Join Early Retirement Today

Conservators...
Old 11-13-2005, 01:43 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Conservators...

This astounded me.* My experiance with conservatorships is in Oregon, where in my experiance judicial review was tight.* The following link discusses California.

http://tinyurl.com/8p24z

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Conservators...
Old 11-13-2005, 05:13 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
This astounded me. My experiance with conservatorships is in Oregon, where in my experiance judicial review was tight. The following link discusses California.
Do you know how it is in Washington (where I hope to become a prime
conservatorship target by growing old and rich) ?

Old 11-13-2005, 05:32 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I have no idea.* As a current resident of WA this concerns me too.*

When a conservitorship was established for my Grandmother (now ages ago) in Oregon by my Mother and Aunt they had to make a full report to the court regularly (my Aunt hated that).* When a guardianship was established in Oregon for my Father the judge really drilled down.* I thought that Oregon's practices were typical.*

Washington has been very progressive in supporting the development of Special Needs Trusts, but that may have been the result of pressure from the parents of disabled children.

I guess we all need to look at our home State's certification, bonding, and oversight of conservators.* Not only for our own sake, but for those we care about.

Old 11-13-2005, 06:41 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

If anyone tries this **** on me he/she will be experienced acute lead poisoning, muy pronto!

Ha
Old 11-13-2005, 06:47 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

This is horrifying! I wonder if there's another side to the cases mentioned in the article ... very often journalists miss out key pieces of information to make their story more dramatic.

At least it appears that you can take precautions to avoid falling into this trap. From the end of the linked article:

==========================================

Planning ahead

To avoid a conservatorship, or to ensure that someone you trust is put in charge of your affairs, attorneys recommend one or more of the following steps.

A durable power of attorney ...

An advance healthcare directive...

An advance nomination...

A revocable trust...

============================

Peter
Old 11-16-2005, 07:19 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Very interesting article . . . thank you for posting it.* As a couple with no children, my wife and/or I will become perfect candidates for this kind of a scam in our later years.* I also have a disabled friend who lives with elderly parents, who will eventually be unable to care for him.* I think I had better start exploring his and their options before "conservators" enter the picture.* * * *