Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-21-2008, 06:35 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For what its worth Ha, I wouldnt buy a condo anywhere under any circumstances unless it was the only way to own in a major city that I planned to live in for a very long time.

As far as roommates, I've had a lot. Fond memories of most of the female ones. Not so much for the rest.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2008, 10:12 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
a little wasteful but so very american.
you'll feel less guilt after perusing this:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/21/us/21condo.html

Old 08-22-2008, 02:04 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
you'll feel less guilt after perusing this:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/21/us/21condo.html
I looked at a very nice apartment in the building I mentioned above but it costs $480,000, with almost another $1000/month for condo fee and taxes. Way out of my class.

I also got to thinking- Seattle is a car city, very few people live downtown and none of my friends or family do. How could they visit me? Parking is close to impossible except on Sunday's or at night. Maybe the ring of hills around the city center are best after all. Back to the drawing board.

Also, thanks to the various people who have mentioned things I should be aware of, cautions, etc. I do much better with simple things, and sometimes I am not as methodical as I probably should be. Sometimes I have been called impetuous. But I can't afford a blunder in this thing. Who knows, unless it starts to seem obvious that bargains abound, I may be renting a year from now, right where I am.

Aside from one house, the only real estate I have ever bought was from loggers who just wanted to move it and get something else to cut. The pieces always looked like the wrong side of the moon, but a few $$ of bulldozer time and voilá there were homesites.

I figured I could make a profit dead drunk.

Anyway, it makes me anxious (as in nervous) to approach something where I know less than anybody else involved with the deal.

Ha
Old 08-22-2008, 07:39 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Sometimes I get the feeling from your posts that you would enjoy a smaller community than Seattle. The kind of place where you can find your niche. Where else appeals to you, at least face value?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:40 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Sometimes I get the feeling from your posts that you would enjoy a smaller community than Seattle. The kind of place where you can find your niche. Where else appeals to you, at least face value?
Well, I seem to have a different profile from many posters here. But as far as I know I am not attracted to a small place. There are many cutesy smaller towns and tourist areas around here. I never go to any of them, always preferring to spend any free time right here. I need the variety and diversion and resources of a big city. Also, I get along well with my family and do not want to leave where they are. I realize that some have said at least that they don't want to be too close to family- not me, the closer the better IMO. The annual grandpa visit seems sad to me.

I prefer coastal CA weather and beaches to here, but that is hardly a smaller place! There is no place that I know of that is attractive to me that would solve the main negative for me here- cost of living.

Ha
Old 08-22-2008, 10:51 AM   #26
gone traveling

Lots of interest in living in the big City. Here's one solution to the high prices. http://sanfrancisco.bizjournals.com/...ml?t=printable

When I was in my just over 200sf Waikiki rental I decided that I actually could live in that small a space since most of my living would be outside on the beach and in the park. I actually will live in 500sf.

Ha, have you looked around for the new communal living arrangements where there are small apartments/bungalows and some communal space in downtown locations? I haven't seen anything here in the City but read about several projects in Berkeley?
Old 08-22-2008, 11:06 AM   #27

Except for the age of the units - these look like subsidized housing AT about $1,000 a sf. Wow downtown SF is EXPENSIVE - makes homeless LBYM.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:00 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Well, I seem to have a different profile from many posters here. But as far as I know I am not attracted to a small place. There are many cutesy smaller towns and tourist areas around here. I never go to any of them, always preferring to spend any free time right here. I need the variety and diversion and resources of a big city. Also, I get along well with my family and do not want to leave where they are. I realize that some have said at least that they don't want to be too close to family- not me, the closer the better IMO. The annual grandpa visit seems sad to me.

I prefer coastal CA weather and beaches to here, but that is hardly a smaller place! There is no place that I know of that is attractive to me that would solve the main negative for me here- cost of living.
Guess I mis-read your feelings on that. The ideal, I suppose, is a large, diverse city with a solid compatible neighborhood to meet our needs as social bugs.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:19 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Guess I mis-read your feelings on that. The ideal, I suppose, is a large, diverse city with a solid compatible neighborhood to meet our needs as social bugs.
This is a good point. There are several areas in the city that are much less anonymous than where I live now. But OTOH my building is full of outgoing people, and some of the neighborhood shops are personal too.

Ha
Old 08-22-2008, 01:35 PM   #30

If I put my townhome on the market, I will likely rent for a time until I figure out what's what with the economy. But owning a townhome or condo would be last on my list of preferred housing in the future.

I'll give you another example why. Several days ago the neighbor's dog began barking and crying all day. The neighbor's left their windows open so the dog could have fresh air, I suppose, and that made the dog noise even louder. Contacting my HOA management resulted in a "courtesy letter" going out. When the dog was still barking misearably the next day I contacted HOA management again and they said they can only send out one letter every 10 days. WTF? They said I should contact Animal Control to "expedite" resolving the situation.

So, now it's the neighbors responsibility to deal with this dog situation. What good is the HOA management in this? No much. I'm going to be knocking on my neighbor's door this evening.

IMO, owning a townhome/condo has all the responsibilities of home ownership with all the disadvantages of apartment living.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:34 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

OldBabe,
Perfect example. Buying a condo, apartment, trailer, parked car, just another way of saying, you get the neighbor as a sign up bonus. Got to love neighbors.

Of course, owning a home is not a lot better, move into the 39,000 sf home and have Bon Jovi move next door. Same problem.

Ha,
a nice trial run of really living downtown Seattle would be to have lunch at the diner on the corner of 2nd and Pike. Just did that. I loved it.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:05 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuf View Post

Of course, owning a home is not a lot better, move into the 39,000 sf home and have Bon Jovi move next door. Same problem.

Bon Jovi could move next door anytime .
Old 08-22-2008, 08:13 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Yikes, Bon Jovi is like so ancient. Ick on a loud ole rockers. I suppose Gary Glitter rocks you also?
Old 08-22-2008, 08:19 PM   #34
Administrator

Quote:
OldBabe,
Perfect example. Buying a condo, apartment, trailer, parked car, just another way of saying, you get the neighbor as a sign up bonus. Got to love neighbors.

Frank and I have been thinking about our neighbors after we move north. Right now our neighbors are reasonable, but we both know how miserable life can be with rotten neighbors.

It would be especially nice if we could get two homes right next door to each other. Of course, an objectionable neighbor could move in across the street. Maybe we could find such houses with an open field across the street, or a cemetary or park.

When I was in high school, I knew a girl whose family owned an entire block or compound. Every house (mansion) was owned by various relatives. I thought that was interesting, though maybe a bit extreme.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:32 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ha,
a nice trial run of really living downtown Seattle would be to have lunch at the diner on the corner of 2nd and Pike. Just did that. I loved it.
That is the place that looks like an old fashioned diner, on the south side of the street just up from the market? I've gone by there a lot, but never ate there.

I walk downtown all the time, I am quite close. Maybe sometime we can meet for coffee or a drink down that way.

Ha
Old 08-23-2008, 08:09 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Good luck on your search Ha! Not sure I would want a roommate now though. I enjoyed roommates back in my 20's, but I'm too set in my ways at this point. A dog is good though. I can bitch at her and she never complains.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:42 PM   #37

We had a condo in downtown Sydney in the 90s and I would have to say never again. The location was great, however the hassles we had with noise, the Singaporean karaoke singer on one side and the Japanese exchange students who came home with all their friends at 2.00 a.m. every day, soon made us realise it was a mistake. We also found it a pain in the butt to pay for facilities we never used, ie. the pool and gym.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 07:30 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Ha, next time I visit Seattle, lunch is on me. But it will be a real dive with food cooked by minimum wage chefs, so probably awesome.

I'm not a local and the diner I mentioned was on the North East side of Pike/2nd or 3rd. The outside says Burgers, Seafood, etc. There will not be a single patron with a job or bank account, my kinda crowd. And the food awesome and filling.

The counter lady will either be a 60ish black lady with reading glasses and pincurl bangs or a 50ish Samoan lady.

A better meal is not found in Seattle for this old dude.

BTW, I viewed a 16th floor apartment in the Centennial up in Belltown has a complete Puget view and was awesome (Cliffor Fletcher). The McGuire (Seth) had a 22nd floor looking toward downtown. The Metropolitan has 30th floor at near $1900 (Jenn). Bell Tower (Katrina) had a G unit for $1580 looking at downtown.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
That is the place that looks like an old fashioned diner, on the south side of the street just up from the market? I've gone by there a lot, but never ate there.

I walk downtown all the time, I am quite close. Maybe sometime we can meet for coffee or a drink down that way.

Ha
Old 08-23-2008, 11:06 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Maybe it just me but I would wait until a building had 10 years since construction/conversion. THEN you can see the quality. I wish I had the energy to write more....

Dang, I hate being in a cast! It's an internet gag. DH just told me that the surgeon showed him a picture of her work while I was in recovery... not only the plate & screws I was expecting, but wiring. No wonder it hurt ... VM is using Group Health Surg Center, I was impressed with the skills & sense of humor of the crew.