Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-08-2016, 01:26 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrinch View Post
Another vote for the Davis-Sacramento-Stockton area. Bay Area access to the west, Sierras to the east, you're right on the delta, reasonably mild weather year round, and a number of nearby universities and colleges.
For those who like sunny days, Sacramento made U.S. News' 10 sunniest places to retire list:

The 10 Sunniest Places to Retire - US News

Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2016, 09:20 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A buddy of mine just relocated from Boise to Sacramento - I think his housing costs (and general cost of living) went up a at least 50%....we typically get people moving the other way

Old 04-08-2016, 09:56 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by AboutThere View Post
I have a 7 year FIRE horizon but DW will still be working for a few years after I dial it back. She's a university administrator and we like the balance and vibe of university towns.

We currently live in the upper Midwest and would like someplace warmer, and we'd like to start spending some longer vacations as dry-runs in some of these places.

My hobbies are fishing and fine and performing arts. She likes access to beaches.
I would love to be someplace where there is cold water (trout) fishing, as well as bass fishing. I'm not a saltwater guy. The place people always suggest is Asheville so that's on the list - any others?

College or university town
Warm/mild weather
Good fishing for trout and bass
Access to beaches within 4-5 hour drive
Access to museums and classical music within 2 hours
What kind of fishing?

For example Tampa, FL has numerous universities in area, but not sure if the fishing matches what you are after.

Tennessee has numerous universities, and people there LOVE the outdoors. There are places in TN where it does not get above 90 degrees in summer (Norris Lake Region) and there are enough Universities around the various cities.

And to think outside the box- West Virginia. It's cheap, it has "some" colleges, and the culture as a whole values going outdoors.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:18 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
A buddy of mine just relocated from Boise to Sacramento - I think his housing costs (and general cost of living) went up a at least 50%....we typically get people moving the other way
Pretty different vibes between Boise and Sacramento. Which one is the best fit for a retiree probably depends on many individual factors besides weather and cost of living.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 04-09-2016, 10:14 AM   #45
Dryer sheet aficionado

Add Oxford, Mississippi to the list of great southern college towns. Plenty to do from an arts, literature and sports perspective. Great dining and shops. Low cost of living and plenty of places to fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-12-2016, 01:59 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

A belated "thank you" to everyone who replied, as I was on a glorious vacation visiting DD in NYC.

Some odds and ends, addressing various issues that popped up:

I will have a couple of years to scope out retirement places while my DW is still working at our current location. We also aim to take some long vacations as test runs.

I'm fairly confident that my lifelong interests will remain intact through retirement, though I find it fascinating that others haven't found that to be true. There have been some changes (e.g., I no longer sing publicly, but still attend concerts) but the core interest remains.

It seems like that stretch from Tennessee through NC and western Virginia might be tough to beat. Rare combination of mountain trout fishing and warm water lakes. Maybe not the last word in arts stuff but enough at a local university to keep me going.

I had frankly forgotten about the trout fishing in Sacramento.

As far as fishing goes; I'm a minimalist - no boat, just waders and a rod.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:58 PM   #47

Charlotte, NC - look at Lake Norman, or further south to Lake Wyle.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/No...3f30f5e922ae19

Lots of beer, wine, and what have you...
Old 04-13-2016, 08:44 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by AboutThere View Post
A belated "thank you" to everyone who replied, as I was on a glorious vacation visiting DD in NYC.

Some odds and ends, addressing various issues that popped up:

I will have a couple of years to scope out retirement places while my DW is still working at our current location. We also aim to take some long vacations as test runs.

I'm fairly confident that my lifelong interests will remain intact through retirement, though I find it fascinating that others haven't found that to be true. There have been some changes (e.g., I no longer sing publicly, but still attend concerts) but the core interest remains.

It seems like that stretch from Tennessee through NC and western Virginia might be tough to beat. Rare combination of mountain trout fishing and warm water lakes. Maybe not the last word in arts stuff but enough at a local university to keep me going.

I had frankly forgotten about the trout fishing in Sacramento.

As far as fishing goes; I'm a minimalist - no boat, just waders and a rod.
I have gone fishing at Lake Moomaw in Virginia, and that was a fun trip. We were all novice fisherman and didn't catch much, but someone told us we needed to fish deeper.

Blacksburg VA or Roanoke VA might be the culture location+college+fish location... I have been there for work and interviews before, and I believe the reporter sitting next to me on the plane told me how cultural it is for what is not really a small town (80th biggest city in country I think).
Old 04-13-2016, 09:19 AM   #49

I'm not into fishing but understand central PA has great fly fishing. However, not so warm in the winter. I agree with the folks about looking in Virginia and vicinity. It is beautiful, plenty of great college towns too.

Davis? It's local terrain is flat as a pancake. It gets really hot in the summer, too. It's not far from the Bay Area and the Sierras, but for me it would be too far. After living in CA for 39 years, I really like the east for it's year round beauty. In our area we have several colleges, many local theaters and music groups. California is a cultural wasteland in comparison.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:43 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
I'm not into fishing but understand central PA has great fly fishing. However, not so warm in the winter. I agree with the folks about looking in Virginia and vicinity. It is beautiful, plenty of great college towns too.

Davis? It's local terrain is flat as a pancake. It gets really hot in the summer, too. It's not far from the Bay Area and the Sierras, but for me it would be too far. After living in CA for 39 years, I really like the east for it's year round beauty. In our area we have several colleges, many local theaters and music groups. California is a cultural wasteland in comparison.

Central PA is fly fishing paradise, but as you guess it's the weather that's the issue there.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:15 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Ideal weather is somewhat in the eyes of the beholder, as a skier and golfer are going to have different visions of ideal, but a person named Kelly Norton mapped out his ideal weather places in the U.S. in one map, which might coincide with good fishing days, too:

kelly norton: The Pleasant Places to Live
Old 04-13-2016, 03:53 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting. I live in a middle of the pack place, so 300 days of bad weather and 65 of pleasant. Sounds like my work life
Old 04-13-2016, 03:56 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Ideal weather is somewhat in the eyes of the beholder, as a skier and golfer are going to have different visions of ideal, but a person named Kelly Norton mapped out his ideal weather places in the U.S. in one map, which might coincide with good fishing days, too:

kelly norton: The Pleasant Places to Live
dude has zero credibility if Houston isn't in the bottom 5