Join Early Retirement Today

College financial aid for children of the retired
Old 05-17-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

College financial aid for children of the retired

I think this topic has popped up every now and then, but I thought we needed another thread on the subject.

We have a less than a year to go before we start filling out financial aid forms for college. Our income in 2009 will less than half of what it was in 2007.

I'm wondering if there are specific strategies that might be helpful to snag more financial aid. My spouse is working basically full-time, so in my retirement, we should look like a typical family barely making ends meet with one working parent along with a stay-at-home-parent. At least that's the plan.

I believe TromboneAl got more financial aid for his daughter after he retired. How did any of you other early retirees make out with the college financial aid office? Any tips, ideas or comments that you can pass on? Basically, what can we expect? Thanks!
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2009, 09:59 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I am of no help on the subject with no kids. But I always thought that the financial aid looked at both parental assets as well as income. So would seem to me that a FIRED person is basically hosed?
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:44 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Depends on where your assets are located. If in a tax-sheltered account, like an IRA, 401k, etc, then the assets are invisible to the financial aid process. The policy reason is to encourage people to fund those accounts. Assets in taxable accounts and real estate are visible and considered available to be liquidated to fund college expenses, to the tune of about 5% per year. There are all kinds of allowances and exceptions, and the whole thing is quite complicated.
dt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:43 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'd suggest looking at the current school-year FAFSA forms online, and get a feel for the whole thing. You can figure out what the expected contribution from parents, and from kid are. Knowing that in advance, maybe that would steer you towards some action for the next tax year and the next school year.

Edit - added link

http://www.ifap.ed.gov/ifap/index.jsp?

Look into the Worksheets, Schedules and Tables box
Old 05-18-2009, 05:01 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Thanks, our estimated family contribution (EFC) appears to be about $90,000. I have to figure out if that is per year or per 4-years.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:06 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

That's per year. Since the most expensive schools are "only" $50,000 per year, the result is that you do not need any aid and will be a full-price retail customer. Unless your student wins aid based on merit, as opposed to need. Time for you to check into that.
dt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:15 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Social Security paid for my college education. I was 15 when my father ER'd at 62, and I started college at 16. He received an "under-age 22, full-time student living at home" SS supplement. It wasn't much, but in-state tuition was not very costly, and I did live at home. And graduated with straight A's and no student loans
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:49 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

SS also paid for some of my wife's college education: her dad died when she was a freshman. I'd have to die for SS to help my kids.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:59 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
SS also paid for some of my wife's college education: her dad died when she was a freshman. I'd have to die for SS to help my kids.
You could arrange it.