Join Early Retirement Today

College towns with good fishing to retire to; suggestions?
Old 04-02-2016, 02:07 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a 7 year FIRE horizon but DW will still be working for a few years after I dial it back. She's a university administrator and we like the balance and vibe of university towns.

We currently live in the upper Midwest and would like someplace warmer, and we'd like to start spending some longer vacations as dry-runs in some of these places.

My hobbies are fishing and fine and performing arts. She likes access to beaches.
I would love to be someplace where there is cold water (trout) fishing, as well as bass fishing. I'm not a saltwater guy. The place people always suggest is Asheville so that's on the list - any others?

College or university town
Warm/mild weather
Good fishing for trout and bass
Access to beaches within 4-5 hour drive
Access to museums and classical music within 2 hours

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2016, 07:02 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Huntsville, TX

Ok, It won't exactly fit all your criteria, but close. (not much on trout fishing) but Lake Livingston (30 min east) and Lake Conroe (30 min south) are great fishing lakes.

45 min to 1 hr. to Houston, Ballet, Opera, Museum of fine arts, and just about everything else you would expect.

Sam Houston State University is located in Huntsville, with U of H, Rice and several others located in Houston.

Weather - Warm, well hot in the summer, but A/C makes it livable.

Galveston is 2 hours south. Ok beaches, great sea food.

Best of all, reasonable real estate prices, and no state income tax. (I hesitate to mention that last one as all government get their due from one form of taxation or another, In TX. Property Tax is high, but values generally lower)

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:32 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Durango co
Eugene or

Are two that may be of interest

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-02-2016, 07:55 PM   #4

When I first started I reading I thought immediately of Bellingham, WA... But then I read you want warm weather (not in B'ham), and don't like salt water. It has some lake fishing, though.... But most of my friends in that area go out on the sound.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:44 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AboutThere View Post
I have a 7 year FIRE horizon but DW will still be working for a few years after I dial it back. She's a university administrator and we like the balance and vibe of university towns.

We currently live in the upper Midwest and would like someplace warmer, and we'd like to start spending some longer vacations as dry-runs in some of these places.

My hobbies are fishing and fine and performing arts. She likes access to beaches.
I would love to be someplace where there is cold water (trout) fishing, as well as bass fishing. I'm not a saltwater guy. The place people always suggest is Asheville so that's on the list - any others?

College or university town
Warm/mild weather
Good fishing for trout and bass
Access to beaches within 4-5 hour drive
Access to museums and classical music within 2 hours
Springfield MO.

Good/great fishing some in parks. Ever go spoon billing?

College town(11 of them)

Weather uh, not a great fit but the spoon billing makes up for it. Probably warmer than the upper Midwest.

Beaches, on the lakes

Museums either St. Louis or KC are within 2 hours.

Plus a really low COL!
Old 04-03-2016, 10:05 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Not to be a wet blanket, but my FIL was a very avid fisherman - until the retired. After that he rarely fished. Maybe it fulfilled a need that went away after retirement? Just saying....
Old 04-03-2016, 10:19 AM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Not to be a wet blanket, but my FIL was a very avid fisherman - until the retired. After that he rarely fished. Maybe it fulfilled a need that went away after retirement? Just saying....
Good point! Maybe it would be a good idea to retire first and see how it goes, and THEN move after a year or two.

I had the same thing happen with gardening. I envisioned a lovely, peaceful retirement doing lots of gardening, but in the 6+ years since I retired I haven't gardened for even ten minutes.

The retirement that one imagines is sometimes a little different from the retirement that one finds one really wanted all along.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:35 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Echoing travelover and W2R above, I had a list of activities I planned to get involved in after retiring - some new, some existing. With a couple of exceptions, it didn't happen. Things I thought I'd love to do once I had the time weren't all that interesting - I suppose because I no longer needed them as an escape from work.

Waiting a while to make any big change in retirement, especially relocation, is very good advice.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:50 AM   #9

Another opinion along these same lines. I'm still haven't gotten to the list of "things to do during retirement". My priorities changed in a most unexpected way, away from the things I learned to enjoy while working and toward the things I enjoyed earlier in life.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:50 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

The OP did say he was looking at dry-run long vacations.

I want to know which beach is within 4 hours of Durango, CO!

How about Chapel Hill, NC? I don't know much about fishing but would assume you have to go to the mountains to do cold water fishing in the southeast, so that would be a 2-3 hour drive. Depends on what you mean by warmer weather, I guess. Ashville winters can be cold, but not upper Midwest cold.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:54 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Echoing travelover and W2R above, I had a list of activities I planned to get involved in after retiring - some new, some existing. With a couple of exceptions, it didn't happen. Things I thought I'd love to do once I had the time weren't all that interesting - I suppose because I no longer needed them as an escape from work.

Waiting a while to make any big change in retirement, especially relocation, is very good advice.
Exactly the same story for me. I actually do most of the things I wanted to do, but not nearly to the extent I imagined I would.

We have moved twice since my ER, but both were within the same area (a circle with an eight mile radius covers all three homes). I believe we finally got it right with the last one, and there won't be any more moves (except maybe to a CCRC).
Old 04-03-2016, 12:03 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Another vote for stuff (including hobbies) can change. Not for everyone but it has for us too.

Before I retired we shot pistol frequently, like 25-30k rounds yearly, we've gone twice in almost three years.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:14 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Lots of college towns showed up in Forbes 25 Best Places to Retire a couple years ago.
25 Best Places To Retire | Forbes
Old 04-03-2016, 12:45 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I think that pier fishing, or if the jetty is not hazardous, jetty fishing, is likeliest to retain a retiree's interest. I sure knew a lot of retired guys in SoCal who fished almost every day. It is not just a hobby, (ie a time waster) it is good high quality food that would be expensive if purchased. People are designed to find food, not to waste time and money. You have to live near the pier or jetty, so that a lot of time or money is not wasted getting there and back, finding bait, etc.

If it were me, I would find someplace good on the gulf coast or Florida Atlantic coast and find a place near the pier or piers and try it out.

Ha
Old 04-03-2016, 12:48 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I think that pier fishing, or if the jetty is not hazardous, jetty fishing, is likeliest to retain a retiree's interest. I sure knew a lot of retired guys in SoCal who fished almost every day. It is not just a hobby, (ie a time waster) it is good high quality food that would be expensive if purchased. People are designed to find food, not to waste time and money. You have to live near the pier or jetty, so that a lot of time or money is not wasted getting there and back, finding bait, etc.

If it were me, I would find someplace good on the gulf coast or Florida Atlantic coast and find a place near the pier or piers and try it out.

Ha
From the OP:

Quote:
I'm not a saltwater guy.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:57 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Southside VA has Buggs Island/Kerr Lake/Lake Gaston and is about 2-3 hours drive to the beaches of VA/NC. No university towns there, but if one lived in the environs of Chapel Hill/Raleigh/Durham it would be about 1.5 hours to the lake.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:05 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Without trying to sort through any lists, if you just asked me if there was a place in the USA that met all the criteria in the OP, I would say absolutely not.

Maybe if the OP were to prioritize or weight the criteria, it might be possible to suggest some places that were a decent fit, but otherwise I just don't see it.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:21 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I don't know much about fishing, but Davis, CA is a college town within 2 hours of all the museums and performing arts in the San Francisco Bay Area and maybe an hour or so to the Sierras, where there are many forests, rivers, parks and campgrounds.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 03:12 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
From the OP:
Thanks, I did notice that, but I once had the same idea. The main difference is that in saltwater you are likely to catch a lot of quality eating fish and not spend a lot of money getting there and back.

Anyway, it seems so much more inviting to live on the coast walk down to the beach, buy a beer and some bait, and head out on the pier to catch more fish than you can carry home than to drive miles into the mountains, catch some undersized trout and buy a lot of gas.

But, for fresh water meat fishing I would figure you are going to need a boat, and locate near one of the big impoundments in Texas or Southwestern KY and TN, and start hauling home your fish.

Ha
Old 04-03-2016, 07:50 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Thanks, I did notice that, but I once had the same idea. The main difference is that in saltwater you are likely to catch a lot of quality eating fish and not spend a lot of money getting there and back.

Anyway, it seems so much more inviting to live on the coast walk down to the beach, buy a beer and some bait, and head out on the pier to catch more fish than you can carry home than to drive miles into the mountains, catch some undersized trout and buy a lot of gas.

But, for fresh water meat fishing I would figure you are going to need a boat, and locate near one of the big impoundments in Texas or Southwestern KY and TN, and start hauling home your fish.

Ha
Makes sense to me, but I don't know how committed fisherman are to their types. I could see someone being a lot more relaxed on a boat in a lake than a pier. But I assumed since he mentioned not wanting to do saltwater fishing, he meant it.