my career, my brother-in-law told me an interesting story. Goes something like this...

At the start of your career, you're given some Silver Bullets, but you don't know how many. You're free to fire a Silver Bullet at any cause you want to, and if you fire one, you'll probably win. But of course, you could have fired your last one and you wouldn't even know. So before you go in guns blazing and fire a Silver Bullet, make sure it's a cause really worth fighting for, because it might be the last you'll ever win.

I think I fired too many early on being too passionate about trying to do the right thing for customers, the company, fellow employees, etc. While I won a fair number of causes, as time went by, the office politics, bureaucracy, and preference for doing the "right now" thing rather than the "right" thing just made the battles tiresome and not worth the stress.

So, sadly...I stopped caring.

Now, I'm content to show up, do my job, and go home after 8 hours. No more, no less. And, if I'm able to semi retire in a couple years, I'll leave and never look back. I'll leave the door open to do something on my own, run my own business, etc. But God willing, I will NEVER (and I mean NEVER) work in an office, cube, IT, 9-to-5 job ever again.

So I completely relate to coasting. Hadn't heard the term before, but definitely know the feeling.
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:00 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Well I suppose I have to be grateful that my company doesn't go through the fiction. My last performance review was ... at my prior employer, twelve years ago.
Boy, I miss performance reviews, both giving and getting. Those years with a divisional raise pool of 1 or 2%, to be divvied up among all staff. Nothing like realizing that the difference in raises between an "earnest, hardworking go-getter" and someone phoning-it-in was $15 / payperiod, after taxes. Not exactly a great motivator.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:23 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree-dweller View Post
Boy, I miss performance reviews, both giving and getting. Those years with a divisional raise pool of 1 or 2%, to be divvied up among all staff. Nothing like realizing that the difference in raises between an "earnest, hardworking go-getter" and someone phoning-it-in was $15 / payperiod, after taxes. Not exactly a great motivator.
Yep - that brings back memories. One of the things I did learn pretty early on in my career is to not rely on salary increases at my current employer to increase my earnings. I also found it more profitable to stay somewhere two to four years, learn all I can, and then shop myself around and jump ship.

My first few years out of college, I was also the "loyal" employee who figured I'd be somewhere for 20 years. I quickly learned there's very little corporate loyalty left, so why should I extend so much loyalty to my employer? I figure I would be loyal two weeks at a time (with every paycheck). That was it. If somebody else was willing to pay more, and I liked the career prospects better somewhere else, I'd jump ship and leave.

Reviews have never meant anything to me. Just another BS slip of paper to file away (or better yet, recycle in the shredder). It's also another reason I never wanted a management position. I knew I couldn't toe the company line and pretend reviews meant anything. I'd be more apt to be honest with people and tell them it was hogwash, and if somebody wanted to advance their career, it's best to look out for oneself, because the company isn't going to do it for you.

We got a new VP of HR where I'm at right now, and he said something recently that shocked me. He doesn't believe in performance reviews. He wants to adopt a completely different method of reviewing people and salary increases throughout the entire year, rather than doing a bunch of BS reviews once a year and filling out paperwork that doesn't mean anything. Good for him! It'll be interesting to see if he can pull it off.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:21 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
We got a new VP of HR where I'm at right now, and he said something recently that shocked me. He doesn't believe in performance reviews. He wants to adopt a completely different method of reviewing people and salary increases throughout the entire year, rather than doing a bunch of BS reviews once a year and filling out paperwork that doesn't mean anything. Good for him! It'll be interesting to see if he can pull it off.
That likely means that there will be no salary increases at all.

- George Orwell

Old 02-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I now have to submit just about every document to a group of lawyers for review before it can go to the client. Good-bye schedules and deadlines. But WTF do I care? Its a paycheck.

- George Orwell

Old 02-27-2013, 11:52 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
That likely means that there will be no salary increases at all.
That very well could be.

BUT...I'd rather them scrap the broken review process altogether and tell people that up front than string people along making them fill out worthless paperwork and then get something miniscule that's nothing more than an insult.

That's why I always found the typical review process nothing but a bunch of BS. The paperwork is just there to satisfy the lawyers, nothing more. It doesn't help anybody do any career planning or move up in an organization. If you want to move up, you have to take that upon yourself. Keep your skills up to date, keep your ear to the ground, and always be mindful of what's happening in your marketplace. I was always a believer that in order to move up, you had to move out. Another reason reviews mean so little to me.

One interesting side note to all this...in working for a startup, you go in with the knowledge that any financial upside doesn't come from salary increases. While nice, they are icing on the cake. The real payoff comes via liquidity events (assuming somebody has enough of an ownership percentage). So even if they didn't give me anything, it's not unexpected, and I'm not holding out for it.

In fact, I'd rather them pay new incoming talent more to attract them, with the caveat that they're getting FAR fewer options. If that means I have to sacrifice salary increases for the new people, so be it, I'm cool with that. It just means if the company is successful, I'll be the one dancing out the door in two years
Old 02-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

uhm - Coasting Mode - I like it. I have been coasting for 5 yrs. Sounds like a good bumper sticker - "Chill - coaster driving"
Old 02-28-2013, 12:11 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree-dweller View Post
a few years back they changed the geographical adjustments for the salary scale - forcing us onto a much lower scale. As a result - we all skewed higher on our pay grade levels and got 0% raises.

A coworker actually asked - "So exactly HOW LITTLE do I have to work to earn my 0% raise. Since working hard seems to lock it in, I'd like to optimize this.".

The whole room laughed... except the director who was the stuckee telling us about the new policy. He knew he had a problem.

When things are bad, weekend work, long hours, ridiculous deadlines... we ask each other that question. The guy who asked it left a few years ago - but he lives on in infamy.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:11 PM   #59

I had a couple of coasters as employees. It seemed that once you got up to a certain age (45+ ?) and you realized you weren't going to be promoted to a higher classification then those who stayed coasted. I was OK with coasters in my group as long as they were doing the w*rk that needed to be done. They were low drama employees.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
A coworker actually asked - "So exactly HOW LITTLE do I have to work to earn my 0% raise. Since working hard seems to lock it in, I'd like to optimize this."
Awesome!
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote