Join Early Retirement Today

Community Theater
Old 06-20-2008, 07:39 PM   #1
Administrator

Community Theater

On the list of possible "things to do all day" after retirement, I can now enthusiastically recommend community theater.

This past weekend, I made my stage debut in Jekyll & Hyde, the Musical, as part of a community theater group (for those who know the show, I was Simon Stride). It was a tremendous amount of work (especially given the fact that I am still employed during the day), with rehearsals every night the last two weeks, but also a tremendous amount of fun. I met many new, friendly people and did something I would have never anticipated doing. If I get the chance, I will gladly do it again.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2008, 07:49 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I agree! My son is working on a degree in theatre. He works for ASU in the scene shop and also acts when he can. Right now he is stage managing for the local Comm College in a production of The Secret Garden. I do stage mom stuff all the time and have a ball with it. Doubt I will ever try-out for a part but do enjoy volunteering in support areas. Lottsa fun and neat people!
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:57 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Heh, feels like I'm posting to all the "hobby" threads. I think I must be a dilettante.

The last show I was in was a Gilbert & Sullivan operetta, Rudigore. I was just in the chorus. It was fun, but a lot of work -- and a lot of the groups also need the cast members to pitch in with set construction, which is again a lot of work.

When I was in high school I was in a number of shows -- South Pacific (Emile de Beque), Camelot (Mordred), and Oliver (Bill Sykes). I was also in the chorus for two other shows, Can-Can and Once Upon a Mattress.

When I got to college, I thought about minoring in theater. My freshman year, though, I auditioned for a play (for credit) and got a couple of lines in a production of Eric Bogosian's Talk Radio. The problem was that I got suckered into being Master Carpenter -- which was kind of beyond my skills. The set was designed by a designer of sets for soap operas. The set was the interior of a radio studio and was very labor intensive. At one point I worked out it for 20 hours in a row before I fell asleep on the set where I was found a few hours later. That whole experience really burned me out.
Kronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 09:04 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Might be worth pursuing when I'm re-REd...

As a young lad, I participated in two (maybe three) "variety shows", fundraising endeavors of our high school alumni association. It was mostly solo and group performances of songs from popular musicals of my parents generation.

Year one, I did "Deep In The Heart Of Texas", interestly enough, solo. I remember being scared $hitless. Year two I was part of a group of three or four kiddie couples singing and signing to "By The Sea". For some reason I remember doing a third year, but can't remember any other performances, so I could just be hallucinating...

Anyway, fast forward to 1970. Our high school chorus, of which I was a rookie member, started a tradition which continues to this day, of producing "Spring Kapers", a variety show where band and chorus members displayed their "talent" through intstrumental and vocal performances, "dance" routines, comedic skits, etc. I was infamous for several years for my and a good friend's performance of "Noah", the Cosby skit. Ironically enough, though it was encored two years later in my senoir year, there was some concern that it would offend some folks, what with poking fun at religion and all. But I digress...

I was in some ensemble and chorale numbers as well, and an "dance" routine. I say "dance", but it wasn't Gene Kelly. Just some simple motions, hopefully performed in time with the music.

Year two, we performed another Cosby skit, "Russell, my little brother, whom I slept with...", another rousing success! No religious controversy this time...

Yours truly on the right...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:50 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I just adore theater and being involved with it.

I play in the band, and usually when shows come through town for several weeks, we don't have much to do with the actors or the production in general. But then sometimes we get to be a part of putting together a show from the ground up, and then we really get to experience all the crazy effort that goes into it, there really is an amazing energy to it that I have yet to experience anywhere else.

My best memory is rehearsing the band for The Little Mermaid trial run with Oscar winner Alan Menken sitting in and making changes to his music as we went. They kept changing music every night for a month trying to get it to work just right for the scene. Pretty fascinating.

To me, there is nothing more exciting than being involved with a show that is being put up, the kids in the cast, directors, everyone is so fired up. It is a huge difference from the usual show that has already been touring for a year or so.
igsoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 07:01 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Several years ago, I was involved in community theater. The play was "My Fair Lady". I didn't have a role as an actor...I painted the scenes. A lot of work, I must say, but worth every moment that I put into it. It was a great time.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:04 PM   #7

In the early 80's I worked as stage crew on almost every show for about 3 years at one of the local
community theatres (now a parking lot). As a young programmer, it exposed me to a group of people
waaaaaay outside my work friends - a significant broadening of my horizons. I highly recommend it.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:32 PM   #8
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
Heh, feels like I'm posting to all the "hobby" threads. I think I must be a dilettante.

The last show I was in was a Gilbert & Sullivan operetta, Rudigore. I was just in the chorus. It was fun, but a lot of work -- and a lot of the groups also need the cast members to pitch in with set construction, which is again a lot of work.

When I was in high school I was in a number of shows -- South Pacific (Emile de Beque), Camelot (Mordred), and Oliver (Bill Sykes). I was also in the chorus for two other shows, Can-Can and Once Upon a Mattress.

When I got to college, I thought about minoring in theater. My freshman year, though, I auditioned for a play (for credit) and got a couple of lines in a production of Eric Bogosian's Talk Radio. The problem was that I got suckered into being Master Carpenter -- which was kind of beyond my skills. The set was designed by a designer of sets for soap operas. The set was the interior of a radio studio and was very labor intensive. At one point I worked out it for 20 hours in a row before I fell asleep on the set where I was found a few hours later. That whole experience really burned me out.
Kronk, I just did a stint in Ruddigore as well. I had performed the role of Richard in college, and thought I'd give it another go many years later. I was in the chorus this time in a staging that carried high production values, and was loaded with talent. Very satisfying, but as you say very time consuming.
beldar3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:28 PM   #9

My 21 year old son is the sound chairman for a wonderful community theater. They are currently doing Ragtime.

Weathervane Playhouse - Akron, Ohio

The volunteers really make this place wonderful, everyone puts in so much time and effort and the productions are just fantastic. But he's been a volunteer on almost every production and sometimes it feels like it just sucks the life out of him. I tell him he really needs to learn to delegate better.

He's in college, majoring in Technical Theater, so this is great experience for him.
Sue J is offline   Reply With Quote