Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-27-2015, 06:23 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
check6, thanks for your input! Well, I've opted for the small condo and could not be more excited. Although there is NO storage elsewhere, there are two huge walk in closets with nicely designed closet systems, and there is a utility room with the furnace, boiler, and stacked laundry units that also provides ample room for shelving. In my soul-searching over the last few weeks I've realized that I live in only a few rooms of my current much-too-big house. As my week in Europe this last week also confirmed, I am comfortable in small spaces (the Europeans certainly have this one down!). The purchase price (cash) and on-going costs of this condo are going to be so much lower than my current house that I am gleefully planning for nearly all new furniture, all of which will be carefully thought out to be useful as well as beautiful. Since I've lived in old houses all my life for the first time I will have luxuries like air conditioning and closets where I can actually hang clothes on hangers without them getting squished when the door closes! The more I think about it, the more the condo is ideal to a carefree living style which was really the aim as I approach retirement. It just came a little sooner than I expected, but it is good to now start radically downsizing while I have the health and energy to do so.
Congratuations! It sounds perfect for you. That really is a lot of storage for one person--if you fill it up, you'll know right away you have too much stuff!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2015, 04:57 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
check6, thanks for your input! Well, I've opted for the small condo and could not be more excited. Although there is NO storage elsewhere, there are two huge walk in closets with nicely designed closet systems, and there is a utility room with the furnace, boiler, and stacked laundry units that also provides ample room for shelving. In my soul-searching over the last few weeks I've realized that I live in only a few rooms of my current much-too-big house. As my week in Europe this last week also confirmed, I am comfortable in small spaces (the Europeans certainly have this one down!). The purchase price (cash) and on-going costs of this condo are going to be so much lower than my current house that I am gleefully planning for nearly all new furniture, all of which will be carefully thought out to be useful as well as beautiful. Since I've lived in old houses all my life for the first time I will have luxuries like air conditioning and closets where I can actually hang clothes on hangers without them getting squished when the door closes! The more I think about it, the more the condo is ideal to a carefree living style which was really the aim as I approach retirement. It just came a little sooner than I expected, but it is good to now start radically downsizing while I have the health and energy to do so.
Really glad to hear you have found someplace that meets all of your criteria. My condo sold before it hit the market; now I am on the lookout for a smaller condo to rent!
Lagniappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:27 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congrats, hope you enjoy you new nest and that it is everything you wanted. Have you sold the home you are living in, hope the timing on both homes works out to your timeline...
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:31 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations, Marita40! I hope your new home is everything you hope for.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:09 PM   #45
Dryer sheet wannabe

I've lived mostly in condos or apt.s after graduation, and, yes, there were a couple where neighbors/thin walls were a nuisance. But, for the most part, as a single, I didn't enjoy living in a house - it feels too big. HOA's could be bothersome, but, it's not like one has to deal with them frequently. In return, there's the advantage (as a single person) of security, no maintenance to worry about, the pleasures of city living, etc.

In terms of size, <1000 sq ft is difficult, although, it really comes down to what one's basic necessities are. I need a good amount of space for stereo, movie viewing (not necessarily home theater) and a 2nd BR/BA for visiting friends. That said, I've lived in 1 BR/BA places with ~900 sq ft without a problem. Visitors had to deal with the pull down sofa, but, way back then I didn't care and if the visitors did, it was their problem.

For furnishing a small space, here's some space saving Italian furniture ideas to consider.

All the best with your new condo!
LaVieQ is offline   Reply With Quote