Join Early Retirement Today

Cool!
Old 01-17-2006, 09:06 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cool!

Looks like George of "The Adventures of Tioga & George" has at least registered:

http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...profile;u=2058

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Cool!
Old 01-17-2006, 09:27 AM   #2
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

Welcome, George!

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 09:28 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How exciting!* A celebrity!*

I read your site every day George - Hope you'll become an active poster here.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:00 PM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

Dear Brewer, Dory and Sheryl,

Thank you sooooo much for the wonderful welcome. This forum showed up as a link in the service that I use to track my website, and I just had to take a peek!

Early retirement really gets to my imagination. If I had known that it would have been this good, I would have retired years ago!

Bye for now,
George
TiogaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 08:34 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Welcome George,
I'm looking forward to your contributions.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:53 PM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe

It is really coming clear that living here in Santa Rosalia is really inexpensive.* If you follow my blog, you may know that I do not pay rent.* I am dry camped for free in my RV.* My style may not be what most retired people would like or be comfortable doing.* Most people might want to live in a house.

I have asked many people here in Santa Rosalia what it would cost to rent a small home or apartment.* The answer is $140 per month average.* Where I am going with this post is, that if a person with low income chose to live in a small town in Mexico, it might be done for less than $1,000 per month.

For the month of December, 2005, my total expense was $595.* So far during this month of January, 2006, my expense to date is $328.* If I paid $200 to rent a small house, it would be perhaps $800 per month total.

So, if a person was looking for early retirement, perhaps a small town in Mexico might be a way to go?

Bye for now,
George
Old 01-18-2006, 08:18 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Hey George, would you mind answering some basic, dumb questions from someone who has never dry-camped? I am interested in how you manage some basic stuff over the long term dry camp, specifically:

- What do you do with the grey and black water tanks? How long til they fill up?
- Can you take a shower every day, or do you run out of water too quickly? Do you have to stick with "navy showers" or can you be a little more generous with hot water?
- How long does the propane generally last?
- How hard is it to cook in the galley?
- Is it quiet enough to sleep in the rig?

- Will Rogers
Old 01-18-2006, 03:57 PM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

Dear Brewer,

Let's talk about definitions, OK?* I call it dry camping when I am in a town.* In the forest, desert, etc., it is boondocking, because I am out in the boondocks (away from where people live).

One of my webpages is about Dumping holding tanks.* Take a peek at it, and this may help a bit.
http://vagabonders-supreme.net/DumpingTanks.htm

Taking a shower everyday is just too much for being out in the wilderness, unless you have a water source nearby.* *Like a creek.* I always take very brief showers.* My water tank is only about 35 gallons. Gotta be careful.

Propane during the winter lasts about three weeks.* During the summer, maybe 4-5 weeks.

My kitchen is not a galley.* Be careful, you might hurt MsTioga's feelings! * It is a full fledged kitchen, and is just plain wonderful for cooking.* I have prepared meals for four people in my kitchen, with no problems.

Quiet for sleeping?* *Depends on where I camp.* Here in Santa Rosalia for example, it is soooooo quiet at nite.* Except maybe when the wind is blowing really hard.

Bye for now,
George
Old 01-18-2006, 04:07 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Thanks, George. I read your site every day and I love it.

- Will Rogers
Old 01-18-2006, 08:10 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

George.....You Da Man!!!

My dad is looking at RVing (he has a fifth wheel type) once he sells his property. He doesn't need a bricks and mortar edifice to call home. He's looking forward to the day that the windshield is a painting that hangs in his house. I bookmarked your website so I can keep up with what you are doing, and I sent dad a link. Have fun.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:18 AM   #11

George, I'm on to you; every day now... bookmarked. Great site and keep it up.. please.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:03 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome George!!!
How cool it is that someone that I've been checking in on for the past year or so for RV info, shows up on the board that I check for FIRE info (so I can go RVing)....
Glad to have you here...
Adventuregirl
Old 01-19-2006, 09:41 PM   #13

Welcome George. I have read your site also and enjoy it very much. I look forward to your postings also!

Dreamer
Old 01-19-2006, 10:37 PM   #14
Dryer sheet wannabe

Dear dusk_to_dawn, Eagle43, Adventuregirl and Dreamer,

Thank you soooooo much for the wonderful words of welcome!

I am very interested in early retirement. I cannot do it (I am 68), but I may be able to share about retirement and help others to do it. Sharing is my favorite thing, as you may know. Sharing is the main thrust of all of my webpages.

Bye for now,
George
Old 01-24-2006, 09:38 AM   #15

George,
Love your blog -- you are a wonderful sharing person, and your lifestyle is one lots of people here dream about pursuing. Good job on the Spanish, too... I may be walking around NY this week singing your little ditty: "Me llamo Pancho Villa, yo vengo gasolina... 8)

Welcome to the forum.