Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Confessions of a FIREd Jobseeker (almost
Old 06-30-2006, 12:24 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG51
Something like a tee time starter at a golf course...
I've had that job. You've probably seen quite a few starters in action-- it'll test both your diplomatic skills and your patience.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2006, 12:51 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

if working while you're working is moonlighting, then working while retired must be sunbathing. you don't need a job, you just need some suntan lotion. i'd try to make sense of what i just wrote but i need to go work on this tan.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 08:14 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
if working while you're working is moonlighting, then working while retired must be sunbathing. you don't need a job, you just need some suntan lotion. i'd try to make sense of what i just wrote but i need to go work on this tan.
I think LG4NB's weekend is off to a good start!
Old 06-30-2006, 11:56 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
We will declutter the house, paint, re-organize the landscaping, upgrade the kitchen, chill out at the cabin, take some trips, see some of our far flung family, spend a lot of time together, eat better, exercise more and sleep more.*
Lordy! It took me FIVE years to do all that! And then I finally figured out what to do next......(certainly not work!)

Audrey
Old 07-01-2006, 07:25 AM   #25

Stikes me that folk with some kind of guarenteed heath coverage after ER are repulsed by returning to the workforce. In some cases others have no choice.

In my case I will have to leave the US when my current health insurance expires as I simply cannot get any coverage. Which really annoys me. Because in general I am very healthy. I just have a Pacemaker that will need replacing in 8 years, no heart damage or history of heart attacks, simply an electrical problem.

I will need to spend 5.2 months in Canada and then pay $800 for emergency coverage for the other 6.8 while away. Not so bad I suppose but it will require 2 smaller residences as opposed to 1 sensible one. I would prefer the latter but my hands are tied.

Sad really, if I was a poor or illegal alien I would get FREE health care.

Ian

Old 07-01-2006, 08:56 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
I tested the cost of individual policies for the two of us prior to retiring.* As expected, there were several exclusions for DW and the only real option I see when COBRA expires is the state high risk pool.* The combined monthly cost for my individual HSA policy and her pool coverage will be around 900/mo and that is for 2,500 ded.* By no means a budget killer, but I'd rather spend the money on something else.

If I remember right, you're living in/near San Antonio. As a fellow Texian, you're my pathfinder on the health insurance issue. I'm sure we'll get pushed into the wonderful high risk pool in a few years so I'd appreciate your insights as everything progresses.

When playing with my calcs, I put in a separate self-created annuity to cover heathcare until Medicare kicks in. Based on your numbers, I'm a bit low.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:23 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B
If I remember right, you're living in/near San Antonio. As a fellow Texian, you're my pathfinder on the health insurance issue. I'm sure we'll get pushed into the wonderful high risk pool in a few years so I'd appreciate your insights as everything progresses.

When playing with my calcs, I put in a separate self-created annuity to cover heathcare until Medicare kicks in. Based on your numbers, I'm a bit low.
Many of us here have the honor of serving as lab rats mine canaries. I'll post updates as the air turns bad rate rape progresses.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 10:11 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Anyone else had a near relapse, or am I the only semi-backslider around?
Well, it's not quite the same as getting a job, but I do generate enough 1099 income to fully deduct the cost of my health insurance.* *The income is mostly passive (but the IRS considers it earned income), and it does relieve some of the sting of insurance costs.

Sort of on topic: I've recently bumped into several semi-retired guys in my neighborhood.* *All of them have basically the same mindset I had when I first retired: goof off for a year, and then find something that pays well, is interesting to do, and provides complete freedom.* * These sort of gigs do exist, but you have to create them yourself.* *I had lunch with one of these guys on Friday, and he wanted to start sort of a local start-up brainstorming club.* *Once in a while, I feel the pull of the dark side.* *Usually, it passes.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:38 PM   #29

Ian

That's exactly how Americans feel!
Old 07-02-2006, 06:41 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454

That's exactly how Americans feel!
Just in case you did not know I am an American, but I happen to be Naturalized Canadian also.

SWR
Old 07-02-2006, 08:48 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454

Agree - a very sad statement!
Old 07-02-2006, 11:22 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Even sadder if it was true.

You do not get "free" health care as an indigent or illegal alien. You receive a service and elect to not pay for it. Anyone can do the same, just get to the point in your illness where you can present yourself at an emergency room. Wait all day. Get whatever care is needed to satisfy the 'emergency' and discharge you. Then dont pay the bill, like the poor and illegal aliens do.

That practice falls down a little bit when you go to collections and the rest of your credit rating drops in the bucket. Which to be fair isnt much of a problem for the poor and illegal aliense. Some of which do pay the bills for services rendered.

Back to the topic before someone brings up religion or other politics...

I thought about part timing it on a contract basis a couple of years ago. My old boss coyly pings me from time to time, although thinking about it, its been more than a year so perhaps he's given up. When I was pondering a part time option, I told him I had nearly run out of the personalized stationary and notepads the company gave me when I first signed up in 1992. That if I in fact ran out I might need to come back to replenish my supply. And that the next time he was in a budget meeting and the subject of cost cuts came up, he might suggest that they not buy a 14+ year supply of paper for new hires. Heck, if nothing else the original box full took up two entire drawers in a file cabinet.

I was cleaning out some boxes in the garage the other day and found four more large notepads, two small ones and a box of stationary. Hey, it was in the era before email fully caught on and I actually had to write a letter from time to time :P

So I guess i'm good for another couple of years of shopping lists.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 09:08 AM   #33

REW,
What blasphemy?* Shame on you.* A penance is required.* Send it to The Eagle Retirement Maintenance Fund.* Only after receipt will all be forgiven.* *

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:06 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
That practice falls down a little bit when you go to collections and the rest of your credit rating drops in the bucket. Which to be fair isnt much of a problem for the poor and illegal aliense. Some of which do pay the bills for services rendered.
My point exactly, you simply cannot get blood out of a stone. But the system will make you fall into that catagory sooner or later if you have a little cash they can take.

SWR
Old 07-03-2006, 12:50 PM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
REW,
What blasphemy? Shame on you. A penance is required. Send it to The Eagle Retirement Maintenance Fund. Only after receipt will all be forgiven.
Hey, gimme a break! I didn't inhale...or lie under oath.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:36 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I didn't exhale... :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 08:19 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B

When playing with my calcs, I put in a separate self-created annuity to cover heathcare until Medicare kicks in.* Based on your numbers, I'm a bit low.
I'm looking at the same, and a ladder of CD's might be a better option, just figure that capitol is DEAD MONEY , until Medicare kicks in.* Sure hope means testing never comes to Medicare.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:26 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712
I'm looking at the same, and a ladder of CD's might be a better option, just figure that capitol is DEAD MONEY , until Medicare kicks in.* Sure hope means testing never comes to Medicare.
As the anti-annuity troll, I meant laddered CDs for as far out as available and bonds with the correct maturities for the remainder. In addition to healthcare, I also "annuitize" my SS income that would also come due. The money isn't dead but it is committed.

There is a big (hopefully) jump in income/reduced expenses when the government portion kicks in.

I have to assume an inflation rate for this so there is a certain element of risk but for slightly over a decade it should be manageable.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:48 PM   #39

Quote:
if I was a poor or illegal alien I would get FREE health care.
Problem for any non-paying healthcare receiver is that while the ER can not turn you away; they only need to treat the synthoms - not the disease. Pablo enters the ER vomiting due to cancer; a little Pepto and send him on his way. No long term treatment need be committed.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:00 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan
Problem for any non-paying healthcare receiver is that while the ER can not turn you away; they only need to treat the synthoms - not the disease.* Pablo enters the ER vomiting due to cancer; a little Pepto and send him on his way.* No long term treatment need be committed.
Actually, that applies to MOST cases that end up in the ER. The ER is not where you go to be treated for chronic diseases. It is to "fix" immediate health issues that can be treated to:
1. Stabilize a major trauma case to preserve life and/limb until they can be moved into the facility for more direct intervention...surgery... ICU...hospital room, etc.
2. Treat immediate threat to life...asthma, heart attack, stroke, etc. to prevent further damage.
3. Treat less immediate injury to prevent further damage or to relieve pain...broken arm, burns, cuts, impaled objects, minor trauma, etc.
4. Provide temporary symptom relief for pain as an interim step prior to referal to primary care doctor or other practitioner.
5. General care clinic...treat symptoms of drug abuse, sexually transmitted diseases, chronic disease symptom abatment, and related states.

It is not so much a case of who has money as much as it is just the wrong facility for treatment of chronic diseases or minor illness or injuries that CAN wait for less immediate care facilities.