Confessions of a FIREd Jobseeker (almost

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
13 months into retirement (age 59) and on COBRA for health insurance for the DW and I, the reality of getting coverage for us on the open market is looming. I tested the cost of individual policies for the two of us prior to retiring. As expected, there were several exclusions for DW and the only real option I see when COBRA expires is the state high risk pool. The combined monthly cost for my individual HSA policy and her pool coverage will be around 900/mo and that is for 2,500 ded. By no means a budget killer, but I'd rather spend the money on something else.

So...I've given some thought to finding a part time j*b with benefits. After I retired, DW's grandmaternal instincts overrode her common sense and she now takes care of three grandkids while their parents work. I've not had any real problems entertaining myself, but it has put a crimp in our ability to travel.

Today's paper had an article on a j*b fair for part-time work, including benefits. Conducting immediate interviews. What the heck, I decided to go talk with them just to see if it would be an option to cover the medical insurance cost.

I went in, got handed an application form and sat down to fill it out. Halfway through the form, while listing personal references...I stopped. I looked around at the spectrum of humanity around me and thought, "These people may have to be here, but I don't. What the heck am I doing?" I got up and walked out.

Anyone else had a near relapse, or am I the only semi-backslider around? :)

If you get a job, you will have to change your name to:

REWhoops!

REWahoo! said:
Anyone else had a near relapse, or am I the only semi-backslider around? :)
I was offered a civil-service position six months after I retired.  It was a lot of fun to think about for a couple days, but the hassles (traffic, aloha attire, an occasional midwatch) made it easy to turn it down.

Earlier this year I agreed to help a shipmate write curriculum for his training business. I've asked him to defer my subcontractor salary to eventually convert into shares. Three months into the business it looks like he's folding without any revenue or even contracts. I hope that doesn't count against my ER record...

Dumb question, but how catastrophic of a coverage do you need?  Is the premium break significant for a deductible of $5k or even $10K?

ReWahoo: I haven't. (I'd lose respect for anybody that would have me as an employee). ;)

In reading your post, I felt a little bit like that famous quote from a young child that said to
"Shoeless Joe Jackson" of Chicago Black-Sox scandle that was accused of throwing the World Series, "Tell me it aint so Joe".

Glad to hear that it "aint so Rewahoo".

Must say, you're walking on thin ice as a moderator, to even consider a radical move like that. :D

For your penance, say three "Hail Mary's", four "our fathers", and make a good act of contrition. :D

I RE'd at 48.  A year later a high profile employer called me and asked if I were interested in a position.  It looked interesting so I did that for 3+ years when I retired again to help my parents with major health/life transition issues.  17 years since I first RE'd: got a little bored until I ran for public office and the kids started letting DH and I give them a hand.  

Indexter said:
If you get a job, you will have to change your name to:

REWhoops!
After today's experience, I think I'm gonna just keep what I've got...

Nords said:
Dumb question, but how catastrophic of a coverage do you need? Is the premium break significant for a deductible of $5k or even $10K?

Far from a dumb question. Moving from $2,500 ded to $5,000 would save about $175/mo in our premium costs ($95 for DW, $80 for me). I would have probably gotten there eventually, but thanks for the question to help blow away the fog from my near-j*b experience. :eek:

(A side note: When checking the costs I discovered the state pool is increasing premiums approximately 5% the first of July, BUT they moved the zip code we live in from Area 2 to Area 1. Pool rates are determined by age, sex, smoking/non-smoking, and zip code area. Area 1 has the lowest rates, and this reduces the cost for DW's coverage another $45/mo).

Jarhead* said:
For your penance, say three "Hail Mary's", four "our fathers", and make a good act of contrition. :D
I'm leaning more toward HFWR's pennance...
HFWR said:
... drink three Bloody Marys... :p

And next time I plan to do my pennace drink them before I consider looking for a j*b. :D

Maybe the board could reword the pledge of the Preston Temperance Society,

This society was founded by Joseph Livesey, who was to become a leader of the Temperance movement and the author of The Pledge: "We agree to abstain from all liquors of an intoxicating quality whether ale, porter, wine or ardent spirits, except as medicine." The

We agree to abstain from all aspects of "work" or the pursuit thereof whether it be mental, physical or require answering to the man. 

Maybe establish a buddy system for those who feel the urge to test the waters. 

I can completely understand your temptation to make some money while you're still able-bodied. 24 hrs in a day is a lot of time; certainly enough to both work a bit and play. Most folks consider more (disposable) money a good thing.

Nope! - Just reading your post about filling out the application gave me chills down my spine!

I'd rather have a root canal - :-X

I did that - age 51 - an old boss called - peed in a cup, got fingerprinted - waited 24 hrs - went in - got my new badge - worked about a year.

That was 1994/5 - I was still in my mind unemployed - besides you guys hadn't really got rocking on this forum yet.

heh heh heh

REWahoo! said:
So...I've given some thought to finding a part time j*b with benefits.

Is that sort of like a friend with benefits?

REWahoo! said:
Jarhead, will you be my sponsor?

ReWahoo: Be glad to.!

The next time you have a radical thought re:
working for "wages", instead of upsetting the entire community, PM me, and I'll try and talk you down. :LOL:

Cost of health insurance is one of the reasons I am leaving NYC. I would have prefered to have NYC as my homebase. Even though my single cobra monthly cost is under $500 for PPO/Dental. When my cobra ends, I would probably be paying between $600 to $800 per month for PPO only. I am assuming NY won't have high deductable insurance for awhile still.

vagabond said:
Cost of health insurance is one of the reasons I am leaving NYC. I would have prefered to have NYC as my homebase. Even though my single cobra monthly cost is under $500 for PPO/Dental. When my cobra ends, I would probably be paying between $600 to $800 per month for PPO only. I am assuming NY won't have high deductable insurance for awhile still.

Vagabond,

In return for 20 hours a week of your time, you could stay in New York, make a little money, get free health insurance, and meets lots of cute young women with tats and navel rings.

What have you got to lose except those cozy evenings with Ms. Excel?

Ha

HaHa said:
Vagabond,

In return for 20 hours a week of your time, you could stay in New York, make a little money, get free health insurance, and meets lots of cute young women with tats and navel rings.

What have you got to lose except those cozy evenings with Ms. Excel?

Ha

It would be tempting if I didn't get violent convulsions just thinking about w*rk and job schedules. And leave my darlin Excel out of this, thank you very much. Besides I enjoy most of my pleasure with her in the mornings :)

I always said that I intended to do "something else"after retiring from my gummit position. But everytime I think about doing something else, I get the chills. I feel like I should be doing something; I just don't want to. It's good to hear that others have occasional "weak" moments too.

setab

If I do anything else it's gonna be fun and only a few hours a week. Something like a tee time starter at a golf course or a part time wine tester.  :)

DW and I plan on decompressing from Mega corp life for at least a year before we even think of doing anything on a routine basis again. We will declutter the house, paint, re-organize the landscaping, upgrade the kitchen, chill out at the cabin, take some trips, see some of our far flung family, spend a lot of time together, eat better, exercise more and sleep more.

After all that we will see what we would like to do in the way of volunteer work. We have no intention of w*rking again for a wage...unless it is a really fun job adn the money is just incidental to the fun. If I can ever find something like that I will let you know. ;)

DOG51 said:
Something like a tee time starter at a golf course...
I've had that job. You've probably seen quite a few starters in action-- it'll test both your diplomatic skills and your patience.

if working while you're working is moonlighting, then working while retired must be sunbathing. you don't need a job, you just need some suntan lotion. i'd try to make sense of what i just wrote but i need to go work on this tan.

lazygood4nothinbum said:
if working while you're working is moonlighting, then working while retired must be sunbathing. you don't need a job, you just need some suntan lotion. i'd try to make sense of what i just wrote but i need to go work on this tan.

I think LG4NB's weekend is off to a good start!

SteveR said:
We will declutter the house, paint, re-organize the landscaping, upgrade the kitchen, chill out at the cabin, take some trips, see some of our far flung family, spend a lot of time together, eat better, exercise more and sleep more. 
Lordy! It took me FIVE years to do all that! And then I finally figured out what to do next......(certainly not work!)

Audrey

Stikes me that folk with some kind of guarenteed heath coverage after ER are repulsed by returning to the workforce. In some cases others have no choice.

In my case I will have to leave the US when my current health insurance expires as I simply cannot get any coverage. Which really annoys me. Because in general I am very healthy. I just have a Pacemaker that will need replacing in 8 years, no heart damage or history of heart attacks, simply an electrical problem.

I will need to spend 5.2 months in Canada and then pay $800 for emergency coverage for the other 6.8 while away. Not so bad I suppose but it will require 2 smaller residences as opposed to 1 sensible one. I would prefer the latter but my hands are tied.

Sad really, if I was a poor or illegal alien I would get FREE health care.

Ian

Back
Top Bottom