Join Early Retirement Today

Re: comments from coworkers in my last two weeks
Old 05-09-2007, 09:55 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

One of these days someone is liable to point out that, just maybe, there really are emotional/psychological differences between men and women that suit each better for different roles and that, by and large, the majority of people feel more satisfied with their lives while living with this as a general basis. 

Sure as hell won't be me, though, because I think this is being insensitive.  

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2007, 10:39 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
Women do not like working for other women.
Women would rather work for a man.
Women do not like working for weak men.
Women do not like working for sexually aggressive men or women.
Women would rather work in a department with a mix of both men and women.
Women do not like to work in a department with ALL women.
Most men do not like working for women.
Some men dislike working in a group of mostly women; others can adjust and learn how to survive and still be successful as a minority.
Yep, you got it right, all of your Women... statements are correct for me. I'd add that I am happiest when the fewest possible number of co-workers. Your statement about women basing decisions on the sizzle instead of the steak are spot-on.

Oh, yeah, and women get on my nerves, I'll say it out loud. See Joss, it isn't insensitive, it is fact!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:53 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
I treat all my employees equally in promotions, pay, raises and project giving. However, the amount of time spent with talking, discussing, explaining and mostly listening is 50% higher with women than most men in all the groups I have managed. I am not saying this is bad; just different.
Considering what we put up with in the all-guy meetings, I'd have to say that this aspect of working with women is very good!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 11:30 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I totally agree with Sarah and Steve. Nothing worse than working for a woman or a whinny man.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:07 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Why do these blanket generalizations bother me?

They certainly don't match my experience.

Oh well, since I don't live in a career world anymore it really doesn't matter.....

Audrey
Old 05-10-2007, 12:14 AM   #26

I have to agree that I will not work for a woman. Every female boss I have had has been a right proper bitch, self-centred cows all about promoting themselves.

Put me in the camp of those who would rather work for a man any day. However, I don't like having a weak boss of either sex.

I also agree I do not like to work with all women. I work in a male dominated industry, and of those at our location who are drama queen, troublemakers they are all women.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 12:50 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, gender stereotyping gone mad! Some of the opinions posted here are why there is still a glass ceiling!

FWIW, my technical lead and program manager are both women, both well respected, and both making serious six figures. And one has four kids, too. Her husband stayed home. Times they are a'changin'.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:04 AM   #28

Orchidflower, I found an interesting analysis on the white knight issue in "The Cinderella Complex" (Colette Dowling) . You might recommend it to your co-workers...
Old 05-10-2007, 06:21 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Part of the reason that stereotype exists is there generally (but not always) an element of truth to them. Imagine it is late at night and you are walking alone in a bad part of town street you see three people approaching-- are you pleased or afraid when they turn out to be 3 old ladies returning from the church bingo game?

I think there is still a large number of woman who are waiting for a man to take care of them, and sometimes their careers suffer because of that attitude. I think this is more common among woman without college degree than those with but, I have known a woman with engineering degrees from MIT and Harvard MBA who still had waiting for a white knight syndrome. Now my sample base of 20 something women is pretty small, but my perception is that desire to be a stay at home mom is actually a bit higher now than it was 20 years ago , when I was young.

Personally 5 of my ~15 bosses were female (which I think is unusual for the electronics industry) andI never had a really bad female boss, in fact one of my favorite bosses was a woman. I personally much prefered having female employees, a lot less likely to split and generally very hard working.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:17 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse
I have to agree that I will not work for a woman. Every female boss I have had has been a right proper bitch, self-centred cows all about promoting themselves.
Put me in the camp of those who would rather work for a man any day. However, I don't like having a weak boss of either sex.
I also agree I do not like to work with all women. I work in a male dominated industry, and of those at our location who are drama queen, troublemakers they are all women.
My goodness. Do you suppose the feelings & respect are mutual?

I've worked for good bosses & bad bosses. In my Navy experience the bad male bosses far outnumber the bad female bosses, despite their relative numbers, and the good female bosses are disproportionally represented in comparison to the good male bosses.

USNA Class of 2010 entered plebe summer with over 20% women. Sociologists claim that this is the tipping point where gender equality begins to accelerate, and women have been attending service academies since 1976. Finally-- it took over a generation.

I've always felt lucky that I ended up in a community and at commands where I didn't have to compete for fitness-report rankings against my spouse. But women would be the best thing in the world for the submarine force-- along with Hispanics, African-Americans, Asians, and even Democrats.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:20 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
... and even Democrats.
Good grief! Who are you and what have you done with Nords ?!?!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:49 PM   #32

Chris2008, yes, since I have a Psychology degree I have read all those books. But thanks, and you are right.
Nords, of course, you probably didn't run into those kind of women in the service...WE HOPE! (My son is considering the JAG corps right now.)
Personally, I have worked for both women and men in a professional capacity for IBM. I have sold both women and men in advertising. Insofar as working is concerned, I find women and men both equal really. Small differences like, maybe, a woman who has had a child is a tad more understanding when you have to leave early to pick yours up; but, in general, especially in sales, all they care about is the bottom line. You make the quota or more at the end of the month, and they could care less about any other little quirks you have. I would work for either again if I were in that position.
On the other hand, I have worked for men who were so out for themselves and so insecure that they jacked any strong woman who threatened them out of any accolades. So, for those of you who think all women bosses must just be bitches, wait until you get some guy who's behavior is exactly like what you are accusing women bosses of. What a little eye opener that is going to be for you, I guess.
I have had this too in my long career in sales.
And, I have worked around women who were so insecure they were threatened of their sales staff overtaking them and doing better than she did...and she was our sales manager. Thankfully, IBM fired her bigtime finally.
Oh, yeah...I've had my own business with 15 employees and made a conscientious effort NOT to do any of those things myself that I had done to me earlier in my career. I must have done okay, because I closed the business over 3 years ago and still hear from some of the employees saying hi. I tried my best, anyway.

Working for a woman or man, it all depends on the CHARACTER of the individual!!!!

Old 05-10-2007, 02:25 PM   #33

Heck, off the top of my head, I can think of 6 real bitches I've had to work with over the years. But, get this...only two of them were women!!

I tell ya, there ain't too much worse out there than a bitchy man!
Old 05-10-2007, 03:05 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC
For this reason, I could never work (again) for a woman boss; I don't think they are as fair and reasonable as male bosses.

Sarah
Ouch. (This is my second "ouch" this week). I am a retired former president of a law firm which had about 75 employees. I believe I treated people fairly and reasonably, but you would have to ask them. Though I did have occassion to pound my first on my desk and raise my voice. Once.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 03:40 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Though I did have occassion to pound my first on my desk and raise my voice. Once.
Video. We want video.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 03:41 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have had many jobs and even more bosses. The best boss I ever had was a Chinese woman. We didn't get a long for the first year because she wouldn't listen to me and made me do everything her way. Later on, she told me why: She was doing the jobs of three people in the company and didn't have any time to figure out whether I knew what I was talking about. After a year she let me do my job (real time programming) the way I wanted. That was the second best job I ever had after the first year.

Worst boss: insecure male. Most interesting boss: literally crazy: manic man.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:10 PM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Though I did have occassion to pound my first on my desk and raise my voice. Once.
Martha's new avatar...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:35 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords

USNA Class of 2010 entered plebe summer with over 20% women. Sociologists claim that this is the tipping point where gender equality begins to accelerate, and women have been attending service academies since 1976. Finally-- it took over a generation.
Just a curiosity question on this statement... because I see similar statements about other things... but then will ask... what was the percent of the 'applying class' were women... I don't know if this info is even available as I believe they are nominated by their representative (or senator??)...

Way back in '76 I was in NJROTC... we had one of the largest groups around.. like 300.. we had about 260 men and 40 women.. for a 13% level... I would not expect more than 13% would be at the next level...

But, since college is over 50% women.. it does seem like 20% is low...
Old 05-10-2007, 04:43 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I must be lucky... I have not had any really BAD boss.... I did have a few where we did not see eye to eye and I told them so... working for Mega has an advantage in that there are HR people that put up barriers to just firing someone because you do not like them...

I have had in the neighborhood of 30 bosses... my most favorite was a man... #2 a woman, #3 man, #4 5 and 6 woman...

I have seen woman who care, and women who want to get ahead.. same as men.. I have seen workaholics, but mostly men...

As someone said, it is the personality that matters to me most... not their gender.. (I was about to say 'not the sex'... but I was sure someone would have run with THAT statement )..
Old 05-10-2007, 04:57 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I work in HR, so our group currently has 1 man and the rest are women! I agree with the posts about not wanting to work for a woman or a weak man myself, but I wonder how the women bosses (or the weak male boss) feel about working with other women?

I always have to watch what I say and make sure I say hello to everyone when I pass by their office or I'll hurt their feelings - or worse - get dinged on my upward feedback! Oh - and the worst thing!!! --- I also have to buy everyone presents for every holiday ...easter, birthdays, anniversaries, etc! Maybe I'm just cheap (I think buying a small christmas present and then taking them out to lunch for their bday is acceptable by the way) but I AM trying to be FI and LBYMs but since I'm the boss, I'm obligated to reciprocate with presents for everything else!!!!!!!! The managers for example, give their staff or co-workers presents for the holidays and so of course, since I am the 'big boss', I feel obligated (because they ask me what I plan to give!) to do the same thing....unfortunately, they only have to do it for their direct reports or peers, but they expect me to do it for everyone! They also spend at least $25 - $50 so I feel cheap when I don't match the expense. My husband, on the other hand, isn't expected to reciprocate with gifts at all -- his staff would be very happy with a holiday card!