Cook's Illustrated kitchen equipment recommendations

cashflo2u2

Recycles dryer sheets
Our 25+ year old cuisnart food processer's bowl cracked a few years ago and I was able to replace it by finding the replacement parts on line. The new parts never never did fit right and I broke one. So I decided to just buy a new food processor. I decided on and ordered a KitchenAid 12 cup based on a recommendation by Cook's Illustrated (both on their TV show, mag, and website). When I got it and opened the package the first thing in the box on top was a flyer for subscription to Cook's Ill. magazine. What the ___? What am I to make of that??

Are you suggesting there is some "pay to play" going on? I dunno, it does seem like a conflict. But...

I bought that same Food Processor based on the CI reccs (and probably some other on-line sources). DW did *not* want me to spend that much - she told me she saw cheaper ones at Target. I told her that my research indicated this was a better value.

She loves it - she has mentioned it more than once that she is glad that I bought the high quality item (and she *hates* to admit when I'm right ;) ).

I suspect it was more just a general marketing promotion, rather than any sort of payola.

edit/add - IIRC, the reviews on Amazon seemed to indicate that Cuisinart is not as good as it once was. I can't vouch for that, but the Kitchen Aid got high marks.

-ERD50

Well, thanks for the tips. That is one item I am definitely buying when I set up my own household again, so I'll look for the same.

I just got a new Cuisinart to replace mine after I broke it. I got the Cuisinart because it will allow me to still use the collection of a doz. slicing disks I have. It is much stronger than the old one was. I suspect my 25+ year old processor had more problems than I realized. I'm glad to have the new one and not have to trash or buy new disks as well.

The only recommendations I really trust are the Consumer's Reports - they do not have any kick backs and they do side by side tests under the same conditions.

I do like the fact that very often the recommended item, whether food or equipment, is one of the least expensive. They also explain their reasoning. I love the magazine but to save, got compilations of yearly issues at a discount book store.

Too many times I have gone to buy a Consumer Reports recommended mondel and the information is out of date and the model is not available. There can be huge differences between models. So I use it as a guide only.

Back
Top Bottom