Join Early Retirement Today
Old 09-30-2014, 11:01 AM   #41
Confused about dryer sheets
For many of us who ER, retiring in place is the only acceptable option. I have two kids in high school in the community where they have grown up and have every intention of letting them finish their upbringing with the community they know and at a school that has been outstanding for both of them. Now, once both have left the roost, revisiting the question of just how much aggravation (traffic, expense, etc.) is worth putting up with will need to be revisited. For us, climate, coastal access, great food, active lifestyle are the reasons we moved here in the first place (North County SD area), so the alternatives are a bit limited. The only contender in my mind might be the Central Coast (north or south of San Luis Obispo like Shell Beach or Cambria or surrounding areas are possibilities.)

LeapDay2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2014, 01:00 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by RetiredAndFree View Post
Am genuinely curious about how those of you looking to leave metro areas feel you'll fare in quieter, more rural areas?
The most rural area I've lived was in Teller County, Colorado, where my house was in a subdivision on 2-acre lots (not really that large, you can still see neighboring homes) about 45 mins west of Colorado Springs. I loved it, except for two downsides:

1. Grocery store can be 20-30 drive if you need something, or worse, you forget something on the drive home from work, and have to go out again.

2. Reliable, fast, broadband internet connectivity restricts where I can live. Fast internet access is a MUST-have utility for me now, just like electricity and water. I'm restricted to only buying homes in areas that have hard-wired (no satellite or wireless) cable modem or DSL.

I would always want to be within at least an hour to 90 minutes from a major city, because I do enjoy taking advantage of things in a city. I just don't want to live right in it, nor the suburbs.

If/when I move from Silicon Valley back to Colorado, I'm probably going to shoot for the mountain areas west of Denver along the I-70 corridor, like Evergreen or Genesee. That would give me enough of a living-in-the-mountain feel, while still being close to a major city.

At one time, I thought about trying to live way off in a rural area on a lot of acreage (like 50 or 100 acres) but I think I'd get too bored. That might be okay for a weekend or vacation getaway, but I don't think I could live in such a remote rural place permanently.

LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 04:53 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by RetiredAndFree View Post
Am genuinely curious about how those of you looking to leave metro areas feel you'll fare in quieter, more rural areas? In all of our US travels over the years, I find that while I enjoy visiting quieter areas, I really couldn't live in any of them. The things that make a metro area frenetic are the exact things that make them enjoyable to me - outstanding weather (at least in the case of coastal California), outstanding sports, entertainment and theater venues, and wonderful restaurants. Avoiding traffic, the biggest complaint for most, is pretty easy in ER.

Do you all really think adjusting to a loss of one or more of these will be feasible once you've become accustomed to them? I rather envy you if so, as I just don't see leaving my 'nice' metro area for life in the less expensive country, or interior states.
For me, yes. Although I live in near metro area, I pretty much stay home, play golf, or travel away from the area. I.e, I don't get much benefit of staying in metro area. Sure, there were times when we frequented SF, Oakland, San Jose for various reasons (Symphony, Baseball, exotic food, site seeing, ...). But those years are behind me.
Pura Vida
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 04:57 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Food is food, and there is much better local produce and great restaurants outside of the Valley. There are no farms left in the Valley, I am old enough to remember the cherry orchards that are now gone. It just means more places to explore. I left the area 15 years ago. Have found many amazing restaurants elsewhere. Our little town in Central PA boasts a a Greek restaurant I'm dying to try. I had grilled kangaroo at one of my favorite local places two weeks ago. We have found much more fresh local produce type places elsewhere. Washington DC boasts some of the best Ethiopian restaurants around, for example.

We visited Silicon Valley 3 years ago and was not that impressed, actually.

Don't worry, excellent restaurant adventures await you wherever you go.

You won't miss the ridiculous gas prices, the smog, the traffic, or the hype.
Good to know. We eat much more healthier at home. So, not frequenting the restaurants will help our health and pocket if it comes to that.
Pura Vida
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:02 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
The PATH train was the lesser or my two evils, or trains, I used for the last 7 years of working. It was the shorter of my two train rides and it was a reverse commute, going from 33rd Street to Pavonia/Newport in the AM and back to 33rd Street in the PM.

I did hear about PATH's problems last week and was glad I did not have to deal with them. There were several times in those 7 years I was detoured onto the WTC PATH line, sometimes from PATH and other times from no LIRR service into Penn Station, forcing met go to Brooklyn then take a subway to the WTC. A few times, I could not take a PATH train to Pavonia/Newport so I either had to go to Hoboken or Exchange Place and take the Light Rail to P/N. In that latter case I once took FIVE different trains to get to work - 2 LIRR trains ("change at Jamaica") to get to Brooklyn, then the NYC Subway, then PATH, then Light Rail! I was in a foul mood when I got to work that morning LOL!

After the 9/11 attacks, PATH was crippled with no service into lower Manhattan until November, 2003. My ride wsn't impacted directly but the trains were more crowded. At least I was mostly telecommuting so it was 12 days a week going to Jersey. I once had a PATH card machine steal my $20 bill and shut down without giving me a card (this was before only merchants sold those cards). I was made whole.

I remember one day in 2007 I went to Penn Station and the 33rd Street PATH station only to learn there was no PATH service to NJ due to flooding from heavy rains. I wasn't going to find a ferry or swim across the Hudson or take a costly taxi to the office so I just got back on the LIRR and went home. Cost me $15 and a vacation day and running around outside in the rain for nothing. I was in a foul mood.

Hurricane Sandy in November 2012 crippled the PATH trains for a while. Sandy also shut down the LIRR's Long Beach branch (one of 2 branches I could use for my LIRR trip) for a while, so a trip from LI to NJ would have included two nightmares.

PATH fares were always lower than the NYC Subway. The gap is shrinking, huh? I see it is going to cost $42 for a 20-trip card. The last time I used PATH in 2008 it was $26 for a 20-trip card, just raised from $24. My total commuting cost per day on both trains was about $20 per day when I ERed. Now it would be just over $26. I don't miss that, either.
Ugh. That was my future if I hadn't left LI when I did. My sympathies to you for enduring that.

“If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do.” - Warren Miller
Willers is offline   Reply With Quote